Thread: Any professional plumbers here? Need an education!

Default Any professional plumbers here? Need an education!

I need my water service line replaced. What is the downside to having the old Poly line split and a new one pulled in?

Thanks
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Plumbers motto: Hot water on the left, cold water on the right and doo doo does not flow up hill.

I hope you fixed your problem.

Sure did. Tks.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I need my water service line replaced. What is the downside to having the old Poly line split and a new one pulled in?

Thanks
    Just now saw this Doug, I'm a retired plumber, among other things. Why must it need replacing? How old is it? The supply line is PVC, or copper, not "poly", but I knew what you meant. I do not know what you mean by "line split". Who has made this recommendation? There are small trackers that pull pipe aprox. 16" deep, but are rarely used for small lots. How far from the meter to your house? Sometimes the meter can be in the house(?). Does the main line enter into a basement? I take it you had it fixed, what was done?
    Regards, Todd

Hey Todd.

Yes this was the old blue Polybutylene that there was a class action lawsuit over. The wall of that stuff was very thin and this was the third time I had to repair it. It developed pin hole leaks. This last time there were six or eight in a square 1/2" area, kind of strange. Water line was approx. 90' long and 40+''deep.

What they did was expose the water line at each end. They used a fish tape to pull in a 3/8" aircraft cable. They connected a line splitter and this deal that looked like a heavy duty spring type cord restraint that the new line was pushed up into. Then Statewide Wrecker Service was used to pull the splitter and new waterline through the old one. Pretty trick way to do it and minimal digging. Here is a video of the process less the wrecker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcmB1hW4QY
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 05-20-2021 at 06:00 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

so if you using plastic pipe how does the house get grounded to the water service ?

Grounding the electrical system to the water main is only one option. You can simply drop a 6' ground rod into the earth at the electrical meter and clamp to that.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Grounding the electrical system to the water main is only one option. You can simply drop a 6' ground rod into the earth at the electrical meter and clamp to that.
    in NY we need both water ground and 5/8 x6 ' ground rod

Cool, 4yr old plumbing spam
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)