Thread: Blackjack V1 - clean slate....

Default Blackjack V1 - clean slate....

Hi guys,

I just got a blackjack v1 from a friend who ran his boat maybe once but didn't know he had to flush it out after....and we live on an island so all saltwater. I bought the boat off of him in attempts to revive it. I ripped all the electrics out. Tonight I'll stripe the hardware and lube everything up.

SO the question is now that it is down to just the hull what should i drop in this thing?! What ESC ,motor etc. We don't have "official" races here yet but its picking up quite fast so i'm assuming this summer we might so I'm looking for something obviously fast but reliable and decent run time. So i guess the best of all worlds! lol which may not even exist. Any help? this is my first rc boat. I used to have nitro cars so not sure about the electric world yet.

While the hull is bare on the inside, coat the wood frame and mounts in epoxy to keep them from absorbing water. You could buy a similar setup to what the V3 29" boats use (2000kv 6pole motor, 120A ESC) and expect to see similar performance running two 3S packs in series. I don't race and can't speak to what class that boat would compete in, and what motor limitations might exist. There are plenty of V1 and V2 boats that have been modified in the blackjack forum. I'd start reading through those threads looking for more ideas to see what's possible.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

thanks! good idea about the epoxy. I did look at that and thought about water coming in. I will see if anyone else chimes in about motor and esc combos. The boat came with two sets of peak racing 3s batteries 4300 45C.

I ran my V3 with the stock Dynamite motor (DYNM3910) and 120A ESC set to 7.5* timing and a x440/3 prop. Did 60mph and was a lot of fun.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

that sounds like a winner to me! thats fast. think ill place an order today. how long were you on the water with that set up?!

quick question.....will the motor etc. from v3 fit into the v1 hull? also will i need different flex shaft etc.?

The motor should fit, the original was about the same size. I ran an upgraded flexshaft from OSE, but in the stock size so I could keep the teflon liner. I don't recall reading any changes in stuffing tube or flex shaft sizes between the different model years.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The v1/v2 upgrade cable is 3/4" longer than the v3 upgrade cable otherwise completely the same, my buddy found that out last year. I would take Weasel's advice on powering it. Don't expect much for run times, maybe 5-7 minutes depending on your driving habits. And clean the crap out of everything after every run, salt is nasty lol. If you want to try something other than dynamite a TP3630 would be a good candidate.

Oh right, I forgot about the saltwater. I would cut a small piece of cooling hose, maybe 1/4" long, and slip it over the end of the stuffing tube to act as a seal where the flex cable sticks out. Put a piece of heat shrink where the stuffing tube slips into the strut at the rear of the boat, and tape that hatch down. That should help keep the insides dry and limit your rinsing time to just the coolant lines and outside hardware.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

do you have to cut the cable? is that a straight forward process?

You can find a handful of V1/V2 specific upgrades in the OSE store, flex cable included: http://offshoreelectrics.com/product...s+%26+Upgrades
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)