Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by satan_in_secret View Post
    yes 120A power mosfet board was parallel.
    If I could get a second fet board I'd ask you for instructions.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Castle for racing
    Dynamite for sport

I wonder if there is any news from Castle yet? You listening Joe Ford?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I'm intrigued with new offerings from Flier and another Chinese company called Seal.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I'm intrigued with new offerings from Flier and another Chinese company called Seal.
    I think Flier has their ducks in a row now. Any I have have been good and same for anyone I know with them.
    Throttle response is excellent as is efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I think Flier has their ducks in a row now. Any I have have been good and same for anyone I know with them.
    Throttle response is excellent as is efficiency
    Throttle response is my primary complaint with Swordfish. I got an MGM to try and fit in my little Zonda, but it won't fit under the deck. The Flier's are nice and low profile, probably my next choice
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Throttle response is my primary complaint with Swordfish. I got an MGM to try and fit in my little Zonda, but it won't fit under the deck. The Flier's are nice and low profile, probably my next choice
    This complaint comes up frequently on the site... I haven’t experienced the problem, but while scoping out some of the servo signals, I noticed if the servo frame rate gets over 20mS, that reaction time is effected. I have a radio that allows me to set up that parameter, usually under a global setup menu for the transmitter. I set mine to 15mS and all 3 of my SW ESC’s seem just fine. Maybe that’s the variance causing this issue...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    This complaint comes up frequently on the site... I haven’t experienced the problem, but while scoping out some of the servo signals, I noticed if the servo frame rate gets over 20mS, that reaction time is effected. I have a radio that allows me to set up that parameter, usually under a global setup menu for the transmitter. I set mine to 15mS and all 3 of my SW ESC’s seem just fine. Maybe that’s the variance causing this issue...
    I just received a ISDT BG8 Batt Go checker and it actually tests your PWM frame rate.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Can KFX guy please post pic of his ESC and did you add caps? Thanks

I don’t see any addd caps ?

Quote Originally Posted by MG1234 View Post
    Can KFX guy please post pic of his ESC and did you add caps? Thanks

Yes I always add caps

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Travis...
    Did you make those cooling parts? Or order? Me want!
    I have one of those escs to water cool.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by satan_in_secret View Post
    for HV i like Schulze, MGM, SLS
    for LV, seaking or marine 120A x2 is suitable

Attachment 153546
    My favorite. Going to TRY to make one.
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 03-08-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Nice, I know it adds time to the process, but would you consider taking photos along the way and posting a step by step guide on here? I would love to see the process, and possibly follow along. I am sure I would not be the only one interested either.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Any major differences between the Castle Edge 200 and Mamba XLX ? The edge is about $80 more in price. Or is that the price for the Heli/Air software?

By far, my favorite over the years has been the MGM 280. I've put them through more than they ever should be able to handle. As-long-as you have caps and short wires, they can provide many years of service. Only caveat is that you have to be willing to program correctly with a computer.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Meniscus: Whats the most amount of amps you were able to push from one of the 280's?

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Nice, I know it adds time to the process, but would you consider taking photos along the way and posting a step by step guide on here? I would love to see the process, and possibly follow along. I am sure I would not be the only one interested either.
    I will if I do it. From what I gather in pictures and conversation with this gentleman, you basically remove the BEC from both and remove the control board from one. There are 2 sets of 6 pins soldered holding it on.

When you see these pictures it's not hard to figure out.

Don't get confused on wire color differences from the picture above. The esc above is just a different batch of colored wire. Color makes no difference. You are basically only soldering connections from the extra fet board to the top of the other control board. Not all 6 wires are used as you can see. He said this can also be done with V3 HW esc's. Actually, I think these pictures are of the V3, pretty sure. Same thing for the V2 I have here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 03-08-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Not ssure what he puts in between fet boards to prevent short circuits. I'll ask him.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Meniscus: Whats the most amount of amps you were able to push from one of the 280's?
    My official answer is 280A. I cannot confirm or deny that they will handle more than that (laughing). Often, you will find that you will exceed the current capacity on the motor prior to hitting 280A. Even for my SAW record, I don't see anything near that, even on low voltage and 2s. However, I've been running my own motors for some time now.

If you run the numbers on 6s, pulling 280A is more than 8 horsepower. I doubt there are very many of us that pull quite that much, but I know there are a few that do, especially with advanced timing!

The point of sharing my favorite was reliability. I haven't had an issue for many, many years now and the 280s I have still run strong with no signs of letting-up. (knock on wood)
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Well, a dual cat running LMT 1950's at 73k unloaded push much more than 300 amps... and I don't want to run an ESC that will limit me in amps. Which is what the MGM appears to do. Don't want to spend over $750 for ESC's that will not let me run uncapped anyways (it used to be much less around a year ago because of the USD to Euro exchange rates)

Hopefully there will be some 250-300 amp opensource ESC's available really soon - which appear to be much more efficient and better designed than anything in RC out there. Running firmware which can be tweaked and modified as needed.

What would be nice is if the mark up on them would come down some.

Hopefully there will be some 250-300 amp opensource ESC's available really soon - which appear to be much more efficient and better designed than anything in RC out there. Running firmware which can be tweaked and modified as needed.
    Interesting Dmitry can you tell us more about these speed controllers??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray, are these the ones as in the picture? https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...nt=30055448785

I would imagine the new 160 amp seakings have a similar layout - but does anyone know if they are completely sealed, or is it possible to pop open. That would be cool to stack those for a "320" amp total...

ANDDDD.... 2,000 amp burst

I don't know why they don't just make one not like they wouldn't sell

Ray, maybe use long 30mm Male header pins to connect the 2 power boards to the control board ? Would be more reliable and easier than with wires (if thats what you were going to use).

You can get them on amazon but ebay has big selection.

Well... on FB when Bill Oxidean was at the factory the other day, I sent him a picture of it ans told him to show it to them just before he blocked me out. Seems like good ideas only go so far.
    If you see one come out with Bill's name brand on it you know who gave the poke.

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    I don't know why they don't just make one not like they wouldn't sell
    Nortavlag Bulc

That's a great idea, however the pins only go through the control board and the pins actually have a 90* bend to solder flat on the FET board.
    I don't want to try to drill through the board to make that happen, not sure what other traces on the board may be effected? Actually I'd be drilling through fets. The way it's manufactured, they solder the pins on the FET board first then the control board goes on.

Ray, maybe use long 30mm Male header pins to connect the 2 power boards to the control board ? Would be more reliable and easier than with wires (if thats what you were going to use).

You can get them on amazon but ebay has big selection.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Well... on FB when Bill Oxidean was at the factory the other day, I sent him a picture of it ans told him to show it to them just before he blocked me out. Seems like good ideas only go so far.
    If you see one come out with Bill's name brand on it you know who gave the poke.
    That is probably what will happen to

We shall see. It's on on record on FB. Nothing escapes the Zuckerberg Algorithm!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast