Thread: 27" Cat conversion to FE

Default 27" Cat conversion to FE

Just picked this beauty up. Mfg is unknown. 27" length with 4" rails. Hull was never drilled for flex shaft. Before my purchase, the Thunder Tiger outboard was removed as only the hull was desired. Was told this a Aeromarine Mean Machine. The canopy does not match my research. Could be wrong, would like to see proof

Plan is to remove the rails, clean it up. Speedmaster hardware is on the way. Since the Cincy club runs IMPBA Time Trials each year, this will be made into a N Cat.

Cat1.jpg

Cat2.jpg

Cat3.jpg

Cat4.jpg

Looks more like an aeromarine Jesse James hull. It’s 27 inches long? I didn’t know they made one that small, that boat is definitely screaming aeromarine though. Very cool boat, I look forward to progress pics on the build.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...s-cat-for-sale

Seems to be an Aeromarine 27" Jesse James. Thx.

Lost over 1lb taking dead wood out. Next will sand the center section and see about laying down a carbon fiber floor.

Cat05.jpg

Cat06.jpg

Cat07.jpg

Cat08.jpg

After cleaning up the center section, appears there was an inboard at one time. Stripped off the extra transom that was mounted on the inside and outside. There is a few holes to fill in. Ordered some 1mm carbon fiber sheets. They will be used to reenforce the transom.

Cat09.jpg

Cat10.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since this will run as a N class boat, only one batt will be used. Motor / mount is mockup. Motor will be swapped with a TP and thinking of changing out that mount. Not enough of an angle if not towards the front.

Cat11.jpg
    Cat12.jpg
    Cat13.jpg
    Cat14.jpg

Very nice

Thanks, it is my second conversion from nitro to FE. First was a Miss Vegas, do miss that boat.

Wondering, can anyone name this ESC?

What ESC? The one in the pictures appears to be a Castle Mamba X8S converted to water-cooled with a StumpFAB plate. Very stout ESC. I have boats that pull over 200A continuous and peak up to 360A on 4S and that ESC doesn't seem to care one bit.

That is the correct mfgr, but wrong ESC. What you see is the Sidewinder 8, torn down and the StumpFab plate added to it. Currently have 2 X8S's and 1 XLX2 converted on other boats.

Castles.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Scott; 01-09-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Ah. I guess I didn't look close enough. Although I thought something didn't sit right, and it was the number of cap's on it. I too have a slew of converted Castle's. 4x active X8S's and 1x active XLX2, with 4x more X8S's on the shelf, another XLX2 boat that should be running by next week, and a new XLX2 Hydra for yet another build.

1mm carbon fiber sheet added to the transom, in and out.

cat15.jpg

cat16.jpg

Parts arrived, time to get busy.

stuff.jpg

Setting up the hardware and looking for opinions on rudder location. Would like to keep it a pull vs push, just a preference. Steering rod will be piano wire. Closer to the prop or sponson?

cat17.jpg

5oz layer of carbon fiber laid on the center section. West System 205 used.

cat18.jpg

cat19.jpg

cat20.jpg