Thread: My first 50" catamaran. need help

Default My first 50" catamaran. need help

In need of help selecting a motor and prop combo for a 50" cat. Hoping for 80 to 100mph.

Budget?

I am married so you probably know what that means lol. Have 400$ to start but will spend whatever it takes.

What brand of hull and single or dual motor(s)?...assuming dual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler209 View Post
    I am married so you probably know what that means lol. Have 400$ to start but will spend whatever it takes.
    I get that!

You do realize that you are looking at probably in excess of 2K.

Do you have LiPos and chargers already? If so..what voltages batts do you currently have?

You're going to need to post some more info and pictures of the hull so these guys can steer you in the right direction

It's supposed to be an Express Craft hull, but I don't see any 50" hulls made buy them. It looks like a Bonzi from what I can find. This boat had a gas motor in it but I want to convert to electric so it will be a single motor. I will post pictures later this afternoon. I'm heavy into airplanes; gas, nitro, & electric; so I have lots of lipo stuff. I will be buying batteries for the boat, thinkin probably 4-6 cell. Just not sure if I need high KV or high voltage depending on prop.

I would be going HV on a hull that size. A Castle 2028 would push it along well. That is 800kv and a 10s setup and prolly 10,000mah on tap. Or any like sized motor(56 X110). Add to that a HV ESC of 240-300 amps. I think I would steer you toward a Flier 300 ESC, Swordfish 240, or Etti 220 HV.

I have done the gas conversions before so I suggest doing yourself a favour and cleaning the interior real well with a product called Simple Green. It will eliminate all oils and such.

Also watch the cell count you choose as apparently some insurances do not cover them, if you are the insurance type guy. I assume you are as you stated flying.

Shawn

Something to keep in mind is that these larger gas hulls are laid up quite heavy, yes a good thing for a fast boat but you'll certainly want all the motor you can get for it especially since your's will be a single motor, largest size of TP unless you want to break the Bank with a Lehner 3060 or even 3080. Also, the ride pads on your Cat will most likely be flat or almost flat so will take alot of power to get it going fast, it's going to be a super solid boat at speed and cornering will be great but ultimate top speed and over 90mph is going to be a challenge especially seeing as you are doing a single. As srislash mentioned above, low Kv under 800Kv with more volts is best, even 700Kv on 10S2P and then 12S2P for 10,000ma is going to be alot at least to get started. I'm having alot of success with my Flier 400 amp esc's, you could do 300 amp model but for a few extra bucks it's totally worth the extra headroom for the 400 amp model. For props you are somewhat limited because you will be using 1/4 shaft, most of those props are going to be too large but one prop that works well for me is the ABC 2215, gives a nice amount of lift for a cat...actually Dasboata is the prop Master so get in touch with him and he'll do you up some nice props.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress, as usual keep us posted.

I need to figure out how to get pictures out of my E-Mail and on to here. I'm not very computer savy

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler209 View Post
    I need to figure out how to get pictures out of my E-Mail and on to here. I'm not very computer savy
    Haha, that was soooo me five years back.
    Have anyone around you to help you?

20170205_150051.jpg

This is one pic of my boat.

Old thread, but this may be some help.

The boat is Thunderbolt, I have one also. I have a build thread here forums. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ins&highlight=

My goals were 50mph, and budget was way more then 400. Not saying it cant be done, but...

-Pate