Thread: 1:10 Scale 57 Bardahl finished!

Default 1:10 Scale 57 Bardahl finished!

I thought I'd post some pics of my new vintage ride. I plan to run the '57 Miss Bardahl in Classic Thunder Division 1 starting this season. I love how it turned out and can't wait to get some final gear worked on so I can get it on the water for some testing. Seems like ages since I've run a boat. It's going to replace a great boat I really got comfortable driving over the last six years. Some of you have seen that my trusty '55 Gale V is now for sale on the CT web site and on the OSE forum Swap Shop. I just don't want to see it collecting dust on a shelf in my garage. Someone needs to race it or at least enjoy looking at it in their office or whatever. Anyway, the new boat also has real mahogany on the decks and in spite of my limited skills, turned out great. The very talented Jeff Ross did the vinyl graphics for the boat. I put as much scale detail in there as I could think of and hope it does the real boat justice. Love the history of these projects. Now we'll see if I can get it to run nicely. Love that part too. One month 'til the first race!! Happy building guys. Share what you're working on. Can't get enough of seeing that stuff. I'm thinking about a modern boat project next to replace my Boeing Dreamliner. I'm thinking Seattle theme and maybe a 1995 Miss Rock. Always liked that boat and am a big Mark Evans fan. It just occurred to me that his dad, Norm, drove the '57 Bardahl. I see a pattern developing here. Hmmmm... Let me know if you're in need of 1:10 scale parts for current or future project. More than happy to help. Peace

57_4_tif.jpg 57_10_tif.jpg IMG_8929.jpg IMG_8930.jpg IMG_8931.jpg
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    I agree with the history in these boats. I've already been doing some reading on the '55 Gale V.
    Good stuff... Hoping to be the one to keep her racing.
    Have fun with that....

Beautiful. Are these thunder boats all scratch built from plans?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Beautiful. Are these thunder boats all scratch built from plans?
    Not all of them. Some are composite hulls of fiberglass and/or carbon fiber laid up in molds. I like to scratch build boats sometimes, especially if I want something special or something I can't find anywhere else.
    Mitch Dillard

Now that's talent....

I got the Bardahl out on the water for the first shake down on Sunday in the rain. It was a good first run and I'm excited to do more tweaking on the ride. It's funny how you get used to a boat (my old Gale V) and new ones just feel different. The Bardahl is such a short boat and it just seems so small compared to what I'm used to. The real boat was only 27 feet and change. I need to play with the balance some more and start messing with prop selection. To start, I just ran the exact same setup I had in the old boat. In CT I run the Scorpion 3026-1210 outrunner and settled on a detongued and cupped CNC 52 prop. This boat looks like it needs less lift at the transom and maybe to have weight moved a bit more toward the rear too. I had to cut a little off the bottom of the dummy motor so I can move the batteries back a little more and see what that does. I also have a couple of ABC props that I want to work on and try out. They won't lift quite as much and may be a better fit. If that doesn't loosen it up, then I may need to mess with the strut depth as it may be a little deep for such a short boat. It seems really pinned down in the front, but fast. Maybe I should wait until I get it on some rougher race type water and see how it looks, but I sometimes can't help but start messing with things. Experimenting is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. I don't have a video camera, otherwise I'd love to show you the boat on the water and get some advice from y'all. Can't wait to go racing again, but I've got some work to do before I'm comfortable with the new boat.
    Mitch Dillard

Looks awesome
    Mitch always a pleasure to be part of your builds and help out with the decals!
    Amazing work as always!
    OSE GIFTING ELF
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coug90 View Post
    I thought I'd post some pics of my new vintage ride. I plan to run the '57 Miss Bardahl in Classic Thunder Division 1 starting this season. I love how it turned out and can't wait to get some final gear worked on so I can get it on the water for some testing. Seems like ages since I've run a boat. It's going to replace a great boat I really got comfortable driving over the last six years. Some of you have seen that my trusty '55 Gale V is now for sale on the CT web site and on the OSE forum Swap Shop. I just don't want to see it collecting dust on a shelf in my garage. Someone needs to race it or at least enjoy looking at it in their office or whatever. Anyway, the new boat also has real mahogany on the decks and in spite of my limited skills, turned out great. The very talented Jeff Ross did the vinyl graphics for the boat. I put as much scale detail in there as I could think of and hope it does the real boat justice. Love the history of these projects. Now we'll see if I can get it to run nicely. Love that part too. One month 'til the first race!! Happy building guys. Share what you're working on. Can't get enough of seeing that stuff. I'm thinking about a modern boat project next to replace my Boeing Dreamliner. I'm thinking Seattle theme and maybe a 1995 Miss Rock. Always liked that boat and am a big Mark Evans fan. It just occurred to me that his dad, Norm, drove the '57 Bardahl. I see a pattern developing here. Hmmmm... Let me know if you're in need of 1:10 scale parts for current or future project. More than happy to help. Peace

57_4_tif.jpg 57_10_tif.jpg IMG_8929.jpg IMG_8930.jpg IMG_8931.jpg
    Looks amazing!

ps. if you ever go to sell it, let me know.....
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Beautiful I love it.

Love the vintage talk! Norm Evans drove for my dad, in the Parco O'Ring Miss boat early on. He was a hard charger. Mark and my brother, Scott, are close friends. Mark had a Unlimited modified for outboards that he was using to take folks out on Lake Chelan. Got to ride in that, it was nice...

I'm a big fan of the Bardahl boats. I would like to build the cab over or the Karelsen checkered boat. Saw poor Ronny Munson loose his life in Washington DC. It was the first race I went to see my dad's boat run. Three great drivers in one day, man, what a start! I was just a kid, but remember it like it was yesterday....

Nice boat bud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk