Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Michigan Cup

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    You are killing me! My favorite class of insanity...

Let's see what I can do.
    That class has gotten crazier Ray. Last Cup I raced Tom's boat instead of mine. I'm too slow with my Whip. How the hell did that happen?

Scrambling to get Ty's new Q sport and P sport done. We're actually having a lot of fun working together on them for a change. I don't know how much he's sponging up but he shocks me all the time with his ideas. Used to just drive me nuts but some of his ideas are dead on so I run with them. Usually starts with "Hey Dad........" and ends with some massive work load. Sunday he told me that if I ripped off some of the skin on the old led sled I could save it.......................dang it!
    Noisy person

ugggghhhh this is soooo killing me that I cant go!!!! Q-Sport my favorite friggin class!!!! UGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Tom

Race Events.com still shows "Q" Mono on Sunday instead of "Q" Offshore.

Same thing on the Signup page.

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 06-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Tom

Race Events.com still shows "Q" Mono on Sunday instead of "Q" Offshore.

Same thing on the Signup page.

Larry
    Try 1)refreshing your browser, 2) getting a new search engine, 3) be sober when looking at them!

The sign up on Sunday has been for Q Offshore for a while. Shows up as Q Offshore for me.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Today it does, yesterday it did not.

Larry

Less than 2 weeks before the Michigan Cup. The Michigan Cup is contested in addition to all other racing. As a reminder, to compete for the Cup you need a team of 3 racers each scoring points in three separate classes. All team members can run in any class but only the team member that selected that class will count points in that class for the Cup.

For example, Otto, Guido and Al are a team. All 3 sign up to run in P-Mono, Guido chooses this class for one of his Michigan Cup classes, Otto and Al can still run in this class but ONLY Guido's points count for his team towards the Michigan Cup even though Otto and / or Al scored higher in the class.

MichiganCup2.jpg

That's going to mess Ray up , Can you draw him a picture

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    Less than 2 weeks before the Michigan Cup. The Michigan Cup is contested in addition to all other racing. As a reminder, to compete for the Cup you need a team of 3 racers each scoring points in three separate classes. All team members can run in any class but only the team member that selected that class will count points in that class for the Cup.

For example, Otto, Guido and Al are a team. All 3 sign up to run in P-Mono, Guido chooses this class for one of his Michigan Cup classes, Otto and Al can still run in this class but ONLY Guido's points count for his team towards the Michigan Cup even though Otto and / or Al scored higher in the class.

MichiganCup2.jpg
    Do you get any extra points for a class with 12 boats, then a class with only 6 boats?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post

MichiganCup2.jpg
    Is Guido still looking for a 3 man team ?
    Hmm, me too....lol
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Do you get any extra points for a class with 12 boats, then a class with only 6 boats?

Larry
    No, that's the Newland high points nationals formula. We don't do that for the cup. I don't think it would help anyway.

What we've found is that it's a bugger for 3 dudes that know each other and race together to cover 9 different classes. 9 classes is a ton of variety to cover. To cover 9 classes it's almost a given that somebody has to cover some crazy tough classes and some class with less entries too. Tyler, Tom, and I will probably pick up spec sport, spec mono, and spec offshore for our team points. Those are some tough classes to stay upright for 4 rounds. Finishing is key to the Cup chase.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post
    Is Guido still looking for a 3 man team ?
    Hmm, me too....lol
    Is Fede running 3 classes? Add one more and you're in.
    Noisy person

By the way.........

An indication as to how tough it is to win the Michigan Cup...... I've been racing at this silly event for 15 or so years. Been involved in the logistic of it for maybe 12 year. I don't know. I've lost track. Last year with Tom and Tyler's help I was to get my name on the Cup. First time in those 15 years. Thanks guys.
    Noisy person

Will the off shore course be an M course, seeing as your going M-spec

No, since Mike isn't going to be here we decided to go with the figure 8 like we've talked about for a decade. hahaha No, just the same we always run. M with a hair pin on the south end. I wish we could run the pin off the front straight like we do for club races. You would need a weed razor on your boat for that at Shadow lake.

We have some new faces coming this year and there is still a remote chance that there might maybe possibly be a Huff/Smock sighting. I haven't started texting either of their wives yet but I am NOT above it. Don't make me do it you two. I have the digits. I hope they can make it. They're very nearly as entertaining as I am. Plus, I suspect Doug could use a gig where he isn't Ginny of the Lamp. POOF! Wadda you need? POOF Wadda you need? Something laid back with a gentle schedule.

Schedule is looking pretty good too. Tom's last test run on the numbers was around 45 heats a day I think. Even if it went 50 heats that's cake.
    Noisy person

The French Toast Mafia is looking for one more. We will be accepting applications up until the morning of the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

We have some new faces coming this year and there is still a remote chance that there might maybe possibly be a Huff/Smock sighting. I haven't started texting either of their wives yet but I am NOT above it. Don't make me do it you two. I have the digits. I hope they can make it. They're very nearly as entertaining as I am. Plus, I suspect Doug could use a gig where he isn't Ginny of the Lamp. POOF! Wadda you need? POOF Wadda you need? Something laid back with a gentle schedule.
    It is a shame that I have to travel to Mich. not have to work at a race. But if your club needed me, I'd be there for ya. What an idiot. LOL
    The near begging process will begin here in a few minutes. Walking a fine line since I just got back from Charleston. Wish me luck & keep the phone handy. Do you still have her number? lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Sure, but I only use it when you're out of town Doug.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    It is a shame that I have to travel to Mich. to not have to work at a race.
    I hear that. Tom and I call 99% of the heats for 7 races. One of which is a 3 day event so does that count as 10 races? Then when we do travel we try to be useful to the host club if we can. Takes nearly a year to heal up after the Cups. For weeks it's like......"nope, don't wanna"

We travel to your gig to get in some low stress racing in. Honestly, I would be content to sip kool aid in the shade at your event. People go to to NASCAR events an down no race cars. Why can't I do that with toy boat race? Atlanta is a great site with great racing to watch and great people in attendance. Mostly at least. You did get some sketchy travelers this year. You had at least one that falls outside of my 99% good people rule of thumb. I mean probation? really? Come on.....

The CanAm is a good time too. Only 3 hour run for us plus a border crossing. You never know how that will go. The race is super organized. I like that.
    Noisy person

Larry
    No, we will be counting straight points. So if you win a heat without any buoy cuts then your team gets 400 points.

Hey fellas,

Don "Amp Daddy" Huff and I will be pulling in sometime Thursday hopefully late morning / early afternoon. Any chance you can save us a spot for the trailer? Where we were two years ago would be fine if you can swing it. If not we'll try to understand. lol
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

We'll set you up in the parking lot.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Hey fellas,

Don "Amp Daddy" Huff and I will be pulling in sometime Thursday hopefully late morning / early afternoon. Any chance you can save us a spot for the trailer? Where we were two years ago would be fine if you can swing it. If not we'll try to understand. lol
    Well, there goes the neighborhood

Just looking at some of the numbers and our little race has unexpectedly ballooned! 29 racers and 187 entries! We now have a few classes that have 19 or 20 entrants. In order to keep racing "fun" for everyone and due to time constraints we will only be able to run 3 rounds. We were going to run 4 rounds when we were only going to have 9 to 10 heats per round. Now we are looking at upwards of 12 to 14 heats per round and 4 rounds puts us at 48 to 56 heats per round and that is too many. So 3 rounds it is.

Good move on the 3 rounds....that will certainly allow a more relaxed pace,
    with more social time afterwards and maybe even a lunch break

I just entered Q-Offshore thought I should run the Veracity that
    Nankin Hobbies gave me during my stolen boat crisis last summer.
    Thanks again Nankin Hobby

Btw.....I have an extra SuperVee Tuned up and ready to race
    if someone has a son, newbee, or even an experienced racer
    would like to race it they would be most welcomed to use it.
    Trying to increase the field to 5 to give Fede a better SV experience.

See everyone soon,
    Ken

I'll drive one if nobody else wants to Ken. It will do Fede some good to whip my a$$ too.

Hey all you T cat guys. How would you feel about allowing some mono to run with you? Looks like there are 4 currently. One is currently baked. We could add a pair to the mix without driving to a second flight. Gives Doug a chance tor run his behemoth.
    Noisy person

I'm good with T-cat/mono, Will my Q mono be ready........ Bahaha!! count down to good times, can't wait to see Todd's new man cub, I hear he's going to make an appearance .

Don't go through any trouble for me guys. I have enough to play with.

Looking forward to seeing everyone but Doby. LOL

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I'll drive one if nobody else wants to Ken. It will do Fede some good to whip my a$$ too.

Hey all you T cat guys. How would you feel about allowing some mono to run with you? Looks like there are 4 currently. One is currently baked. We could add a pair to the mix without driving to a second flight. Gives Doug a chance tor run his behemoth.
    Great Terry,
    The 2 SuperVees are already loaded in the trailer.

Btw....If Mono's can run in T-Cat,
    I will revive the Rico.....but like Doug said
    Np either way, I do have enough classes already.
    Thx :)

Back to the team Cup thing. Don't feel you all have to be from the same area, same club or even the same district.

One year (2015 I think) we had a couple tools from GA team up with one of our very own club members. They won the Cup too.

At the 2014 Cup when we hosted the nats I personally teamed up with two guys from Florida. I totally let them down but still fun.

So find someone that doesn't smell too bad and team with them. Heck, a complete stranger. It's a fun angle to race with. Different way of thinking too.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post
    Good move on the 3 rounds....that will certainly allow a more relaxed pace,
    with more social time afterwards and maybe even a lunch break
    See everyone soon,
    Ken
    Ditto on move to 3 Rounds!
    ~~~~~~~~`Mach 5 racing'~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ****2008/9 MMEU LSO, 2008 LSH CHAMP****
    ~~~~~~~70 MPH Club Member!~~~~~~~~~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast