Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your boat today?

Capt'n.
    That's an m645 prop.
    Our restricted classes run the Proboat 1500kv 6 pole motor, with the 45A ESC.
    That prop & the m447 seem to work best.

Just sanding the inside of a Cyberstorm. Ready for inlay. Making a P mono
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice boat for a P mono Ray.
    What are you powering that with?

Today's little effort was to fit a new coupler & shaft in my RSX310 rigger.
    I spun the flex in the coupling last year, & as we haven't been racing it sat neglected, the poor thing.

Although the end of the flex was worn out it will be shortened & used in a mono or cat at some stage as they usually use shorter flexes.
    The coupler is in the trash.

The worn flex & coupler. The new flex on top.
    001.jpg

All back in the boat.
    002.jpg

Yesterday,

I Crashed one ....yeah.... we were sippin bourbon and thought it would be fun to go racing, I was going to splash the kids standing on the docks with a full speed run at the docks and my brain and fingers connection was lagging.

now I can justify another build

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Nice boat for a P mono Ray.
    What are you powering that with?

Today's little effort was to fit a new coupler & shaft in my RSX310 rigger.
    I spun the flex in the coupling last year, & as we haven't been racing it sat neglected, the poor thing.

Although the end of the flex was worn out it will be shortened & used in a mono or cat at some stage as they usually use shorter flexes.
    The coupler is in the trash.

The worn flex & coupler. The new flex on top.
    001.jpg

All back in the boat.
    002.jpg
    I’m building on the cheap side Paul. Just an SSS 4082, 2000kv and a SF esc on 4s2p, 10,000mah.

Just did the inlay as it was sunny and warm out. My old p mono was a DF 33 hull. I just gutted it and added a small, light inlay. New motor mounts and servo mounts, blue power 20kg servos all around. The DF 33 is going to be a limited class boat with Dynm3835 1500kv motor and some esc I have around like a Raider/Flycolor 150.

I’m also waiting for parts at LHS to finish my 310, lol... I need a Sullivan 4-40 spring loaded ball link and other nick knacks to mount servo. I might paint it tomorrow if I can get some primer.

Lots on the go, assembly line style.
    Nortavlag Bulc

58373619_319969122000125_2668300126866374656_n.jpg

Cutting styrofoam when my wife can not see it ... I hate to cut that material.

he! he! yeah! Especially when the wind blows through the workshop & the little beads go everywhere.

First two trips to the lake in the books. Last weekend was cut short with some storms, but I finally got my Zelos out with the new motors and ran two sets of packs through it before the rain came. Had to dial in a fair amount of negative trim to keep it on the water with the windy conditions. Ran smooth with the wind, and ran faster into the wind because of the additional hull lift, but you had to keep an eye on the bow and shut it down before it would flip. Had a best pass of the day of 94mph on 1716 props. Motor and ESC temps were about 100*, all good news.

Fast forward to today, even windier than last weekend. Had one of my worst crashes ever with this hull. Lots of additional reinforcements over the last year, but none that could saved a bent strut. Broke off one of my rear motor mounts too. It appears JB Weld alone was not enough. The repair will involve some cloth and mixed fibers.

2019-05-27 12.17.26.jpg 2019-05-27 12.18.47.jpg 2019-06-02 11.34.33.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That’s really good doing 94 in unfavourable conditions. Kudos Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    First two trips to the lake in the books. Last weekend was cut short with some storms, but I finally got my Zelos out with the new motors and ran two sets of packs through it before the rain came. Had to dial in a fair amount of negative trim to keep it on the water with the windy conditions. Ran smooth with the wind, and ran faster into the wind because of the additional hull lift, but you had to keep an eye on the bow and shut it down before it would flip. Had a best pass of the day of 94mph on 1716 props. Motor and ESC temps were about 100*, all good news.

Fast forward to today, even windier than last weekend. Had one of my worst crashes ever with this hull. Lots of additional reinforcements over the last year, but none that could saved a bent strut. Broke off one of my rear motor mounts too. It appears JB Weld alone was not enough. The repair will involve some cloth and mixed fibers.

2019-05-27 12.17.26.jpg 2019-05-27 12.18.47.jpg 2019-06-02 11.34.33.jpg
    Incredible job as always Ryan! I've been using G-Flex for critical adhesion areas after some simple butt-joint tests with CF scraps comparing the bond to JB. It is quite flexible and this is very noticeable if you have some extra cured resin remaining in the cup to play with. The only drawback is its also very runny compared to JB so I either thicken or do multiple applications. It levels very nice and glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    That’s really good doing 94 in unfavourable conditions. Kudos Ryan.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Incredible job as always Ryan! I've been using G-Flex for critical adhesion areas after some simple butt-joint tests with CF scraps comparing the bond to JB. It is quite flexible and this is very noticeable if you have some extra cured resin remaining in the cup to play with. The only drawback is its also very runny compared to JB so I either thicken or do multiple applications. It levels very nice and glossy.
    Agreed, I'll be using that for the repair. I have silica powder to thicken it up, and the graphite does too to a certain degree.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Put my Zelos into the 100mph club today... almost. GPS read 98mph, datalogger showed 100mph over several points. Return pass was 99mph. I'd like a few more mph after I reinforce a replacement canopy. Tried a different set of props on the second set of batteries to try and gain a few more RPM, but the day went downhill from there. I was able to run a set of packs through my Rivercat too. I had some ESC issues last time out and after another throttle calibration, they seem to have been cured. I propped down today because of the wind and got 86mph on the GPS (87 in the logger) on 4S. There's another 15mph in this boat with a hotter prop. Hope to run it at the Flint fall speed trial event in a couple of weeks.

2019-09-08 10.58.52 (Medium).jpg 2019-09-08 13.46.30.jpg 2019-09-08 13.41.45.jpg 2019-09-08 13.42.16.jpg 2019-09-08 11.35.36 (Medium).jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I tested a my 1/8 scale.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Replaced the two motors with TP 1570kv 4050's
    New custom coolers from HamR/C 70mm long left and right water inputs.
    and new plugs all around.

Larry
    It was already ballistic. Why did you make the changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    It was already ballistic. Why did you make the changes?
    I wanted a little more out of it, then I added more weight to be completely stable in race traffic.
    Right now it is running at 77 Mph in race setup.

I also got plans for a 41" twin 8S boat for S&T class or OPEN class against the Nitro and Gas guys.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Put a few more runs on my UL 19 today, along with some other stuff.....great day! lottsa fun, brought everything home in one piece!!
    Last edited by Bill Gibson; 09-21-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Bent up my stuffing tube and kinked it then binned it! Annealed the next tube and… winner! Lesson learnt for next time… anneal it, it’s much easier. ��

So I heard around the traps and from my work colleagues (bunch of vehicle mechanics) that stainless rod couldn’t be threaded or was just too difficult. Well I proved that theory wrong. I threaded both ends of 3mm stainless steel and attached ball ends for my servo to rudder linkage as well as making four right angle bends to suit. Must say I’m pretty happy with the end result.

Robbo.
    Did you use anything special, or just a standard threading die?

I threaded stainless rod with a standard (cheap) thread die and cutting fluid. It was slow going, but I got enough threads for the ball joint ends to full engage. You can't beat the fit and finish with a setup like that.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Robbo.
    Did you use anything special, or just a standard threading die?
    No just a standard die and used a Wynns engine oil friction proofing as cutting fluid lol. Nice clean threads.
    Last edited by robbo1; 10-04-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Sold it... ��
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Stainless rod threads ok, some grades can be slightly tougher to thread. Better using HSS taps or dies on stainless as stainless is harder on tooling used.

how about the stainless steel push bike spokes. you can get these from 440 size and up. saves work.

Replaced my standard motor bearings with some hybrid ceramic bearings.

Not sure if I will gain any benefit from it, lol.

Any opinions?

Started work on the cabins for my 50" Dauntless.

I know. It is not strictly a 'Fast Electric'. But it will be quick.

013.jpg

It should look something like this when it's finished.

1211-3.jpg

Robbo

Any opinions?
    You probably won't notice much difference unless the original bearings were really shot.
    Last edited by 785boats; 11-22-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo1 View Post

Any opinions?
    won't hurt...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast