Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your boat today?

Pickups are in the bottom and I scraped the extra paint out of both with a hobby knife on day 1. The video is still on my camera as I just haven't had time to upload....I have watched it 4x with the volume at 10 to try to see, or hear anything abnormal....nothing! Running good....two rooster tails shooting up....stops...give it some throttle and it starts turning with no steering input...release the throttle and go slowly in reverse...goes about 3 feet and completely dies. By the time I actually got my hands on the boat, it had been in the water for about an hour. Open the canopy and smell burnt electrical but everything is cold by this time. ESC's were still a solid green so I am assuming they are ok. Only thing I can think of is the cooling system, but it is impossible to see water coming out of the sides of the hull on the video. When it is close enough to see, it is going too slow (needs to be doing 30mph for cooling system to operate).
    Proboat Voracity, Proboat Zelos 36, H.E. Richardson Tug Boat for a rescue boat.

I'd be worried about an ESC issue existing too, perhaps what caused both motors to go up in smoke. When you get the new motors installed, recalibrate the throttle range on each ESC, and then make sure each motor spins in the correct direction and at least makes a similar noise (crude measure of RPM) to the other while on the bench.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I am concerned about an ESC issue as well but at this point I have no way to test them. I did take both motors out and used the one motor that kinda works, (will spin when throttle is applied but will immediately start smoking),connected it to the left ESC and it worked the same as the right one... but I will definitely recalibrate everything and do a thorough bench test before hitting the lake again.

Can you test with the ESC from your Voracity? Are there any settings that can be adjusted on the stock Zelos esc's? Maybe re-verify that timing etc was not altered?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Timing can be changed on the stock ESC's. On the last run the ESC's beeped 3 short beeps indicating 3s, LVC 3.0v, and timing at 4.5 degrees. I have not messed with the ESC's in any way except to arm them. Would it be possible for them to somehow change themselves? Glitch out?

Lvc is way to low in my opinion if you don't time your runs and waiting to hit lvc to stop like me,you will harm your batterys nothing to do with your problem thow,as for timing I think you mean 7.5?
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

yup typo 7.5... I usually time my runs and don't let it get to LVC. Force of habit from running my helicopters.

Got my GPS friendly fiberlgass hatch in for the Mini Zonda today. Not as cool looking, but it fits perfectly. Undecided if I'll have it hydro dipped in carbon to match the hull or just paint it black. I've got plenty of time to decide that as this is my lowest priortiy/funded project.

2017-03-20 17.20.00.jpg2017-03-20 17.20.35.jpg

Big thanks to kfxguy for getting these imported from TFL. Arrived much sooner than expected.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Got my GPS friendly fiberlgass hatch in for the Mini Zonda today. Not as cool looking, but it fits perfectly. Undecided if I'll have it hydro dipped in carbon to match the hull or just paint it black. I've got plenty of time to decide that as this is my lowest priortiy/funded project.

2017-03-20 17.20.00.jpg2017-03-20 17.20.35.jpg

Big thanks to kfxguy for getting these imported from TFL. Arrived much sooner than expected.
    Twins? Single? Couple TP2940's would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Twins? Single? Couple TP2940's would be sweet.
    I was all about twins until I saw inside the hull. Not worth the effort/agony to stuff it all in there. Kfxguy's single runs fast enough for my needs. Whole lot cheaper too!

Ya I bet there isn't much room in there I thought my rivercat had no space I can only imagine these Lol.

Got my old Pursuit ship shape after cracking the hull and flooding the inside of the boat a few months ago at the lake.

Some weird current pulled the boat down and it hit the bottom of the lake still running, it kept running for almost 3-4 minutes until it finally ran out of power and slowly floated to the surface. It was completely flooded, luckily it was fresh water this time, no damage to any of the electronics including the batteries. Luckily I spray my receivers with Corrosion-X, so it was fine as well.

However, the front seams of the hull were cracked, either due to the initial impact with the bottom or the pressure of 20 feet or so it dived. I cleaned everything up, but put in on the shelf since I started doing more RC car stuff. I finally got to fixing and reinforcing all the cracks, did a few upgrades as well and got everything put back together ready to run again tomorrow morning.

I missed the old girl, probably one of the best running boats I've ever owned, sometimes I find it more fun then even by big HPR 115.

Quote Originally Posted by SD Eracer View Post
    Some weird current pulled the boat down and it hit the bottom of the lake still running, it kept running for almost 3-4 minutes until it finally ran out of power and slowly floated to the surface
    That must have been agonizing. I remember running my first Dumas Hot Shot years ago, trimmed with the nose too low in the water, and stuffed it at full speed. Felt like an hour went by before it surfaced again covered in clay and mud.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That must have been agonizing. I remember running my first Dumas Hot Shot years ago, trimmed with the nose too low in the water, and stuffed it at full speed. Felt like an hour went by before it surfaced again covered in clay and mud.
    I almost wrote it off in my mind, it was down for so long. The motor was running so hard it was actually creating a small tidal effect on the surface almost 20 feet away. Luckily I think she flooded quickly, which kept the electronics cool.

Seeing it slowly bob back up to the surface probably 4 minutes later was a big relief. The fact I was running in fresh water instead of our usual ocean location was another big plus, because my lipos survived.

What was weird was that my Pursuit rides higher on the nose than any of my boats, it never runs wet. I have no idea what freak event caused it to dive the way it did.

Took the Spartan out today for the first run since the strut height modification. Pretty smooth water, x642 prop, 6S, 1650kv motor, trim tabs reset at neutral, and strut angle only slightly positive. First run, packs were as far forward as the trays allow which just barely makes COG at 30%. Hull was bouncing, aired out, but still saw chine walk if you rolled onto the throttle too quickly. Second run, packs moved back about 2", less bouncing, same amount of chine walk. Top speed was 41mph, pretty much a failed attempt.

The steering is way too sensitive. I could use a different hole on the servo horn, but I'm fairly certain I just have too much rudder in the water. I'm going to cut about an inch off and re-profile the bottom on the grinder. I only have about 1.5" to play with because the cooling inlets are low on the blade.

Water temps are still pretty cold, but with dual cooling paths, the motor was barely even warm and the ESC and batteries were just 100* after 5min runs. Definitely room to prop up. I'll run either an Octura m645 or one of my ABC props from my Voracity next weekend. The boat is also running too loose. I'm going to run the inner trim tabs a hair lower than even and lower the strut angle about 1mm.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Took the Zelos 36 out last night with the two new warranty motors installed. Ran like a champ. GPS'ed at 58.4 mph. Everything ran nice and cool. Comparing the new motors to the ones that came in the boat....the stock ones are actually labeled left and right, whereas the warranty motors are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemifear View Post
    the stock ones are actually labeled left and right, whereas the warranty motors are not.
    Strange. The only parts that have to be ont he correct side are the flexshafts and props.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Strange. The only parts that have to be ont he correct side are the flexshafts and props.
    Ya, I thought it was kinda weird considering the wires coming out of both motors are color coded exactly the same as the warranty motors ,and the same left to right on the old motors. Maybe I got an early build Z36!

Can you dial down the sensativity on the steering controls? I am running a Traxxas Tx/Rx, and I had to set the endpoints on the servo to limit the throw on my Deep-V. That's why I love the ProBoat Tx/Rx, all adjustments are dials on the transmitter, very easy to adjust on the fly, but I love the way the Traxxas feels in my hand.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Put a tp 4070 and a sf 300 in my mean machine 2. try and get some pics later. Great idea for a thread.

2nd coat of bondo on the Chopper hull, this stuff is pretty easy to work with, about the consistency of toothpaste. Sands pretty well, on the first coat I knocked down all the high spots and with the ruler noted that I still needed to build up some areas.

20170404_220815.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Take a photo of the product u using when u can pls

NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Thanks

Found the reason why my motor quit on me. its a shame too....boat was running fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by silvr_tung_devl View Post
    Found the reason why my motor quit on me. its a shame too....boat was running fast!!!

That looks like a little over AMP'ed
    What motor is that?

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Can you dial down the sensitivity on the steering controls?
    If your radio has expo adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    That looks like a little over AMP'ed
    What motor is that?

Larry
    thats a 9yr old Electrifly Ammo 36-56 1800kv rated at 50a cont. 90a burst, esc is an 80 amp.....might have held the burst a little too long......

My Aquacraft 2030kv regularly pulls 75-90 amps, 120amp shoukd be minimum esc.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Took the new vac-u-tug to the lake today for a trial run, ESC wouldn't arm. Awesome. Put the Spartan in next, managed 46mph on the second pass (still painfully unstable and slower than it should be), then ripped the hatch off and killed my GPS. Put the last boat in the water, after I slipped on the rocks and dropped it. Cracked the hull. I need a beer.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast