Thread: Search for the Super Battery

Default Search for the Super Battery

The television program NOVA aired a new episode last night titled “Search for the Super Battery”. This should probably be mandatory viewing for everyone reading this. It showed how lithium batteries work and how they’re made. It covered the dangers and shows how they’re tested.

One segment of particular interest was a guy in Texas who discovered a new material to use as an electrolyte that makes the battery completely safe from fire or explosion. It could also lead to batteries with TWICE the potential capacity in the same size and weight.

The episode can be viewed on line. Just search for NOVA Search for the Super Battery. You won’t be sorry.

But could they handle the amps?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Saw & recorded it last night. Lots of basic nomenclature explained. One thing that sticks in my mind 'tho was a conversation I had with a gent at the 2008 FE Nats in Minden who was a retired military engineer. He explained that the government had {this was 8 1/2 years ago} battery technology that is WAY ahead of anything civilian . With all the top secret UAV stuff going on I'm sure there's batteries in military use with far more energy density than we can imagine.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the next airing is 2/5/17 at 1AM CST if you're not streaming it.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Saw & recorded it last night. Lots of basic nomenclature explained. One thing that sticks in my mind 'tho was a conversation I had with a gent at the 2008 FE Nats in Minden who was a retired military engineer. He explained that the government had {this was 8 1/2 years ago} battery technology that is WAY ahead of anything civilian . With all the top secret UAV stuff going on I'm sure there's batteries in military use with far more energy density than we can imagine.
    We are more ahead of them then you know. I had a good friend that was the predominant battery guru that worked with the pentagon. He was amazed at what we were doing. He was pimping me for info. Safety and reliability is the issue. Theirs need to work every time. BTW my friend passed a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also watched it last night. It was interesting.
    You can google battery technologies and find some new things. The one I was eyeing up is the carbon/carbon battery.