Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crusader.

Default Crusader.

Here are the rudimentary beginnings of John Cobbs' Crusader. The next boat in the line of 'World Water Speed Record Boats' that I'm building.

Again in 1/8 scale like the others. So a total length of around 46".

I'm not confident that the EDF will work in this one because the inlets are even smaller in proportion than the Spirit of Australia that I've just completed.
    But I'll make them bigger & open out the cockpit as an air inlet so we can give it a damn good crack at working with an EDF.
    I've got no problems with converting it to a prop rider if the EDF doesn't work.
    Here's some photos & information on the original boat for those interested. I find that researching a project can be as much fun, and certainly as interesting, as building & running a boat.
    A Canard design in 1952. Love it. But a tragic end to a pioneer in water speed record attempts.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=J...i2BmYQ_AUIBigB

And here's a few pics of the basic frame work. Early days yet, but the shape is there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yes I see the inlet issue. Should be another fun build though.

Yep. The main thing is the challenge & the fun factor with these boats.

But I've done a few calculations & without ruining the scale features too much, I can increase the inlet areas to about 30% larger than the fan area.The scoops will be a bit larger of course, but the main gain will be by increasing the angle & depth that the concave areas recess into the hull. That makes the area at the rim of the scoop much larger. And then with the extra area of the open cockpit floor added to that, it might just be enough to work. Here's hoping.

Made a bit of progress this afternoon.
    Installed the rear blocks to give the stern some strength & the required shape for the skins.
    Then the bottom half of the side skins were attached.
    The 1/16" ply that I normally skin a hydroplane with, would not conform to the compound curves of this boat, so I decided to use the age old method of balsa planking. That's actually what is shown on the drawings in the smaller scale, with 1/8" balsa.
    I used 5mm balsa.
    The top will be covered with 5mm x 10mm planks. They will need to be tapered & beveled to fit the curves.
    That's the next part of the project. But I'll have to seal the inside with epoxy resin first.
    I might even add a bit of fiberglass tape along the joins where the sides meet the bottom of the boat. Just for insurance against cracking as there was a fair bit of pressure on the curves along those joints.

Rear balsa blocks added to form the shape at the rear of the hull

001.jpg

Starting the side skins.

003.jpg

Bottom view.

004.jpg

Side view.

005.jpg

I cut some sheets of 5mm balsa into 11mm wide strips. & spent a lot of yesterday merrily planking the hull. It's been a long time since I've built a boat in this fashion. Balsa planks on ply frames with good old PVA exterior wood glue. And pins. Lots of pins.

The cowling was already framed up in the hull, so when the glue had set, I cut through the planks at the bulkdead/cowl lines and pried the cowl loose. As I suspected some glue had seeped into the gap between the bulkheads & the cowl frames so it took a fair amount of persuading to get the cowl free. a few chips & dings to patch up, but that's easy.

So now I need to cut the holes for the air intakes & the cockpit. Hopefully the cowl won't spring out of shape with 3 big holes in it.

The final few planks pinned into place.

001.jpg

The cowl lines cut through

003.jpg

Cowl off. Plenty of room in there for batteries & ESC etc.

005.jpg

That is a true masterpiece.

Thanks Pete.
    Not quite yet, but I'll try to do the old boat justice.
    Here's something a bit different. The original boat had the rudder mounted on the heel of the front ski.
    I wonder how the model will behave with that setup?
    It will be interesting to say the least.
    Last edited by 785boats; 02-27-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Thanks Pete.
    Not quite yet, but I'll try to do the old boat justice.
    Here's sometjing a bit different. The original.boat had the rudder mounted on the heel of the front ski.
    I wonder how the model will behave with that setup?
    It will be interesting to say the least.
    Oh man, I would be dying to try that, but then I'm peculiar that way. I would not think it would take much travel for it to do its job, for its given purpose. You will likely be playing with the Tx adjustments to get it right.

I too was thinking that it may be sensitive to the controls.
    But I did read somewhere that they increased the size of the rudder because he couldn't turn the boat around at the end of a run without assistance.
    But if it was on the full size boat, then it's going to be on a scale model too. That's the law isn't it?

Also on my list of world record holders to build, is the Miss Britain III. She also had a rudder at the front of the boat. In front of the main step even. I don't particularly like the look of this boat. But I have to build it at some stage, because I have the plans, and it was such an innovative design for 1933. Here's a couple of pics.

The forward rudder.

MISS-BRITAIN-III-boat-plans.jpg

The rudder linkage across the deck.miss-britain-iii-power-boat-national-maritime-museum-greenwich-london-B086P1.jpg

A sketch of the whole boat. It was designed & built in just 10 weeks.

missbritain.jpg

I hacked into the hull last night and cut out the recessed inlets and lined the resulting hole with some 0.4mm aircraft ply. Looks pretty cool. As stated previously, I made them slightly bigger and deeper into the hull where the rim of the external scoop will be. That created a larger intake area in total.
    I shaped a foam block to make the scoops from fiberglass to get a more scale like shape for the final product. A bent piece of ply just won't make the right shape.

The cutouts with the 0.4mm ply added to the hull section.

003.jpg

A view into the EDF location.

005.jpg

The cowl removed.

004.jpg

The foam plug for the air scoops.

006.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 03-27-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Slowly getting a bit more done.
    The scoops have been made.
    I made the front Ski today.
    A bit of 1/16" ply for the sides. Some foam block for the main shape & some 1/16"ply for the bottom skin.
    The heel of the ski was laminated from 2 pieces of 1/8" ply because the rudder post will need to be attached to that part of the ski.
    The original boat had a flat Ski, but I added a bit of dihedral into the last part of the ski to try and eliminate the bounce that canards can get with a flat ski.

I also received the pilot that will become John Cobb.
    Amazing detail. Almost the same pose as the last photo of John Cobb before his fateful run.

One of the scoops.
    022.jpg

The sides with the foam infill.
    002.jpg

Bottom skin fitted, showing the added dihedral.
    004.jpg

The pilot John Cobb.
    008.jpg

The last photo of Cobb.
    464476801.jpg

A bit more progress during the week.The bottom halves of the sponsons were made from some 1/16" ply & epoxied to the spars.
    As it was St Patrick's day, a few pints of Guinness seemed appropriate at the time.
    I also glassed the main hull. Another coat of resin & then the cowls & headrest can be attached.

The basic sponsons.
    027.jpg

Epoxied to the spars.
    028.jpg

Bottom skins added.
    029.jpg

The three forward panels epoxied together. A few pints of Guinness to celebrate St Patrick's Day.
    030.jpg

Glass-work on the main hull ready for trimming.
    031.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 03-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Very cool.

Back at it again!

Yeah.
    I get bits & pieces done now & then. It's all about time.

A report on the last few days/evenings.
    Firstly. I added some carbon fiber tubes to the spars & into the main hull, for some added strength.
    Then I trimmed the top edges of the sponsons with some 5mm sq balsa & then filled them with 2 part foam.
    Next the balsa blocks were cut, epoxied on to the sponsons, & then carved & sanded to shape.

The inlet cowls & headrest were epoxied on to the hull, & then the whole thing was given a coat of finishing resin. That's the second coat for the main hull, but the first for the sponsons. They will need sanding & a second coat applied.
    Now the fun begins. I have to strip the EDF out of the Spirit of Australia & set it up in this boat so I can make up the thrust tube.

Carbon tubes added for strength.
    001.jpg

Two part foam added.
    002.jpg

Balsa blocks added & shaped.
    001.jpg

Inlet cowls & headrest added.
    003.jpg

A closeup view.
    006.jpg

Its really taking shape now. Your build threads make it look so easy.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks.
    Some is easy. Some is difficult. Some is just tedious. But it's all fun.
    But yes it's starting to look like the real thing.
    The last thing to do now for the hull, is the shrouds around the main spars. More balsa blocks methinks.This falls into the tedious category.

The fan & thrust tube have now been set up in this boat.
    All I need to do now is fashion up some mounts. That's tomorrow evenings work.

I also made up a platform in the cockpit for the pilot to sit on, while leaving as much open space around it for more air inlet area. I had to cut some off the bottom of the figure to get him low enough.

EDF, thrust tube, ESC & batteries, all fitted.
    001.jpg

The batteries slide in under the EDF.
    009.jpg

Captain Cobb in the office.
    011.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post

The batteries slide in under the EDF.
    009.jpg
    This looks so bada$$
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Luv the driver or pilot.

Kenny.
    They do look menacing, don't they.

Beaux.
    Some amazing detail on those pilots.

I spent most of the weekend watching the coverage of the Formula 1 event here in Australia, but I managed to get a bit more done on the Crusader in between practices, qualifying, support races & the main race.

The first thing was the mounts for the EDF. Just some 1/2" wood for the main bearers, & some ply gussets to spread the load to the stringers, bulkhead, & the side of the hull.

Then it was on to boxing in the spars with some 12mm balsa & epoxy.
    I carved & sanded the leading edges to shape & stuck them on first. Then the top & bottom blocks were added. And finally the rear blocks were shaped & epoxied on
    There's a few gaps to fill. But hey. There's nothing a pound of putty won't fix.

EDF mounts & ply gussets.
    078.jpg

Ply doublers on the front bulkhead.
    079.jpg

Boxing in the main spars. Just the trailing edge blocks to epoxy on.
    081.jpg

Just some final sanding & filling to do now.
    081.jpg

Finally got all the filling & sanding & coats of spray putty & sanding done.
    So today (Easter Good Friday holiday) I sprayed a coat of base primer on it & sanded that all back.
    Then I gave the cowling a coat of silver to see if it looked about the right shade. It'll do me.
    I'll get a coat on the hull tomorrow if the weather stays fine.

Man that is looking good!!

Great buildings like yours previous ones...Congrats Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Thanks guys.
    It's coming together nicely now.
    I've put a hold on the painting & decided to set up the rudder & servo, so I don't damage the finish paintwork by doing it later.
    I had to make up a small stuffing tube, & a bracket & spacer to bolt it on to the heel of the ski. I also butchered an old rudder & added a 4mm shaft into it.
    Here's a funny thing that almost caught me out when setting up the servo & linkages.. Because the rudder is at the front of the boat it has to swing the opposite way compared to a rudder on the transom to achieve the same direction direction of turn.
    I know it can be changed with the tx but I run about 30 boats off the one TX unit & I like to keep all the functions the same to avoid confusion.

The rudder & 4mm shaft.
    001.jpg

Stuffing tube, bracket & spacer.
    002.jpg

Inside the boat. Just needs the brackets for the servo, & a brace across the tube to the sides of the boat.
    004.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 04-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Great!!!

Over the last couple of days I've masked off the red trim colour & sprayed it on.
    So here she is Almost ready for a test run.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast