Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2017 Michigan Cup

Don't be jealous that I am skinnier than you Larry.

Some memories of this years cup:

-The sight of our canopy village Friday morning, damaged after the heavy downpour Thursday night!

-How everyone pulled together and rebounded from the rain and how well the rest of Friday and Saturday went .

-My favorite quote: "Just want to know if I am bringing a knife to a gun fight!" - Mike Ball. Mike wanted to compare his P-Limited boats to some of our new M-Spec boats during testing.

Coming from Mike my first though was:

"the most advanced weapon in the world doesn't do you any good if someone is beating your brains out with a rock!"

Mike made podium with all 3 of his Spec classes . Sharp knives (well built and tested boats) and good aim (skillful driving) can easily beat guns. GREAT job Mike.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Where to start? Oh yeah, with this guy Thomas Castellani..

Dude!, you went over and beyond for us and I just want to thank you again for exceeding our expectations. "What do you need"? PVC Ts, a stick of EMT, some duct tape. POOF! "Here you go guys, no I don't want your money." And Tom, all our sets ups are running hot here. We really need some open water at the end of the day so we don't burn em down tomorrow. We don't want to be a PIYA but..... THANK YOU SIR! We really appreciate you and all of your effort! May you never be taken for granted.

Terry and the rest of the gang. Thanks guys! You know Don and I know first hand what it takes to pull these things off even with ideal circumstances. What separates the men from the boys is how you handle the hiccups. Hats off to you guys.

Any of you guys that have been on the fence about attending the Michigan Cup. You're missing out on some of the best people model boating has to offer, and the site is one of a kind.

Mike Ball..............

See you next year fellas!

Snock.............
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 06-26-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Another great Michigan Cup.
    So glad after this weekend that I did not fold up
    last year after the trailer & boat theft.

The whole MMEU club put on a wonderful race.
    Tom, Terry, Kevin, Tyler were the backbone behind
    the well controlled and very organized event.
    Great Job and thanks for putting up with all of us.
    As Terry said it is an event, socializing and meeting
    friends new and old are all part of the weekend.
    If you have not attended this still is the best venue
    in RC Boat racing.....and not to demean other races.

My family had a great time, Fede is slowly improving
    and had 3 heat wins all in different classes. I now certainly
    appreciate how difficult it is for Terry, and Mike Pags getting
    your own gear ready as well as having your Kids in top notch
    equipment and fostering their racing. I am worn out....

Congrats to Doug Smock, Don Huff, and Mike Ball on the Team
    Michigan Cup win

Our Team; Ken Brode, & Chris Flemming made
    a valiant effort but came up just 250 points short. Good work for a new team.
    In the Team events over the past 10 years I must have the record for almost and 2nd place finishes......
    Doug, I must admit I am getting pretty tired of this Sh----.

I need to thank Jason Sims and Greg Schweers for the equipment
    help. That LSH was an amazing ride. Thx.

Well, we are now sitting in Bellville, Canada waiting on another transmission
    repair. Hopefully they will complete it today so we can finish our vacation with my wife's family in Quebec City.

Thanks again,
    Lucky
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Tyler and I had that conversion about gear and boats just last night Ken. I've cobbled together 6 boats for him that I think are world class. All he has to do is drive them. I asked if he thought just maybe possibly I could build something sweet for me to race now. haha Think he got it. He's still a tool though.

Doug and I talked briefly about hosting events on Saturday night. The days required. The pace. What you need to offer class wise vs what you want to offer. I like to walk the line between "race" and "event". Love the racing but getting guys to want to be at the event is just as important to me. If I could put up a tent and have trapeze artists I'd do it. Anything to make it more of a spectacle. More of a destination. Is it better for the race purists? Nope. Good for the hobby? Debatable. Gets us together. I'll take it. Ever gone to a Gold Cup race? They have live bands at times. Food trucks of multiple types. What's that got to do with racing? Notta. So why do it? Spectacle. Entertainment. Grin factor. Someday I want to do fireworks again. That was hella cool.
    Noisy person

Tyler and I had that conversation about gear and boats just last night Ken. I've cobbled together 6 boats for him that I think are world class. All he has to do is drive them. I asked if he thought just maybe possibly I could build something sweet for me to race now. haha Think he got it. He's still a tool though.

Doug and I talked briefly about hosting events on Saturday night. The days required. The pace. What you need to offer class wise vs what you want to offer. I like to walk the line between "race" and "event". Love the racing but getting guys to want to be at the event is just as important to me. If I could put up a tent and have trapeze artists I'd do it. Anything to make it more of a spectacle. More of a destination. Is it better for the race purists? Nope. Good for the hobby? Debatable. Gets us together. I'll take it. Ever gone to a Gold Cup race? They have live bands at times. Food trucks of multiple types. What's that got to do with racing? Notta. So why do it? Spectacle. Entertainment. Grin factor. Someday I want to do fireworks again. That was hella cool.
    Noisy person

Here are some of the moments that I enjoyed most….
    1. Battling Ken Haines in Q-Sport. Never caught him, but I think I put some heat on!
    2. Watching the fireworks show in John’s tent, and then watching the show progress over to my tent!!
    3. Watching Ty’s Blue Streak Q Sport. He finished first in two heats and was in the lead on the third heat when the boat quit. I’m pretty sure he STILL has his finger on the throttle
    4. Learning how to suck on a cigar without lighting it……from Don Huff. I’m hooked!
    5. Longest game of billiards in history.
    6. The BBQ chicken!!!! Good stuff!!!!
    7. Avoiding ping-pong re-match with Kenny
    8. Watching the black pearl win 1st and 2nd in P-Sport! Congrats Kenny and Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haines View Post

Well, we are now sitting in Bellville, Canada waiting on another transmission
    repair. Hopefully they will complete it today so we can finish our vacation with my wife's family in Quebec City.

Thanks again,
    Lucky
    Are you driving a Ford or something? Just Kidding. Safe travels!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Caution: Does not play well with others!

Geeze, where to start… Tom, Terry, and the entire MMEU Crew put together ONE HECK of a race. They guided us thru a rough Friday morning to get things done at a decent hour. They kept everyone on a fun and steady pace all weekend long. The organized lunches for each day were FANTASTIC!

It was nice to be racing at The Cup again. Had it not been for Doug twisting my arm, I may have opted out again this year. Boy, I am glad he reached out. I am starting to feel like I am part of one big dysfunctional family between Smock and the Huffs!

I had a great time and REALLY enjoyed seeing/racing everyone. Although we were missing some “usual suspects”; it was really refreshing to see some new faces too. Mike, Paul, and Mike from the Indy Admirals club and we had some new blood from our own club racing.

Thanks for everything Guys!

Later,
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post

It was nice to be racing at The Cup again. Had it not been for Doug twisting my arm, I may have opted out again this year. Boy, I am glad he reached out. I am starting to feel like I am part of one big dysfunctional family between Smock and the Huffs!
    You know I got nothing but love for you brother, and I never dreamed I'd speak to you this way, but with all due respect you fit right in.

Really glad you decided to come! And having your dad there was the icing on the cake!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I cant believe I missed this one, UGGGH!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345