Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your boat today?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    So Ryan, were there any noticeable handling problems with the off centre setup? The prop would sit deeper in the water when turning one way than the other. Just curios.
    The boat was a mess when I got it and I'm breaking all sorts of setup rules by changing multiple things at once. Not a big deal, because I'm not testing at this point, just taking large steps to get it setup how I think it should be. With that said, the boat turned well with no noticeable favor to one side or the other, but I never made high speed turns because it was so unstable in a straight line and didn't want it to end upside down. Obviously not the most water tight vessel when floating on its hatch. Working on that too. The chine walking, even at moderate speeds, was just ridiculous to the point where it seemed immanent that the boat would spin out while going straight.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

New patient to the Proboat abused boat hospital, Impulse 31 V3 with a cracked deck seam. Closed the crack with medium CA the mixed up chopped carbon and finishing resin and poured it down the length of the seam. Ruined a pair of new jeans in the process. Found out I didn't completely seal the crack with CA and I had heated the resin to make it easier to pour. Turns out, it made it easier to drip out through the crack too. Oh well. Finished the damaged side then flipped it and poured a run down the other seam. Once that's set I need to reglue the plastic bulkhead back in and then engineer a breakaway rudder. Seems like the Miss Geico V2 rudder with the Impulse V2 mount will be the way to go. Waterproofed the receiver too.

2017-03-11 15.24.58.jpg2017-03-11 15.25.12.jpg2017-03-11 17.18.54.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Also did a little inlay work on the Zelos. Really only intended to do the backs of the strut mounting surfaces, but it escalated quickly.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I would say it's a plus even though you messed up your jeans. I have specific boat building jeans that I do not care if I get covered in glue.

Skip the CA next time and do the same way, far stronger and longer lasting.

I just glued in some aluminum plates for turn fins on my DF23. I'll drill and thread them tomorrow. After I finish dinner I'm going to glue on the scoops and maybe do some wood boat building too. Finally feel like building. Next two days we will get a whack of snow so I might prep the old Geico to do snow running.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I hated the motor mount and tub in the Motley crew from day 1 so I changed it up a bit.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by roofintrash View Post
    I hated the motor mount and tub in the Motley crew from day 1 so I changed it up a bit.
    Nice. How much effort was required to take out the tub?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Nice. How much effort was required to take out the tub?
    I just marked a line 1/4" down and went around it with a cutoff wheel slowly. Then I took a pair of tin snips and started clipping it into pieces. Probably took 20 minutes start to finish.
    Now that the inlay is done it is quite stout and the motor mount is solid.
    Rick

Looks good. I have been debating doing this to mine.

I've never seen the inside portion of the MC, nice job.

Zelos looking good too Ryan, how many boats do you have now in total?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Zelos looking good too Ryan, how many boats do you have now in total?
    Thanks. Like any disease, they're multiplying. I'm enjoying rebuilding, repairing, and modifying at the moment. Still haven't mustered the ambition to start one of the two build boats I have.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Mixed up and poured about 20ml of finishing resin and chopped fiber into the bow of the Impulse. Learned my lesson last time, so I used a water bath decided to pour a small amount first. If I need more, I'll mix up another cup.

2017-03-13 17.01.19.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Made some progres on my battery trays, epoxied my stuffing tube and support, next up, final epoxy on the motor mount.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Well it's almost 100* here already ,took out my stock Zonda ,5 s isn't fast enough ,it looks like the 120 A sea kings can go 6 s,also ran my genesis ,took an X 411 off the Zonda to try,needs a faster motor ,only 1600 kv,on 6 s it was about as fast as the Zonda ,both need a little more muscle ,

Made of some stuffing tube caps for my Zelos wire drives today. REDLINE1 gave these to me last year, 1/4" rubber automotive vacuum caps. I drilled a 7/32" hole in the tip of each one, cut it down in length, and they slip right over the end of the teflon liner. They should function exactly as the short pieces of cooling hose that I use on my flex cable boats. I also managed to get all of the hardware reinstalled. This poor boat had been sitting stripped apart all winter, but it's just about ready for action again. I used silicone caulk on all of the transom hardware and sealed the struts up against the back of the sponsons. That's where all my water came in last year. Hope to be dry this season.

I almost had the Impulse 31 all wrapped up as well, but I snapped off the hose barb on the rudder after I drilled it out. Wall thickness was just too thin. Now I have to drill it out, retap, and then install a new barb that won't be here until next week. I did get the new adjustable trim tabs installed. I have a set of Darin Jordan's turn fins too, but those will go on last once the boat is off the work bench. The turn fins always seem to poke holes in clothing and scratch me unnecessarily. So, they're staying in the plastic packaging for now.

2017-03-18 14.24.19.jpg2017-03-18 14.32.36.jpg2017-03-18 14.33.01.jpg

2017-03-18 17.20.04.jpg2017-03-18 17.20.50.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

All I got done was putting my battery straps in and epoxying the servo mount in. Might be ready for a shakedown run in a few weeks.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Might be ready for a shakedown run in a few weeks.
    Shakedown weather is almost here!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

20170319_200759.jpg20170319_200750.jpg20170319_200826.jpg

Added some gauges and figures today to my aeromarine apache 50.
    Getting them ready for paint.
    thanks...

Where do you buy your gforce lipos? Are they solid for spec class racing?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice job. I'll be doing the same to mine as well to lower the CG. Batts sit considerably lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Where do you buy your gforce lipos? Are they solid for spec class racing?
    Not sure how long you run at the races but I Got a good 4 minutes out of these really pushing the boat with a 445 on the back. All stock electronics. Never hit LVC. I just hate the plug in leads.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-2s-t.html
    Rick

i took my stock Zelos 36 out for its 3rd run since I owned it today. First time with 4 revo 3s 5000 mah batteries. Ran great.....until it died in the middle of the lake.....at first it would only go in a left turn until it died completely. I thought I dropped a prop or flexshaft. It slowly drifted to the opposite shore of the lake. After an hour of hiking and traversing two rivers...I finally got it! Got it back to the shop bench and it turns out that both motors are fried! One is completely dead and the other will spin, smoke and freewheel after you let off the throttle. I watched the video of the run and there appears to be no problems...she was running fine....wonder what Horizon Hobby will say about this. Very odd that both motors would go at the same time! On top of that the ESC's no longer beep when you turn them on. They sill flash as normal and illuminate solid green when armed...they just dont beep anymore. I will call tomorrow and see what Horizon sais.
    Proboat Voracity, Proboat Zelos 36, H.E. Richardson Tug Boat for a rescue boat.

Were you able to see water flowing from both coolant outlets? How long into the run did the boat die?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Cant say for sure that I saw water coming out of the outlets as I was forced to run the boat straight out and back towards me due to size limitations of where I was on the lake. I was at about 5 mins when the boat died. That wasn't continuous running tho. I would do a cpl runs out and back then I would have to wait for a lab that was fetching a ball in the lake as well. I blew some compressed air into the lines into a paper towel and saw no obstructions come out of the lines. I have pulled both motors and the one that still kinda works free wheels when you spin it. The left motor still has that "indexed" feeling when you turn it by hand but when it is connected it does nothing.

Called Horizon this AM and they are replacing the motors under warranty....no problem! Wish every company stood behind their product like this!

Also very important to grease the cable each run and make sure you have the approperiate gap between the drive dog and the prop shaft. Not enough grease/gap can cause a lot of built up of heat and overload on the motors and esc's.

zelos strut 2.JPG

zelos strut.JPG
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Agreed! I pull the flexshats and clean them and let everything dry after I run the boat and regrease every time. I also measure the gap when reinstalling so I know everything was done right there. I also oil the front bearings on the motors after every run as per Raphials instructional video. Still not sure what caused both motors to burn up....

That certainly sounds like you were maintaining the drivelines. Did you inspect the alignment of the flexshaft to the stuffing tube? Anything irregular with the teflon lining, I would pull those and look for burned or melted sections.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

I honestly researched the heck out of both the Zelos and Voracity before I purchased them. Wanted to know what the known issues were for both boats so I could stay on top of the maintenance and knew what to watch out for. I checked the alignment of the motors, as well as check the tightness of the screws holding the motors in place, as they are known to loosen, every battery change...everything was good. When I pulled the flexshafts out after the last run, there is no signs of burning anywhere....they look as good as they did the first time I pulled them out. Before I pulled the flexshafts the last time I spun them and they didn't bind or feel abnormal....it really has me scratching my head! Maybe something clogged in the cooling lines and then dislodged itself before I was able to retrieve the boat?? But clogging the lines on both motors at the same time? What are the odds?

Sounds like you know what to watch out for, commend you on that. Can you post the video of the run? The Zelos has pickups through the bottom of the hull correct?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast