Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The Black Pearl P Sport Hydro 2017

Looks good Larry!! Simple too!

That looks great Larry!!!!

Had some fun last weekend with 75mph set-ups! We didn't run side by side, so I made a split screen. Setups are very different, but we are very close in speed. Lot's of fun. My motor was cool to the touch, but I'm not sure it will be a good heat race set-up because of the ESC current draw and temps. We'll see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3QdasTj7eg

Ours was a bust. Too many amps and too much weight. Nice experiment though.
    Noisy person

Looks fast! What setup were you running to reach those speeds?

I'm running the Castle 240 ESC. Concerned about current draw for the yellow and blue setups though (see graph attached).

Green - 1515-1Y w/H5 (66mph)
    Red - TP4050 w/H5 (71mph)
    Yellow and Blue - TP4050 w/1814 (76mph)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg P.jpg (91.1 KB, 33 views)

Was that 4s? 6s? Which TP4050? It looks like there is a lot of kv options for that motor. Thanks!

haha Pete might not want to share the kv. It's a one of a kind.

The blue boat was running a 5650 2300kv. Also a one of a kind. It is NOT a good setup. Fast enough but it's just way too much weight for the footprint. The only up side to that setup was that you could likely run it right up/through/across a guys rooster tail with no risk of blowing it over. I think if we ever stuffed it though we might never see it again. Torpedo to the lake bed.
    Noisy person

No secrets here! The motor is a custom wind (Y) 2300KV. It's fast as snot, but I wouldn't recommend it just yet. I'm sticking with the 1515-1Y for heat racing until I'm comfortable with the current draw.....unless of course you can get ahold of an ESC that can handle it! :) Then, go for it! The hull seems to be stable at 75 judging by the videos above. Race water is a different story though. Anyone can stay upright in clean water.

That was about how we felt with the 5650 Pete. Like.....meh. It works but it's still a bad setup. Your setup was better but I get that it was tic toasty for your liking.

I'll throw that fat hog on 6s in the Wildthing and see if we can get near the SAW record.
    Noisy person

The motor was cool enough to hold my fingers on the end bell. It was the current that bothers me. With the 1814 (76mph), it was averaging 225amps w/spikes at 300amps! With the H5 (71mph), it was averaging in the 180's. Still a bit much, but a more realistic.

You might reach escape velocity if you run that 5650 on 6S! :) I'd like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    With the 1814 (76mph), it was averaging 225amps w/spikes at 300amps!
    That is a bunch. Maybe for 2 lap.

I ran a 4400kv on 4s in the Pursuit. FET's scattered like buckshot. Cat O' strophic failure.
    Noisy person

Hi guys. Just a brief update. Ran some additional testing last weekend w/2400KV motor and H5 prop. I think this is a more realistic set-up, but it still pulls some serious current (avg 200amps). The motor is cool, but the ESC was pushing 165deg after 6 laps. GPS was 71mph.

Oh....and here's the GPS from the previous runs in the videos above. Man, those were hot laps!!! Fun stuff!! Had multiple readings over 75mph, but this reading was the highest.

Going to be cutting more kits soon for winter builds.

Hey all BP2017 racers! I built a low-profile hatch cover for this hull bought from and built by Pete, and would love to build more for the other versions as well. Would there be any interest in these for the 2017 version? If there is I can mold this one and start working on the others as well.

Experienced BP2017 racers: Any thoughts on how this will perform aerodynamically?

Mike, I would be interested a new hatch for my BP P sport hydro, I have the big brother of your LSH.

Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 01-20-2022 at 08:44 PM.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Pete, is that the version I ripped in half or is it the version I'm building?

That canopy will make for a kick a$$ runner. My opinion only.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
    Mike, I would be interested a new hatch for my BP P sport hydro, I have the big brother of your LSH.
    So do I and that one is next on the list for sure so you got one Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yours was the opinion I was after thanks Terry!

Looks like one of mine. I've made some crazy looking canopies so maybe that's not such a good thing.

I truly believe that with this boat it matters where the slope of the cockpit lands. Opinions vary for sure and I've absolutely seen some "holy crap!" fast Pearls with the factory canopy.

I plan to make a fresh version for the new boat I'm working on. Head full of ideas with NO time.
    Noisy person

Pete, is that the version I ripped in half or is it the version I'm building?

It's the version you ripped in half, lol. It has a very aggressive profile. The profile is a lot tamer on the new boats.

I truly believe that with this boat it matters where the slope of the cockpit lands.
    I agree. I was very happy with performance last year as the boat really seemed to 'float' and was really resistant to blowing off. This may be due to the new "H-350" type cowl cockpit or possibly the new hull profile, but it's yet to be proven. One thing for sure, it was fun to drive and speeds were 70mph in oval trim. There's nothing like being right on the edge of blowing and having it keep recovering.

It's the version you ripped in half, lol. It has a very aggressive profile. The profile is a lot tamer on the new boats.
    Can describe the differences and which profile you are referring to in more detail please Pete?

Mike, with that profile and the canopy you've put on it you should be able to detect when it's trying to blow over and just set it back down. I thought it was near perfect but Pete just keeeeeeppps fiddling. haha The one I saw ran pretty well. I'm building a 95% right now.
    Noisy person

Thanks Terry!

I started sealing at this point. I glassed virtually every seam and corner. I still don’t know if this is absolutely necessary, but all of my boats are still in service, even after major collisions. I’d love to find a better way to do this, so please chime in! Some type of 'spray and done' would be nice!

I also added the turn fin mount. 1/4" aluminum.
    How many layers of glass do you use on most joints?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Just one strip of very thin glass and west systems in each joint (anywhere two pieces come together at 90deg) will considerably stiffen the hull. I use a fabric wheel and cut tiny strips, then dab a brush in epoxy, pick up the strip, and paint in place. It goes pretty quick.

Lightweight, thin glass is the key. It forms nicely into corners.

Excellent, thank you!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Lightweight, thin glass is the key. It forms nicely into corners.
    This is worth the time. Especially at the front of the tub. Ahead of the batteries. Weak point on both a Pearl and an ML. It's where Ty's boat finally failed. Took multiple seasons but the belly finally broke free and puked it's innards. Some old timey nitro maz say it's unnecessary but a sport 20 sized hull travels about 7mph slower in a 2 lap trial and weighs quite a bit less.

Interesting tidbit. In a perfect world, a boat traveling 70mph through a turn (if it didn't slide and the fin held 100%) at 40 foot radius produces 3.83G. So your 9 pound boat hangs 34.47 pounds from your turn fin. If we just say the fin lets you slide.....40%?......ish (who knows) then your turn fin and rudder are still holding 20+ pounds through a turn. Maybe.........ish? Still guessing. Just a fun mental exercise. 75mph jumps the G's up to 4.39. I'm likely the only tool thinking about these things.

Obviously we apex slower than 70 but that deceleration zone going in to the turn creates some crazy forces and in odd directions if you think about it. They aren't exactly square to the structure of the boat. Would be a cool stress analysis in Creo or something. Imagine trying it in a car. 40 foot radius at 70 with yer face all smashed against the glass.

Glass the joints. It's one extra step, adds almost zero weight, costs next to nothing, and the boat will hold together longer.
    Noisy person

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast