Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phil Thomas sport 45

I think I figured out my hopping. The prop I have is an older one with 10 deg of rake. I will need to get another one with 17deg of rake.

Mark

I also forgot to mention that I am running the new swordfish 220X esc in this boat and I'm very happy with the way it runs. I am also running the 300X in my 10s mono and I'n very pleased so far. Steven I recommend you get these in.

Mark

Here is a quick video of the boat. I still have to dial it in but not bad for the second time on the water.

https://youtu.be/sthrr_ArZQM

Mark

shame its a private video. you-tube.

Try it now.

Mark

wow thats flying along very well.

Mark, don't dismiss a good old X455. De-tongue it a bit. That boat likes that prop for some reason. Ty's is almost done too. Maiden on Saturday.
    Noisy person

Yes I have a 455 new in package but this motor can handle pitch. The prop in the video has 3.85" of pitch and 58mm diameter. Everything is getting a little hot so i want to go down to a 55mm prop but try and keep the pitch.
    Does the boat look like it's dragging its tail to you guys? The strut is at 7/8 and I got a big prop with lots of lift.

Mark

These boats always look like they are running uphill. Don't worry about it they are ballistic that way. We have at least three in the club, the biggest issue is keeping them on the water above ~65 mph. Most will add more area to the front wings.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Mark, don't dismiss a good old X455. De-tongue it a bit.
    You can bend on the X455 too; at least mine liked it. It knocked 4.5 seconds off my lap times. I could never get a X457 to work on mine.

Thanks everybody for your comments. I am working with Brian B and will get this sorted out using the ABC props he does up. We are going to the next size down so will be in the 55m range and then work with different rakes and pitches. I will do up my 455 prop and de tongue and cup the tips just to have for comparison.
    I was running in some good wind in the video and can see the difference in how the boat handles compared to when i ran it in glassy water. I can see some add on winglets in my future.

Mark

Looks like you have it running very well!!! I agree with the comments above. It's a handful in race water/chop at 60+ mph. The transom is very wide and it packs a lot of air. Tough to keep it on the water.

They are but they also make great SAW boat's to have fun with as well !

Has anyone played with air dams for choppy conditions? Mine is doing 70s now and seems fine being the only boat out there. But I can see choppy race water maybe being a problem. I ran the boat with some 455s a friend had with different cups and it was a little slower but still looked the same on the water. I will play with some different air dams to see if I can get the ride to smooth out some. Also I am very happy with the new Swordfish 220X controller. The temps are 110 deg here in Las Vegas and motor and controller are getting hot but the esc keeps working great.

Mark

Ok so has anyone cut the airtraps off of their boat?
    Mine is packing so much air that it will not stay on the water as soon as the wind picks up. So I got out my sander and took off the air traps. This is a pic after I sanded and patched it up. It's all painted white now. I ran the boat but unfortunately there was no wind. The boat ran great so I didn't mess it up but still need a windy day to see if it was worth it.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mark,

It looks like yours is a newer version. The one I was running was an older version that had deeper tunnels (more air). In the process of updating the hull, I actually filled the tunnels slightly more than originally suggested (anther 1/16" or 1/8"). I don't recall having any major issues with the boat blowing over. I am not saying it didn't blow over; but it didn't happen very often. I will also say that my boat wasn't a 70mph boat. I was heat racing at mid 60's.

Mine has a sticker that says made in 2008. Mine will run on a pillow of air where the sponsons are a 1/2 off the water and will ride that way until it blows over in a gust of wind. It doesn't do this if it's glass water out. My boat also hops very bad when I take off and only smooths out when I go full throttle. One of the things we also notice was my SS turn fim I got from Mike L is warped. So it looks like it is trying to make the boat go left and I'm probably having to give a little right and that could be a problem too. I shimmed it over a little and that seemed to help but you can still see the warp in the fin. It looks like it might have got warped when they welded that second piece of SS. Where can I get another turn fin you guys like.

That's a good idea to shave off the traps. I wish I would have thought of that. As for the turn fin, I'm sure Mike L or Kevin would stand behind it if you contacted them.

Mark it does sound like your hull is grabbing too much air plus the hopping could be either the prop / prop setting / c.o.g. the turn fin should not have any warp atall so maybe you should toss it and make up another fin from some 1/8 inch aluminium with the same shape as that warped one. i can,t really comment too much about your particular hull as i,ve only run large size gas powered sport hydros which do not have any bad habits like your experiencing with this one. so try a non lifting prop set parralell to hull bottom, replace the turn fin and move the battery pack up closer to nose for abit more forward c.o.g. and see how she runs then. just my thoughts .

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Well I finally got the boat all done. I head for the pond tomorrow and get the first run in and see how she does.

Mark
    Good looking sport hydro bud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123