Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2S Dark Horse 27 set up help

You are not pulling your main batteries down, the problem is that a lot of ESC's want more then 2S input. and the internal bec system can not supply what is needed.
    Disconnect the red wire from the ESC going into the radio.
    Get a UBEC unit; I use these;
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=ker-HWUBEC

I ran and raced the same setup as Darin for years.
    1515 .5Y 4400kv - 15 degrees timing
    CC - Hydra 240 ESC
    Ubec
    2 -2s -5000mah packs in parallel
    Custom - 538/3 prop

My setup was HOT because of the custom prop, but the boat was unbeatable.
    I still run the same hull today in "P" Spec Sport Hydro

Larry

PS - does that ESC have auto timing- if so try that, I have read that Swordfish ESC's run cooler when set on Auto Timing.
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 03-27-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

I picked up a 6 volt NiMH 1800 mah battery pack to test with. Just wanted to see if the set up would work that way. If it works, I would definitely try a UBEC like you recommend. How do you wire it in? Do I just connect it to my main batteries before the ESC? After or before the capacitors? I do have it set on auto timing. I read the same thing somewhere as well. Until I get the USB programming dongle, I'll run it that way. From the chart on the Spectrum servos, it looks like it's a good digital servo so no problem there. It will take up 2S voltage. It looks like Darin gave me a really nice prop also. I think it's a tweaked up 634/3. Really thin and sharp with I think what's called a bar cut. Half round cut outs at the hub. I really want to get this boat going. I dinked with it at the end of last season and got nowhere. The ice is finally going from the pond that I use and I'm chomping at the bit. This seems like some real tangible info.
    Thanks for the help,
    Bob

Bob
    I wire the UBEC to the back of the ESC board where the black and red battery wires connect to the ESC board.
    Or you can solder them into the battery plugs on the ESC.

Larry

Larry,
    Thanks for your help and suggestions. It seems that with your experience with this kind of setup and help I will actually get this boat running.
    Regards,
    Bob
    P.S. I will order UBEC tomorrow.

Success. I hooked up a separate RX battery pack and it worked like a charm. I have a separate BEC coming and I'll get that hooked up and hopefully that will work as well. Thanks guys for all the help. Now I can finally run this boat. Another day or so and the ice will be gone from my pond and I'll give it a shot. Larry, by the way the prop I have is a 637/3 tweaked up by Darin. What do you think?
    Again, thanks to all those who helped.
    Bob

What's the difference between running a dedicated Rx pack and a separate BEC? Do you need the BEC to use the Rx battery?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    What's the difference between running a dedicated Rx pack and a separate BEC? Do you need the BEC to use the Rx battery?
    They are both the same, UBEC's do not need charging.

Do you need the BEC to use the Rx battery??

NEVER use the BEC in your ESC with any kind of external power.
    Disconnect the red wire from the ESC going into your radio.
    Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 03-28-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    Larry, by the way the prop I have is a 637/3 tweaked up by Darin. What do you think?
    Bob
    Darins prop - 637/3 - pitch - 59.2mm
    My prop - Custom 538/3 - pitch - 57 mm - Detongued, Back cut, a little extra cup.
    Both are close, depending on how the boat runs (very free)

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 03-28-2017 at 09:42 PM.

As I found today, if you use a separate RX pack, you just plug it straight into the RX. You have to cut the red wire from the ESC to the RX. At least that what works if your ESC has a built in BEC. I am bypassing the built in BEC and I'm going to use an external BEC which gets hooked up straight to the main lipo battery and then to the battery port on the RX. From what I understand, this helps get un interrupted power to the RX. I was experiencing enough of a voltage drop using the BEC in the ESC to make the RX stop working momentarily, there by losing control of the ESC. I'm a real newbie, so I might not be completely correct, but that's my understanding. All I know for sure is that by using a battery strictly for powering the RX, it eliminated my problem. Hopefully using the external BEC will do the same as the separate battery. The BEC weighs way less then the battery pack.
    Regards,
    Bob

Ok, I get it. So, to recap, the BEC in your ESC is junk, yes?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ok, I get it. So, to recap, the BEC in your ESC is junk, yes?
    As I said earlier, in a lot of ESC's the internal BEC does not like 2S input, they like 3S and up.
    Also I have found that by running a UBEC, your ESC runs cooler, because the internal BEC is on the radio board of the ESC

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    As I said earlier, in a lot of ESC's the internal BEC does not like 2S input, they like 3S and up.
    Missed that. Thanks for the lesson.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Instead of cutting the red wire

Here is a little trick that I use to disconnect the RED wire form the ESC to the radio.

I buy this 6" two wire servo extension, and this little blue plastic extension keeper from my local Hobby shop (RC Airplane stuff)

When you use this two wire extension there is no need to disconnect the RED wire from the ESC.
    The little blue keeper stops them from coming apart due to vibration or a hard flip.
    Now when you want to reprogram your ESC with a box or your PC, you do-not have to fiddle with trying to connect the RED wire back up again.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

My LHS only had a regular servo extension, so I cut the red wire in it and connected to the RX with it. Worked great. Should get my BEC Friday, maybe run the boat this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bob horowitz View Post
    My LHS only had a regular servo extension, so I cut the red wire in it and connected to the RX with it. Worked great. Should get my BEC Friday, maybe run the boat this weekend.
    Bob
    Yes you can use a 3 wire extension, cut the RED wire on the extension where it plugs into the radio(You never have to fiddle with it again), and you are set to go.
    I like this setup because it is easy to program or reprogram your ESC afterword's.

Larry

Made a mistake again on the prop. It's a tweaked up 537/3. I didn't actually measure the diameter. Kind of a pain with a 3 blade. I'd have to do math, just kidding.
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12