Thread: 3.5mm gold bullet connector ?

Default 3.5mm gold bullet connector ?

Hi all . Doe's anyone know what is the maximum current handling capability is for the 3.5mm bullet connector's ? Im installing the esc and lipo's im my mini sprint and have no room for the Deans ultraplugs. I believe the ultra plugs are good for 70 amps.Regards Andris Golts.

I use them for my Mini Hydro and Mini Hydro Sprint class boats, I have seen ratings from 40-60A, but I have used several types and all have been sufficient for my minis. Kontronic make silver plated alloy 4mm connectors which are lower resistance and lighter, but they are a PITA to get hold of here in the UK, whereas all online and local model shops carry 3.5mm.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Andre,
    I've used 3.5s in two Mini Sprints and run up to about 52mph without any problems. They work fine on 3s both with water cooling and without.
    Bob

Cool

There is a wide range of amp ratings for 3.5mm plugs, because there are many different types. Amp ratings range from 35 amps to over 80 amps, it all depends on plug quality.
    asaa.jpgasaaasa.jpgaa.jpgaaa.jpgaaaaa.jpg
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks to all for the great information . Regards Andris Golts.

Fluid,
    I'm guessing that that the ones in the second photo from the left and the bottom ones in the third photo are capable of carrying a higher load, is that correct? I never really cared for the ones that have the little compressible section. It always seemed that the little spring section would carry most of the current. I could be wrong, but I see that all the bigger bullets, 6,6.5,8 are solid stock that is split 3 or 4 times. Please correct me if I am wrong. I'm relatively new at this, and am always learning something new.
    Regards,
    Bob

The split connectors offer lower resistance when new and the prongs are stiff as long as they are not overheated during soldering, the spring cage connectors have a more consistent spring pressure and tend to maintain low resistance for longer. For smaller connectors I prefer spring cage type, but they are very pricey in 6mm so I use split connectors for bigger stuff.

Minis are pretty different to full size FE boats, the size limits the amount of power you can use pretty well, you will have trouble using more than about 500W unless you are doing SAWs on flat water, and in that case the 20 second runtime will limit connector heat, any decent 3.5 mm connector will be fine as long as you don't soften it too much soldering it.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.