Thread: Getting out of 2 strokes and into a brushless li-po. where to start?

Default Getting out of 2 strokes and into a brushless li-po. where to start?

(Edited for my new location and situation)

Hello,

I'm new to the electric side of this hobby. 11 years ago I was all in with a dumas 55" fiberglass V-hull rocking a 2 stroke zenoah G260 motor, surface drive, etc. It was unreliable, loud, but ran 48mph with a garmin strapped to it.

I'd like to get something electric, easier to maintain, (edited out the rough water requirement) and have fun on the lake in my backyard. I'd like to try a catamaran this time.

What should I start looking at?

I'm a bit clueless on the battery pack designations and technology. I have small li-po's in my micro helicopters and 1/18th scale brushless car, but a boat is a whole new level of li-po sizing.
    Last edited by zimm; 08-20-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Well after reading for 20 minutes, the Pursuit brushless v-hull looks like it might work. I'd like to stay around $400 with radio, battery, charger and boat. What's the hot set up for a pursuit? Prop, batts, charger, and radio to get?

Its a good boat:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...s+RTR+%26+ARTR

But your budget is simply not enough...

Boat $360.
    Radio.....$50-$100
    Battery....$50-$100 ..if you get one, remember you get on average 4ish minutes run time on a 5000 mah battery and will need to recharge.
    Charger......$50-$100

What about the pursuit for $224? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/pursuit-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is the TFL one worth 1/3 more money for the upgrades? I'm not racing, in fact it'll only get used a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Radio.....$50-$100
    Charger......$50-$100
    Not even close on either. It's more like...radio...$150-$300, charger...$175-$300
    Buy right or buy twice, your choice. But I guess all that isn't really necessary if the boat will only be used a few times a year.

My favorite FE boats so far are the TFL Pursuit and Aquacraft Revolt 30.

The Revolt 30 is pretty bullet proof right out of the box and all you need is a set of batteries and a charger.
    The HK Pursuit is also made by TFL but requires a bit more work and equipment but is a great running hull with the stock motor 4s battery and M445 prop.

The Pursuit OSE offers has most of the work done for you so is more expensive.

Running a 55" deep-V in rough water will be much different that a 32" shallow-V Pursuit in rough water.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Im confused, you say you want a rough water boat and are leaning towards a catamaran. I was thinking zelos 48 but then you say 400 for budget, you can get a nice boat for 400, but not one that will do all the things you are saying you want it to do.

Ok, update time. I relocated to Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I have a huge pond in my backyard. As in a full neighborhood long and probably 100 yards across. Not rough at all. My neighbor has a 27" electric boat. I need something fun to run and I've always wanted to try a catamaran.

I also need to get a second "rescue boat". In the past with my huge gasser, I would use a very reliable and slow traxxas boat hooked to a salt water fishing reel. I'd motor out, circle the boat a couple of times, and real the whole mess back to shore. I tried towing, but it was too much strain on a cheap electric boat and the battery would die.

So- what's a fun lipo cat set up?
    What would make a cheap/reliable rescue boat?

Pro-Boat BlackJack 29 " RTR comes in at bout $400, still will need batts n charger.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

The update of the Blackjack is the new Veles29, a superior boat. It includes radio for $430 list but also requires two LiPos and a charger. The biggest problem is availability, probably won't see any until October. If the OP can't wait, then the Blackjack is still a fine choice.

Another good choice is the Aquacraft Motkeu Crew. An older design, it still performs very well. I race mine against Blackjacks and often win. Looks a bit odd but $400 plus batts and charger.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ighlight=Veles

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...rodID=PRB08029

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the updates. On a typical day, will a cat run circles around the V hulls? I'm still looking into the pursuit and now the impulse 31? I already have a pair of proboat 9's, so a bigger boat would match.

I'm also looking into getting a tug or something similar that can be a rescue boat since I'm not swimming in this lake and I don't have a canoe or jon boat.

Here's my backyard:

Last edited by zimm; 08-20-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Dang, what a pond! Make a SAW boat out of it. Could hit 90 on that length of water.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Dang, what a pond! Make a SAW boat out of it. Could hit 90 on that length of water.
    Forgive my ignorance. But what is a saw boat?

nice back yard!!
    the pursuit is a great boat .i own one .got the hobbyking one for 180.00 plus like 20 shipping . i ditched the included motor right away and bought a leopard 4082 1600 kv right here at ose and you get a free motor cooler with it . paired that up with a ose x645 and running 6s i got a best of 57.4 mph . i run 2-3s lipos on the sides of the hull .

that water there a cat would do well on also . the most popular rtr would be the blackjack 29 .but if you can wait the new veles 29 would be a nice choice .

the stock setup in the bj 29v3 with 2-3s lipos will get you very near 50 mph .

you would be pleased with either of these boats . the pursuit would require more work on your part ,whereas the bj29v3 would be rtr out the box provided you have lipos .

so many choices so little time . good luck
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

A saw boat is for strait line speed runs...
    This would probably suit your needs just fine, close to your price range also.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...cklack-29-quot

After your first boat! Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Ok, update time. I relocated to Ft. Lauderdale, FL and I have a huge pond in my backyard. As in a full neighborhood long and probably 100 yards across. Not rough at all. My neighbor has a 27" electric boat. I need something fun to run and I've always wanted to try a catamaran.
    Hello zimm,
    The Wave Blasters of Florida would love to extend and invite to visit our all FE club.
    We are located in Ft Pierce. probably a 1.5 hour drive for you.
    Check out our old website "WaveBlasters.org"
    We meet monthly....... our next race Sunday will be Sept. 17th. from 10:30 till 2:00
    We always have the club Jon Boat on standby for any flips or rescues.
    Certainly PM me if you ever want to stop by and need additional info.
    Welcome to Fast Electrics,
    Ken Haines
    President
    Wave Blasters of Florida
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

It doesn't really matter what your neighbour's boat is or how good it is, unless you look at your neighbour's boat and think "my god what an utter POS that is, I couldn't possibly contemplate something that goes that badly", get the same one that s/he has. Sure you could probably build something much better for the money, or even buy something better by doing more research, but running along with someone else who has a boat with the same performance will be much more fun than blasting past him and tooling about on your own (after the first time).
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    It doesn't really matter what your neighbour's boat is or how good it is, unless you look at your neighbour's boat and think "my god what an utter POS that is, I couldn't possibly contemplate something that goes that badly", get the same one that s/he has. Sure you could probably build something much better for the money, or even buy something better by doing more research, but running along with someone else who has a boat with the same performance will be much more fun than blasting past him and tooling about on your own (after the first time).
    Or ignite the competitive spirit of your neighbor when you blow his canopy off!

I also need to get a second "rescue boat". In the past with my huge gasser, I would use a very reliable and slow traxxas boat hooked to a salt water fishing reel. I'd motor out, circle the boat a couple of times, and real the whole mess back to shore. I tried towing, but it was too much strain on a cheap electric boat and the battery would die.

So- what's a fun lipo cat set up?
    What would make a cheap/reliable rescue boat?
    how did you circle the boat more than once without running over your line to the fishing reel?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    how did you circle the boat more than once without running over your line to the fishing reel?
    You use fishing line that floats. I use that to tow a balsa float with hooks in it from the back of my tug boat. 15 feet of line from the tug to the float. Hook the dead boat, tow it in.

How about a used boat off the OSE sale board? I got two that way. Motley and HandM no step 4.