Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Black Pearl P Sport Hydro 2017

The Black Pearl is the next wood build. I have it all set up on a building board ready to skin. I am just waiting for plywood from Balsa USA. It is my fourth ever out of all wood Sport Hydros that I have built over the years. I feel that I am getting a lot of growth in knolage threw building wood sports. I am building one of every sport on the market for the experance and knolage from each designer. My Q whip has weakened a lot at the turnfin bolting location after two races and a good flip. There is a lot of patching that goes on with wood builds. Any way I still love the handling of all wood boats. I think a piece of aluminum sandwitched between the doubler for the turn fin would help a lot. I think ablut a 1/8 thick.
    IMG-3276.jpg
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Love building with wood. I'm going to try to do some tutorial videos this winter. I'd like to show guys that any idiot can do this. It aint rocket surgery.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This is worth the time. Especially at the front of the tub. Ahead of the batteries. Weak point on both a Pearl and an ML. It's where Ty's boat finally failed. Took multiple seasons but the belly finally broke free and puked it's innards. Some old timey nitro maz say it's unnecessary but a sport 20 sized hull travels about 7mph slower in a 2 lap trial and weighs quite a bit less.

Interesting tidbit. In a perfect world, a boat traveling 70mph through a turn (if it didn't slide and the fin held 100%) at 40 foot radius produces 3.83G. So your 9 pound boat hangs 34.47 pounds from your turn fin. If we just say the fin lets you slide.....40%?......ish (who knows) then your turn fin and rudder are still holding 20+ pounds through a turn. Maybe.........ish? Still guessing. Just a fun mental exercise. 75mph jumps the G's up to 4.39. I'm likely the only tool thinking about these things.

Obviously we apex slower than 70 but that deceleration zone going in to the turn creates some crazy forces and in odd directions if you think about it. They aren't exactly square to the structure of the boat. Would be a cool stress analysis in Creo or something. Imagine trying it in a car. 40 foot radius at 70 with yer face all smashed against the glass.

Glass the joints. It's one extra step, adds almost zero weight, costs next to nothing, and the boat will hold together longer.
    Your Tid bits are good reading and I learn a few things. How the hell did you mount the rudder and strut on the Lead Slead with that maybe 1/8" high transom? I had some ideas how to replicate it but never had the gut to do that to a Whip.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I just realized this is the older thread, from 5 years ago!
    I really believe wood is where it is at. Easy to build. Easy to fix. Sharp edges.
    My first wood boat was a Dumas Hotshot, but I had no idea what I was doing back then! (early 1980's I think)

I know this is an old thread but I have recently taken ownership of this one, I saw a photo of it at the start of the thread so I hope someone can tell me what version it is and any info on the motor and speed control would be good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415