Thread: Soldering 5.5 mm bullet connectors- best way

Default Soldering 5.5 mm bullet connectors- best way

I'm going to be converting my batteries to 5.5 mm bullet connectors.
    I'm wondering what type iron and what type tip would be the best for this action.
    Thanks for your input!
    Bob

here's what I use , works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for your reply.
    Do you use any type of jig to hold things while you do the soldering? I was wondering if those so called "helping hands" were worth their $$$ ?

I just put the bullet in vise grip pliers laying on
    a hunk of board. just clamp it lightly though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just drilled a set of holes in the corner of my bench for 4mm 5.5mm & 8mm male & female bullets. A snug fit & deep enough to hold them upright. Free.

I've got this Maxtra 952D, I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's worked flawless. Can't beat it for the $, and I really like the hot air wand for doing heat shrink. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-SMD-H...item2577af7e83

Also have one of these, one of the handiest tools I've ever bought! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231333329388?lpid=82

I have a board I drilled for both the male and female plugs similar to what 785boats is doing. I use my 60W solder station. There are several nicely detailed youtube videos out there that will help.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Also have one of these, one of the handiest tools I've ever bought! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231333329388?lpid=82
    That jig looks pretty handy!
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.
    PB BlackJack 29 / AQ Motley Crew / Tenshock Mini ECO / Phil Thomas Stealth

that's pretty neat , I like the warning better though....lol
    Note: Aluminum is a conductive material, never place 2 plugs from the same battery pack in Mr Jig simultaneously or Else it would goes up in Fire

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    I just put the bullet in vise grip pliers laying on
    a hunk of board. just clamp it lightly though.
    Quick, easy and heavy enough not to move around. Thanks for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    I just drilled a set of holes in the corner of my bench for 4mm 5.5mm & 8mm male & female bullets. A snug fit & deep enough to hold them upright. Free.
    I like "free" a lot! Thanks.

I like that Maxtra station! Very nice. I like that jig too. I think I could benefit from that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewbud View Post
    I have a board I drilled for both the male and female plugs similar to what 785boats is doing. I use my 60W solder station. There are several nicely detailed youtube videos out there that will help.
    Seems that between 60W and 100W would be the ideal wattage...Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    that's pretty neat , I like the warning better though....lol
    Note: Aluminum is a conductive material, never place 2 plugs from the same battery pack in Mr Jig simultaneously or Else it would goes up in Fire
    Good point!

I always only do one bullet at a time. Completely insulate it with heat shrink (& a rubber cap if it's a male) then tape it back onto the battery before exposing the other lead to start working on that one.
    Never have two ends exposed at the same time.

+1, yup, one at a time!
    Also if you have a soldering station, use a screw driver tip , I have a Weller and I use their 3.17mm wide tip. You don't want to use too narrow a tip as it doesn't retain heat well.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    +1, yup, one at a time!
    Also if you have a soldering station, use a screw driver tip , I have a Weller and I use their 3.17mm wide tip. You don't want to use too narrow a tip as it doesn't retain heat well.

Cool. So, decent wattage and a fairly large tip. Excellent. Thanks.

+1, yup, one at a time!
    A soldering station is the way to go. Much more control over the heat. 60W will do everything you need........connectors, flex shaft, etc.

I find using a tip that fits into the hole of the side of the connector works best for me. Lots of contact area and a built in support. I think what's coming out here is that there are many ways, just find one you're comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    A soldering station is the way to go. Much more control over the heat. 60W will do everything you need........connectors, flex shaft, etc.

I find using a tip that fits into the hole of the side of the connector works best for me. Lots of contact area and a built in support. I think what's coming out here is that there are many ways, just find one you're comfortable with.
    I think you're right...lots of ways to do it. I like the idea of a station...more flexibility for other applications, etc. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post

The tip that fits the hole works great, that's the way I do it. Tin your wire, put the tip in the hole and fill the connector cup about 1/2 way up, then insert the tinned wire into the connector and add solder if needed. I usually keep the heat on it for about 30sec. so the tinned solder on the wire melts with the solder in the connector. When soldering bullet connectors be careful not to get solder wicked over into the contact side of the male connector, it's a PITA to get cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Bob View Post
    Cool. So, decent wattage and a fairly large tip. Excellent. Thanks.
    A flat tip is a must, stay away from pencil tip type , my 3.17 mm tip is just enough to go into the holes on some bullets, there are different batches of 5.5mm bullets with different sizes of holes. On 6 mm and up the hole is larger and my tip clears them all. But I like the cut style bullets now and therefore it is no longer an issue for me.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

A flat tip is a must, stay away from pencil tip type , my 3.17 mm tip is just enough to go into the holes on some bullets, there are different batches of 5.5mm bullets with different sizes of holes. On 6 mm and up the hole is larger and my tip clears them all. But I like the cut style bullets now and therefore it is no longer an issue for me.
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate your input.

I've got this Maxtra 952D, I've had it for almost 2 years now and it's worked flawless. Can't beat it for the $, and I really like the hot air wand for doing heat shrink. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-In-1-SMD-H...item2577af7e83
    That looks sweet!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Just received my 5.5 bullet connectors and needed to know if it matters putting the male or female end on the positive battery ?

For the battery I use female on positive, male on negative.

Thanks

red hot female
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    red hot female
    tuff to forget that one, and a lot more fun than what I used in biochemistry.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    red hot female
    That will stick in my head for ever now!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s