Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Michigan Cup

Just as a heads up, for those of you running SV-27 it was intended to be a stock class. We are easing up the previous restrictions. So stock motor (AQ 1800) stock ESC (AQ 45amp) and a 42 x 55 Grim racer prop. Everything else is fair game!!
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Anybody ready for this gig? I'm still building boats. Bonus! Baked 4 of them at Wed practice so those all got changed to more conservative setups.
    Noisy person

I think I'm ready, but I know things will go off the rail at some point !!

Took the cat out today for a tune up after going all crazy on the power plant, only to melt down a battery pack and melt the solder in the bullet connectors......so I have reverted back to old faithful for the races. Hopefully it's not going to look like my cat is a scale tug......

M spec LSH is ready as its going to get, currently missing a windshield but oh well and M spec hydro (rigger) is good to go again missing the windshield....there is a theme here.

Looking forward to it.

If we aren't ready we'll always think we should have been. Don's been busy cutting vinyl so our offshore boats are all legal. We will be checking the rest of the field!

BTW If we get a visit from the Pres., we should take five and make him run a few laps in a FE boat. If for no other reason so we can say we did.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    I think I'm ready, but I know things will go off the rail at some point !!
    BTW Jay I put you in M Spec when a spot opened. Just an FYI.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Thx Tom , M-spec sport hydro, can you make my boat go faster too ???

BTW If we get a visit from the Pres., we should take five and make him run a few laps in a FE boat. If for no other reason so we can say we did.[/QUOTE]

Trump might be coming ?
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Wed, Ty and I broke 4 cup boats. De-Soldered two, a motor, a speedo. All back together and retested Saturday morn.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Wed, Ty and I broke 4 cup boats. De-Soldered two, a motor, a speedo. All back together and retested Saturday morn.
    You're an animal!

I built a boat and sunk it. No happy ending.

Q sport puked a shaft in its first 100 ft.
    Noisy person

Hey guys. Who needs power? I know Ken needed a source. Most everyone else carries a genny. Trying to plan ahead for generators. I have a beastly thing at the house but getting that pig in the truck is a bear.

So who needs what?
    Noisy person

Don & I are good for power. Did you make arrangements for that pit side port o let? lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Jay and I are set.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

We're set too, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Don & I are good for power. Did you make arrangements for that pit side port o let? lol
    I plan to run over with a red solo cup every time you need it.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I plan to run over with a red solo cup every time you need it.
    That will be interesting. Getting stoked for this even under my present circumstances. Sondra thinks I've lost my mind,she's probably right,
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    That will be interesting. Getting stoked for this even under my present circumstances. Sondra thinks I've lost my mind,she's probably right,
    You are going to love the weather up here this year!!! Nice and cool..It has been great the last couple of days even with the rain..
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

Sorry guys..business just got in the way of toy boats...I'm out.

I did send you Mich Bozos some sponsor $$$$ for M Spec Mono and M Spec Offshore....want to support your event in some way.

Put on a great event as usual guys.....please post a pic of Smock and Davis slapping each other upside their heads as I won't be able to do it in person this year.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!

Hope were still doing T-Hydro my Scorpion overdrive is ready to go.
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Good luck guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Keeley View Post
    Good luck guys!
    Ditto.

Catch you another day.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Here are a few pictures from the event, I hope you're all enjoying the last day of racing today.

Again many thanks to Terry and Tom, and all the other club hosts that made the event run smooth, on time, and a barrel of fun to boot (what happened at the lake stays at the lake Don). Enjoyed meeting everyone, being welcomed and the wealth of knowledge that we left with. I really hope Mike and I get to come and play boats next year.

Thursday night into Friday morning, the rain was persistent, but it did not dampen spirits for long at all.
    Friday morning, rain did not stop us long.jpg

Soon everyone was underway, Bob, Tyler, Terry, Doug and myself on the stand.
    Drivers on the stand.jpg

Mike and Mike shared some memories from previous meetings.
    Mike and Mike.jpg

View in the evening over tent city and out to the glass like water, great set up/location for the event. Great hosts
    Glass like water.jpg

couple more shots

Doug, Don and Mike
    Smock.jpg

Team Davis
    Team Davis.jpg

Team Davis looks pretty organized.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Where to start.......

Anybody else feel like they're in a comma today? Like an RC hangover. I'm sure I'll remember more stuff after I recover. Here's some stuff that's still fresh in my noggin.....

First, what a great time. The MMEU gang pulled together and got it done. You can't imagine how much we appreciate the help tearing down. Those of you that didn't just cut and run.............THANK YOU!!! I would like to thank Tom Castellani in particular for all his hard work. I promise you all that he's the guy making it happen. I'm a chatty Cathy but Tom is the backbone of this club in my opinion. Thank you sir.

It was great to meet Lynn Rupley. Many of you know who she is. We should change her title from IMPBA secretary to Queen of RC. Maybe that's just me. She drug her husband along for the ride. Some of you may know him too. haha It was pretty slick to have the president and secretary stop by just to hang out for the day. Chris and Lynn have been extremely helpful in getting MMEU up to speed in IMPBA. The transition was smooth as butter and our gang didn't miss a single day of racing.

Doug Smock and Don Huff drove up from Atlanta. These guys are great racers and at least as entertaining as I am. Well......close. haha I think if they come back Don is going to get a Doug a muzzle for the drive. If you want to learn a thing or two about RC boats, have a conversation with Don. It will take some time but once you accept that it's not how fast you talk but what you actually say that matters you can learn a thing or two.

Mike and Paul from the Indy Admirals came out as you saw above. Sounded like that had fun. Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement. I frequently reflect on the path. Path might not be the right word. "Are we headed the right way? Do we continue on that path?" Sometimes I even wonder if it's all worth the effort. It's nice to have some object positive reinforcement form outside the normal circle. Guys we already know are super freaks aren't really objective.

It was nice to see Mike Ball on the Cup water again. Yer still the real deal Mike. Getting a chance to play boats and have you hall of fame pops there to pit for you is worth it's weight in gold in my opinion. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did seeing you together.

My kid is the real deal too. I don't think that's just false fatherly pride anymore. The kid scares the crap out of me with how close to the pins he's comfortable running.

Mike from ProMarine came out to play with us too. I think he might have been a little surprised by how fast this group really is. Some of our guys have really brought his boats to life. Those of you that thought there might be sparks between us.......oh grow up! haha We were perfect gentlemen. Well maybe not perfect. I doubt either of us has perfect covered. We do have similar driving habits too. There is no in between for either of us. It's either brilliant or buffoon. A phrase I stole from Howard. BTW The dirt bag from the left coast that likes to say he's "sponsored" by every company who's product he's run is in fact NOT sponsored by Promarine. Promarine doesn't "sponsor" any racers. He might toss a guy a part here or there but he doesn't carry anyone. My understanding at least. I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm way off. RC racing isn't some billion dollar market where guys race fer free on someone else's dime. Also my perception. Accept for Ty. He's racing on my dime. Little turd.

Hey, how about that last heat with the Wildthing mono in Q offshore? Holy crap! Larry's cat was nutty fast but I got him with a wood mono. So fun Larry. Thanks for the run. Made my weekend. Mike at ML, these are going to become very popular because d'ammmmmmm.

Rhonda is the bar manager for the Elks lodge. She was opening for us at 8:00am and going home after midnight. Holy crap again! 16+ hours a day. Friday night she had a plate of food that sat there untouched for at least 3 hours. I still feel guilty.

There are over 900 pics kicking around to get up somewhere. Some are boats. Some are of us tools. We even had a pair of drones recording one day. Not one but TWO! How freak'n cool is that? Todd probably mooned em when I wasn't looking. We'll get that footage sorted out too. Not the mooning of course.

I should be completely baked but I'm not. I'm inspired. I can't wait to get back to the boats. Think medication will help?

Guys....seriously......put this gig on your schedule for next year fellas. You wont be sorry. You may not be a race freak but after a weekend with this group of humans........you will be.

As I think of more stuff I'll come back and share.

Tom will likely post the results in the next few days.
    Noisy person

Thanks Terry.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Unfortunately Terry, although I thought about the slow drive by while working the retrieve boat, I was unable to work the mooning into the day.

Todd

It wasn't the mooning that scared us the year, it was the sight of the beached whale hanging on the side of the retrieve boat.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast