Thread: Storage charge

Default Storage charge

Ok I want to discharge some batteries for storage but I have an older Hyperion Duo that will not discharge. Anyone found any good products for discharging? Other than buying another charger which I really do not want to do.

Jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I use one of these to discharge and balance when all of my chargers are already full:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET33R5S...Voltage+Tester
    Home-built stuff can be built cheaper with 100W incandescent bulbs, but with this device you can set the cutoff voltage and it balances on it's way down too.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

How does that adapt to different balance connectors?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

I want to jump on this. I have a tp 820 which will discharge the batteries but it took 2 hrs for a discharge cycle on a 4s 6000 mah battery. I ended up setting up a brushed 20 turn motor with a 10x4.7 SF apc air prop. It pulls 16-20 amps wot depending on the charge of the battery so it drains them fairly quick without putting too much stress on the pack. This only works for my 2s cells though, 4s made the esc get upset fast. A smaller prop might have helped but it would have worsened my issue with the set up, which is it makes too much noise.

Are lights the best way to go? a steel rod in water? Looking to make something less noisy , i can monitor the voltage.

Is it really 150W? I have one very similar but a different colour, I have never tested the discharge current but assumed it would be well under 1A.

With the weight it is, the plastic case, and no cooling fan I would have thought it would melt in short order if it tried to dissipate 150w.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    How does that adapt to different balance connectors?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    if you look on the side of the unit there are different slots for the different balance connectors. If you have TP or Hyperion cells you will need an adapter for jst-??(the most common one)

That's the same thing I use, I mounted the bulbs in a piece of aluminum. I think it helps by not heating up the chargers doing discharges if I don't have to.

You can find it cheaper
    http://www.banggood.com/AOK-3-in-1-1...p-1051214.html
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Is it really 150W? I have one very similar but a different colour, I have never tested the discharge current but assumed it would be well under 1A.

With the weight it is, the plastic case, and no cooling fan I would have thought it would melt in short order if it tried to dissipate 150w.
    The discharging is done in the three 50W halogen bulbs, not internal resistor banks requiring ventilation fans.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks just ordered 2 of them to do what you have done nice setup

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    That's the same thing I use, I mounted the bulbs in a piece of aluminum. I think it helps by not heating up the chargers doing discharges if I don't have to.

You can find it cheaper
    Billy Graham

Pescador I assume the connectors are XH balance connectors? So have mostly XH connectors but one set of thunderpower so I need either 2s adaptor 's for the thunder powers and 2 s extensions for the XH. what brand are those boards you have?
    Billy Graham

Jim they are XH adapters, you will need the adapters for the Thunder Power packs. If you're going to use 2s extensions you wouldn't necessarily need the little adapter boards I have.
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

FYI, my board has a Deans battery connector that I needed to use an adapter on to connect to my EC5 packs.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Does this brand have a male or female deans plug on the adapter?
    Billy Graham

Mine came with a male Deans plug, and I used a female Deans to male EC5
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Brian would like to know what you used to hold the light sockets in with? I just got two of them and am going to build something similar to what you have

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post

You can find it cheaper
    Billy Graham

Jim I used some Sugru I had on hand, it's a mouldable silicone that hardens.
    https://sugru.com/about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16

Do the sockets get really hot also or is it just the bulbs?
    Billy Graham

Just the bulbs. The sockets are ceramic. Mine are screwed into a block of wood. No issues

Thanks
    Billy Graham

Here is what i came up with though I may trim it a bit.

Billy Graham

Nice job Jim, looks great.
    Namba District 16

Just cut it down a bit to make it smaller so all i need now are some balance extensions and the deans to EC5 converters I ordered from Hobbyking (should have ordered from progressive rc)
    Billy Graham