Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite ESC?

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    They all can go poof and let the magic smoke out.
    This is my current fav......
    Attachment 149029

Yea well you better have a couple stacks of those bills about an inch thick to afford those things. Lol
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    The v-2 180 is a pretty damn good controller I still have a few.
    Lemme know if you ever wanna let one go. I have an awesome billet heatsink I made for one. It's a shame not to use it.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

My favourite esc at the moment is the Castle XL2, tuff as hell and nice and compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They all can go poof and let the magic smoke out.
    This is my current fav......
    Attachment 149029
    you should have put a stack of 100 dollar bills in place of the dollar bill lol

Seems castle is getting the popular vote at this time with the old Turnigy a being a close second.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

No body even mentioned swordfish lmao. They are going to be hurting when someone else releases something that can take the place of the sf300. I'm tired of being forced to use that esc. I don't hate it but I don't like it either.

That is exactly what I thought as well. The SF thread went dormant and haven't seen anyone gotten back any feedback other than generic responses. Looking forward to see this ESC you are referring to.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

I don't dislike the SF esc, i use several sf200, the problem is they are not as robust as the MGM, Castle, Schulze or even YGE.

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    That is exactly what I thought as well. The SF thread went dormant and haven't seen anyone gotten back any feedback other than generic responses. Looking forward to see this ESC you are referring to.
    I'm not really referring to anything in particular. I'm just saying if someone does. I have heard through reliable sources that one of the "liked" companies mentioned was supposed to be getting back into boat controllers but that was over a year ago.

Seriously guys let me ask you a question. Theoretically, say I buy a bunch of xl2 (well the new version) escs from castle , maybe at a discounted price.....and I converted them to water cooling and epoxy coated them and possibly changed the caps to the proper ones (they put the wrong voltage caps in those escs), how much would you guys be willing to pay for one of these escs? I have one in one of my boats pulling mad amps and it hasn't flinched. They drive very well, have reverse (for the silly people like me that prefer to have that option) and they have a nice datalogging feature. Here's mine but of course I dressed it up some.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Seriously guys let me ask you a question. Theoretically, say I buy a bunch of xl2 (well the new version) escs from castle , maybe at a discounted price.....and I converted them to water cooling and epoxy coated them and possibly changed the caps to the proper ones (they put the wrong voltage caps in those escs), how much would you guys be willing to pay for one of these escs? I have one in one of my boats pulling mad amps and it hasn't flinched. They drive very well, have reverse (for the silly people like me that prefer to have that option) and they have a nice datalogging feature. Here's mine but of course I dressed it up some.

Are the xl2's sold anymore? These have worked for me.

Kfxguy do the new version of the XL2 perform as well as the old? I think if you sold a fully waterproof and cooled version similar to the ones you made for yourself you will get quite a few takers.

What do you do use a stick radio? I am tired of Pisix kicking the bucket.
    Fixed endpoints work with Futaba and the air Castle controllers.

My favourite ESCs are the Castle Phoenix Ice Lite range, for the extensive but easy pc programming and the on board datalogging, from a packaging point of view I wish the motor wires were on the ends like most ESC rather than protruding from the middle but it is not a problem for the majority of situations.

The newer Phoenix Edge Lite range that has replaced them are 20-30% heavier (without wires) for the equivalent unit and the added functionality is of no interest to me, so the Ice range is still tops for me while some shops still have stock.

CC Phoenix ESCs are pretty expensive here though at £280 +postage for a 200A unit so I don't have them in all my boats, I have a fair few with Suppo GX200BEC ESCs or the many rebrandings there of, which are available from £22 posted for a Mystery RC 200A unit, they are a bit of a PITA to program, being TX program only and the cheaper ones having a very poor manual, but the ETTI manual is OK. They give better throttle responce and more RPM than the 3 Swordfish ESCs I bought when they first came out thinking they would be an upgrade due to the program box and higher price point. I have heard mixed reviews on them, but the way I use ESCs (datalogging and keeping my peak current under the rated current (except for SAWs)) they have been as reliable as any other.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

The xl2 isn't sold anymore but there's a new version of it. It's the same controller but at first it had a super neutered firmware compared to the xl2. I think since a bunch of people complained because in back to back testing, the new one was slower, they got rid of the neutering. I'd have to do some research and testing myself to confirm this but they would make great boat controllers if they were water cooled and water proof. I would think a $300ish price point would be fair. Opinions?

I think for the work that goes into it, machining the case, make the water cooling tube, putting it all together and coating it in epoxy then yes I think you are at the right price range. If you are interested I have 2 brand new cases left if you want them?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    I think for the work that goes into it, machining the case, make the water cooling tube, putting it all together and coating it in epoxy then yes I think you are at the right price range. If you are interested I have 2 brand new cases left if you want them?

I'll have to devise a different way of doing them. All that machining is too time consuming.

There was a guy on EBay selling water cooling plates, not sure if he is still about, the plate were very neat.

The xl2 isn't sold anymore but there's a new version of it. It's the same controller but at first it had a super neutered firmware compared to the xl2. I think since a bunch of people complained because in back to back testing, the new one was slower, they got rid of the neutering. I'd have to do some research and testing myself to confirm this but they would make great boat controllers if they were water cooled and water proof. I would think a $300ish price point would be fair. Opinions?
    The firmware was adjusted to add a failed startup error, and they had to dial back power until they knew the software worked.

Quote Originally Posted by jkrych View Post
    The firmware was adjusted to add a failed startup error, and they had to dial back power until they knew the software worked.
    Is it fixed yet?

Well, I went through both firmware updates with a monster X, and I did notice a new startup with the esc- and no shortage of power so I have to say yes.

I just hung up with Joe at castle. He's their resident boat guy. We talked for over a half hour. He's got some good news to let you guys in on. I think you guys will be very pleased and excited. He should be joining in the conversation shortly.

I just hung up with Joe at castle. He's their resident boat guy. We talked for over a half hour. He's got some good news to let you guys in on. I think you guys will be very pleased and excited. He should be joining in the conversation shortly.
    well, come on Joe can't wait to hear from you it's been a long time lol

Well I was busy at work when I posted the above and couldn't go into any details but I can give some now. They are planning two models. Both waterproof (yay!!!) and one I going to be around 160a and the other around 240a. He also said the technology and r&d that is going into these units should yield us a much better and longer lasting controller than what they previously offered. I'm excited and I can't wait. I bet for slot of you guys this will come as a big relief because now we won't be tied to having to use sub-par controllers with poor quality control or controllers that are extremely over priced and difficult to get. I think this will be a game changer and well welcomed to this section of the Rc hobby.

Thanks Travis for your persistence on helping the rest of us out. You were saying something about not having time again?? Lol

Well I was busy at work when I posted the above and couldn't go into any details but I can give some now. They are planning two models. Both waterproof (yay!!!) and one I going to be around 160a and the other around 240a. He also said the technology and r&d that is going into these units should yield us a much better and longer lasting controller than what they previously offered. I'm excited and I can't wait. I bet for slot of you guys this will come as a big relief because now we won't be tied to having to use sub-par controllers with poor quality control or controllers that are extremely over priced and difficult to get. I think this will be a game changer and well welcomed to this section of the Rc hobby.
    Awesome news thanks to Joe Ford at Castle

Awesome a 240 will be perfect for my rivercat

Thanks Travis for your persistence on helping the rest of us out. You were saying something about not having time again?? Lol
    Well I had some ideas on how to get some custom made units made and I wasn't going to have to do much work besides assembling them. I definitely don't have the time to machine a bunch of custom water cooled cases but I was looking at getting the ball rolling on something. That's why I called castle, I was trying to get a price and also see if they would seek me the completed boards without the cases. I was just going to buy a bunch of them and farm out the case making to another member here (boredom is me) and try to make this happen. That's also why I was gauging interest in it. I figured if I could make a few bucks per unit for my time and me and boredom supply you guys with quality units then it's a win win. I'm now relieved to know that castle is moving forward once again in the boat market and everyone will once again have the choice of buying a quality esc again. Now if they can keep the price point reasonable they will have themselves a market winner.

Did he give a timeline?

Did he give a timeline?
    Nothing set in stone but he did mention at least 6 months.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast