Thread: What gps?!

Default What gps?!

Hello there i need some suggestions on gps,i was using my cell phone to check my boats speed but i think its time to get something smaller and to be safe in case of something bad happens to my boat..I see many people using the garmin 201 but i cant find it somewhere that is shipped to Gr (im looking for a used or in the price range of 50-60 eu) i see the Skyrc gps as an alternative that costs only 50 eu with free shipping from ebay :) im wondering thow is that gps any good?Any people that use it here have some thoughts if its worth getting it?Any other gps on that price range that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance Stratos
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

I own both, but prefer the Garmin. Both of them do the job just fine, and the readings match up, but the Garmin just seems more refined and not as cheaply made. Just my 2c
    Rick

Thnx a lot my friend!Im going to order a skyrc,i found some older threads to so no need for people answering same thinks again,i guess not many thinks have changed :)

I only have experience with the Garmin, and here's what I know. The Forerunner 101, 201, and 301 all are the same form factor and all discontinued. The 101 runs on 2 AAA batteries and I do not believe has the same water resistant rating as the other two. The 201 is rechargeable with a proprietary charger that snaps to the back. Loose or break the charger, and you're out of luck. I own two of these and they work great. My only complaint is that I can't leave my 3M velcro tabs attached to the back because they have to come off when I need to recharge the unit. Minor issue. The battery is rated for 13hrs. I don't get quite that much, but plenty of life between uses. The water resistant seal on mine was dried out and the first time flipped a boat with it and took on a lot of water, it got pretty wet inside. I was able to dry it out, use corrosion X and reseal the case with silicone. No real issues since. Finally, the 301 is essentially the same as the 201 but it uses a mini USB cable to charge which solves my adhesive on the back issue and makes the charger a more universal solution. The 301 can also pair with a heart rate monitor which makes it a little more expensive on the used market. I'm still searching for one of those at the right price.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I only have experience with the Garmin, and here's what I know. The Forerunner 101, 201, and 301 all are the same form factor and all discontinued. The 101 runs on 2 AAA batteries and I do not believe has the same water resistant rating as the other two. The 201 is rechargeable with a proprietary charger that snaps to the back. Loose or break the charger, and you're out of luck. I own two of these and they work great. My only complaint is that I can't leave my 3M velcro tabs attached to the back because they have to come off when I need to recharge the unit. Minor issue. The battery is rated for 13hrs. I don't get quite that much, but plenty of life between uses. The water resistant seal on mine was dried out and the first time flipped a boat with it and took on a lot of water, it got pretty wet inside. I was able to dry it out, use corrosion X and reseal the case with silicone. No real issues since. Finally, the 301 is essentially the same as the 201 but it uses a mini USB cable to charge which solves my adhesive on the back issue and makes the charger a more universal solution. The 301 can also pair with a heart rate monitor which makes it a little more expensive on the used market. I'm still searching for one of those at the right price.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation,i might be looking for a garmin 301 then i see them on ebay more

I have both Garmin 201 and SkyRC units, and they work OK. You have already ordered the SkyRC. They both share the same disadvantage, 1 second refresh rates rather than .1 second (1hz vs 10hz). For my usage, at speeds approaching 50MPH, I run out of lake before the unit can get an accurate reading. Likewise, they can be inaccurate when going around in circles. I have seen the Dynamite GPS advertised as 10hz refresh rate, but it looks to be a SkyRC in a slightly different case.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

SkyRC is 1hz refresh rate
    Dynamite is 10hz refresh rate

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

I have a Garmin eTrex 10 I would sell if any interest

Ty all for the help guys. Jim82 unfortunately i did order the skyrc already as you can see on some posts above but out of curiosity how much would you give that?

I use a Garmin 201, bought for €30. Accurate and large display for maximum speed.
    Have patience and you'll find one.