Thread: Blackjack dual rudder pickup upgrade

Default Blackjack dual rudder pickup upgrade

Just finished my dual rudder water pickup upgrade. Installed an additional outlet on the other side of the boat so I have two separate lines for motor esc

IMG_0048.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JimClark; 04-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.

What is having dual rudders going to do for the BJ
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Not duel rudders. A rudder with duel water pickups. It allows u to run two separate water lines one to cool the motor and one to cool the esc hopefully providing better cooling. On the stock setup with a single line water runs through the motor then continues on through the esc and out

That's the M41 rudder?

....On the stock setup with a single line water runs through the motor then continues on through the esc and out
    If yours was configured this way it was wrong. The water should always run through w ESC first, then the motor. Due to the short dwell time the water has in the ESC there is not a lot of heat removed by the water. Running the water stream to the motor next is more efficient than the other way around. If you want to run dual water lines that's fine, but don't expect a big difference in temps if ALL things remain the same. At least that's how it played out in my testing on a 10S boat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    If yours was configured this way it was wrong. The water should always run through w ESC first, then the motor. Due to the short dwell time the water has in the ESC there is not a lot of heat removed by the water. Running the water stream to the motor next is more efficient than the other way around. If you want to run dual water lines that's fine, but don't expect a big difference in temps if ALL things remain the same. At least that's how it played out in my testing on a 10S boat.
    That boat was previously mine. After dialing in the setup on 6S with a 440/3 prop, the motor temps got much warmer, while the ESC temps remained similar to the previous prop I had run with a higher timing setting. I plumbed the motor in before the ESC and the motor temps improved on the following runs, with no real change to the ESC.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    That's the M41 rudder?
    It's the upgrade rudder OSE sells for the M41. Had to cut it down to match the length of the stocker then sandblast and paint

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

Ya u maybe right but this same setup on my spartan helped. Gonna be running 6s so I thought I'd give it a try. Plus it gave me a project to do. I can't leave anything alone lol

my motor hit 150 today on todays run . previously it was 135 but that was after like 2 minutes .this time was over 3 minutes until i tested . if motor temps dont improve i foresee another motor in my future .

Ran my Blackjack today. 1st run about 5 min 6s esc 115f. Motor 110f. Set it down and let it cool down while I ran my Spartan. 2nd run fresh packs did a complete run till I hit the lvc. 122f esc 120f motor max speed 59mph. I was running it pretty hard alternating between WFO runs downwind to medium speed back into the wind. It was about 65-70f out when I ran this morning

Quote Originally Posted by REDLINE1 View Post
    did a complete run till I hit the lvc.
    Doing this is not the best thing for your batteries.
    What voltage do you have your LVC set at?
    What % is left in your packs at this point?
    You should never run your packs below 20%, if you want them to last.

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 05-29-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Doing this is not the best thing for your batteries.
    What voltage do you have your LVC set at?
    What % is left in your packs at this point?
    You should never run your packs below 20%, if you want them to last.

Larry
    I usually don't run to the LVC which is set at 3.2v I run alarms on each battery set to 3.4v but the settings on them got screwed up and I ended up hitting the 3.2v setting on the esc. I wanted to do a full run to see what my temps were to see if my dual water cooling rudder was helping with the temps

Hey Redline1, I know this is an old thread, but how did the mod work out for you long term?

Quote Originally Posted by random rc guy View Post
    Hey Redline1, I know this is an old thread, but how did the mod work out for you long term?
    still runs great one of my favorite boats

Quote Originally Posted by REDLINE1 View Post
    still runs great one of my favorite boats
    Thanks man for the reply, did you notice better water pickup with the dual intake rudder?

Quote Originally Posted by random rc guy View Post
    Thanks man for the reply, did you notice better water pickup with the dual intake rudder?
    Yes put an extra outlet so two lines one for the motor and one for the esc