Thread: Shockwave 36 conversion to Twin Electric TFL_P1 drives

Default Shockwave 36 conversion to Twin Electric TFL_P1 drives

This is one of my projects that turned out to run really nice as well. found a near mint boat and stripped out all the Nitro crap and prepped it for electric units. Lots of hole filling and re drilling, I painted it as well with spray cans and pin stripe. the boat now weighs just under 8 pounds and runs 32MPH on gps. I am totally happy with the way it turns and crushes small waves. I designed the drivers and 3D printed them and painted them as well. it also has true wet exhaust! the cooling lines run out of each exhaust tube too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sfileccia; 03-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.

good lookin boat luv the paint.

Looks great!! Have you run it yet?

Yes I have. it runs great on 3s lipo. it crushes small wave shop easily at almost 8 pounds of v-hull.

Cool! Yeah i missed the part were you said it was getting 32 on GPS, i was to busy looking at the pics! I'm almost finished with this old Dumas hull i've been putting together with a P1 drive, thought it was all set to go but when i bench tested it all the motor would do is stutter. After a lot of trouble shooting i believe it's come down to the ESC, so i ordered a brand new Swordfish 120a unit. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will set to hit the water! What props are you running? I've seen several set-ups running 3 blades, for now i'm going to try a Prather 220 (40mm) and see how it runs and go from there.

IMG_2447.jpg IMG_2446.jpg

The P1 drives are great. but a little noisy! glad you figured out the issue with the ESC and not the motor. It only takes one of the 3 wires on either the motor or the ESC to cause it to stutter. Sometimes it is just a bad solder joint from either one to wig it out. I want to hear how your boat runs as soon as you run it and have time to dial it in. I am running 36mm 3 blade props "turnigy plastic ones" for now, BUT also have CNC alloy 3 blade detounge ones I will be trying out very soon! I would have to imagine I will pick up some speed with those.

Right, yes i tried another motor with different set of connectors and still got the same stutter, so i think it has to be the ESC. IF it did turn out to be the motor that would be a big issue because i can't seem to find any replacement motors for the P1 system. The stock motor has a small shaft, (either 3mm or 3.5mm), all the aftermarket motors are 4-5mm, meaning the dog bone coupler won't fit. I'm hoping the Prather 220 is not to big of a prop that could over work the drive, but i'm also hoping to see around 35mph on 3S.

I know what you mean about the motor for the drive. Very unique to the system. The wires are very stiff coming out of the motor and that makes me nervous about fatigue internally later. Make sure ALL the set screws are tight! I had the one on dogbone coupler come loose and it started spinning without going to the gearbox. Thankfully I have Twins so I could limp it back in. The set screw is access in that top hole on the outside top cover just over the gimbal area. I would easily buy 2 more of these drives. I think on 4s and the right hull these would be very fast! thinking a Twin Cat set up on a Traxxas M41 hull..................Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I also like that you want to see a realistic 35mph on 3s. I personally do not want any of my boats to go a billion MPH like most people. I like the scale aspect of boats being able to run in choppy water with out the fear of breaking into a pile of parts if they flip or stuff into a wave...I am funny about SCALE RC i guess. :)

LOL YES, but not funny at all, i am exactly the same way!! I love scale looks, not some of more toyish look of most R/C hulls (even tho i have a Traxxas Spartan as lake basher!) That's why i built my FighterCat Daytona (Genesis hull) because it's a beautiful, well detailed scale version of the 50' Mystic cats like the Miss Gieco offshore race boat! From the first time i saw the new DCB M41 from Traxxas, the P1 drives immediately came to mind!! That would be an awesome looking combo, and probably very stable set-up! I did see Pro Marine R/C posted a video of one of their Skater's with a pair of P1 drives on the back, i think they ran 3S per side and it ran pretty good and looked great! I would like to see some of the R/C companies take advantage of the drives and come out with some more scale offerings, i think they could sell well. I built that old Dumas hull because it looks like an 80's muscle boat (Checkmate, Baja ect.), i had no intentions of building a speed demon, just a cool scale boat to run around and look cool!! Do you have any video of the Shockwave running??

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmateguy01 View Post
    LOL YES, but not funny at all, i am exactly the same way!! I love scale looks, not some of more toyish look of most R/C hulls (even tho i have a Traxxas Spartan as lake basher!) That's why i built my FighterCat Daytona (Genesis hull) because it's a beautiful, well detailed scale version of the 50' Mystic cats like the Miss Gieco offshore race boat! From the first time i saw the new DCB M41 from Traxxas, the P1 drives immediately came to mind!! That would be an awesome looking combo, and probably very stable set-up! I did see Pro Marine R/C posted a video of one of their Skater's with a pair of P1 drives on the back, i think they ran 3S per side and it ran pretty good and looked great! I would like to see some of the R/C companies take advantage of the drives and come out with some more scale offerings, i think they could sell well. I built that old Dumas hull because it looks like an 80's muscle boat (Checkmate, Baja ect.), i had no intentions of building a speed demon, just a cool scale boat to run around and look cool!! Do you have any video of the Shockwave running??
    Did you see this version? I just ran my modified Traxxas M41 with outboards...runs really nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes i did see that O/B M41, that's sweet! I think i saw it on Facebook if i remember right. Looks like you did a really clean job cutting off the transom over hang of the stock M41, did you glass it in? What do you run for ESC's?

I used a 3mm sheet of ABS and epoxied it to the hull utilizing the grey internal shell piece that was there. Then a ton of sanding and painting. I am "currently" (see what I did there :)) using a 60 amp esc but have 2 more 120 amp esc's in case I want to try 4s in it. The 60 ampers can only handle up to 3s. i may just try the alloy props instead of the plastic ones that are on there.

I would love to see a video of that M41 outboard running
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by sfileccia View Post
    I used a 3mm sheet of ABS and epoxied it to the hull utilizing the grey internal shell piece that was there. Then a ton of sanding and painting. I am "currently" (see what I did there :)) using a 60 amp esc but have 2 more 120 amp esc's in case I want to try 4s in it. The 60 ampers can only handle up to 3s. i may just try the alloy props instead of the plastic ones that are on there.
    Nice work! I was just looking thru your build thread on the "M29", i didn't realize the DCB had a pretty significant transom angle, that was something i had to overcome with my Dumas hull. I made a wood shim angled just right to mount the drive with a little positive angle from the bottom of the hull. Funny part is, i'm a CNC machinist as well, so i really appreciate your work on those mounts, but we are all specific production work and i don't really have any time/chance or open machines i can jump on and make my own parts. (It's actually been over 10 years since i've done any programing, mainly just push buttons now with some simple set-ups.) Yes, i too would love to see some video's of these creations on the water!

Question, do you have any issues with the drives themselves leaking water into the hull? I have a water leak somewhere I can't seem to find, not just a little water either. I think read somewhere on here that these drives have a tendency to leak thru the gimbal. I gotta figure it out before I swamp a battery and servo!