Thread: JAE mini sprint question

Default JAE mini sprint question

Just finished building this and currently running a 3500kv outrunner on 3s with a tfl 430 prop. Heres my question.......should I be running a teflon liner in my stuffing tube? Especially since i'm planning an upgrade to a leopard 4420kv motor? Seems to me I should, but have never seen where anyone else is........thoughts?????

Hi im in the process of building a mini sprint myself and will not be installing a teflon liner i personally believe teflon creates more drive line resitance.I do recomend a quality marine grease i personly use Mercury marine's 2-4-C grease on all my fe boats with out teflon liner. I plan on using a Leoepard 28x45 4700 KV on my mini sprint.. Which esc are you using in your boat? Regards Andris Golts.

I ran one in mine, and would again. I have only tried linerless once (in a JAE.21FE) and won't do it again, the maintenance of linerless was the worst part for me, it needed re-greasing before every run, whereas with a liner I can put an oiled flex in at the start of the day and leave it alone till the end of the day.

Linerless was also louder than running a liner and the noise gap increased during a 5 minute race, as the grease thinned out or was ejected.

I believe the opposite of Andrew, that PTFE has less friction than brass and that grease is stickier than oil so a greased linerless setup has added resistance, compared to and oil or water lubricated liner setup.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andris Golts View Post
    Hi im in the process of building a mini sprint myself and will not be installing a teflon liner i personally believe teflon creates more drive line resitance.I do recomend a quality marine grease i personly use Mercury marine's 2-4-C grease on all my fe boats with out teflon liner. I plan on using a Leoepard 28x45 4700 KV on my mini sprint.. Which esc are you using in your boat? Regards Andris Golts.
    I'm running the recommended Plush 60. its a bit big, but I made it work....for now...may look into something with a smaller footprint.
    I've always used a teflon liner, but one wasn't included with this kit, so I was unsure if I needed it or not. I think I will with this one....Thanks for the advice!!!!

New to the hobby. Can y'all post pics of y'alls rigger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Cool

After an actual test to measure the drag difference between liner and no liner, I have been running without liners almost exclusively for over a decade. I haven't broken a cable in that time, I haven't replaced a stuffing tube, I haven't had a wadded up liner and I've set dozens of SAW records.

I use a 70W synthetic gear oil with an EP additive, and I usually run three heats without re-oiling the cable. The cable is always well coated with lube when I pull it out. When needed, I often run a silicone fuel line over the inner end of the stuffing tube my lube doesn't get washed out. Teflon liners need lube too, so there is little to be gained there.

Note that all my running is heats of about 2 minutes total time on the water. If I ran enduros lasting 5 to 10 minutes then a Teflon liner might be an advantage. Or not. I have no problem with anyone running or not running a Teflon liner, but this has worked for me for many years and many very fast boats.

To avoid jacking this thread teamgear1973 should really start his own thread, he'd get more responses. But since we've started I do have some lousy pics of my JAE21:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post

Awesome riggers bud

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    After an actual test to measure the drag difference between liner and no liner, I have been running without liners almost exclusively for over a decade. I haven't broken a cable in that time, I haven't replaced a stuffing tube, I haven't had a wadded up liner and I've set dozens of SAW records.

I use a 70W synthetic gear oil with an EP additive, and I usually run three heats without re-oiling the cable. The cable is always well coated with lube when I pull it out. When needed, I often run a silicone fuel line over the inner end of the stuffing tube my lube doesn't get washed out. Teflon liners need lube too, so there is little to be gained there.

Note that all my running is heats of about 2 minutes total time on the water. If I ran enduros lasting 5 to 10 minutes then a Teflon liner might be an advantage. Or not. I have no problem with anyone running or not running a Teflon liner, but this has worked for me for many years and many very fast boats.

To avoid jacking this thread teamgear1973 should really start his own thread, he'd get more responses. But since we've started I do have some lousy pics of my JAE21:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg
    Nice rigger bud

Wished I had the talent to put one of these together lol. The price for one ain't that bad but would hate to buy it mess it up putting it together

It is a very easy build if you make a jig and follow the excellent step by step instructions. it has been done, but I think it would be hard to go wrong if you have an ounce of common sense.

Fluid's JAE.21 is close to double the size of the JAE Mini Sprint you can see the difference in one of my photos as it has what was the whole JAE family at the time, the MiniSprint on the left, the .12 in the middle and the .21FE on the right, all the other photos I posted are of the MiniSprint as per the thread title. They have a similar design philosophy, and are both are good boats, but they are really not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg
    Sorry bud didn't mean to step on any toes. Will start my own thread

I'm (still) in the middle of building my mini, how do I add a teflon liner?
    I mean exactly.. what do I order, how is it inserted (any tricks?)
    Is there enough gap between the stock brass and stock cable for the liner to fit?

Sorry for the novice questions, I've built a few, but not really modded any.

Also.. Assan (sp?) put a wire drive in his mini... I need to go back and figure out exactly how that was done.

You just shove it up in the stuffing tube, nearly al have been a good hand pushable fit, if the ends were distorted in the cutting process it may be necessary to put a slash cut in one end of the PTFE with a sharp knife to aid insertion, and you may have to deburr the stuffing tube. On a couple of occasions I have received (not from OSE) liners that have been slightly oversize and could not be pushed into the stuffing tube, if this occours grip each end of the (oversize) PTFE with a pair of pliers and pull it taught stretching it a little which shrinks its diameter, then quickly slash cut one end and stuff it up the tube, it will relax and expand a little to grip the stuffing tube well. My Zippkits Minisprint kit came with a liner and an appropriately sized stuffing tube, but it was from the first batch and I have seen someone saying recently that theirs came without one and with a stuffing tube sized for running without one.

If it doesn't have one and the stuffing tube is too small to fit one you will need the PTFE liner and the stuffing tube, I think the Minisprint came with a .130 flex (but I don't have mine any more to check) which would require a .130 Liner and a 7/32 stuffing tube.

That spelling is correct.