Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Pearl P Sport Hydro 2017

Pete, Charlie is a local yocal. We go way back.
    Noisy person

As for the cowl situation. I know a guy 😜

I found a place in AnnArbor. I'll be laser cutting wood and hopefully forming some cowls within the next two weeks. The vacuum former is not up to par with what I am used to, and I don't think the radii will be pulled down as sharp, but it's reasonable.

The BEST part about this hull is more battery capacity and larger size, but requires using YOUR top hatch and nose cone $ The Whiplash and UL1 have the same deck contour. It would be cool if yours had the same. Simply outline contour from plastic UL1 hatch/deck Keep up the good work.

Here's one UL1 hatch I cut smaller to use less tape. Hull is a modified larger Whiplash, but with less battery capacity as yours. Next build I will deepen for more capacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by detox; 01-22-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Sorry guys but I want no part of styrene or even ABS on a P boat. Been there done that. There are at leasst 3 cone of shame at the bottom of our pond just from me alone.
    Noisy person

Would be interesting to drain that pond and see what turns up! Or maybe not!

I know of a man .... well a half man who could not get out of the cockpit of his Mark"n Pack , he was bolted in from the hoop hole ! Even the great Todd Flurry couldn't save him on a free dive. R.I.P. ( I think the turtles got him)
    Cheers, Jay.

Jay, that's not our club pond. There's probably 2k worth of props alone in our club pond. There's a carbon pursuit down there too.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Sorry guys but I want no part of styrene or even ABS on a P boat. Been there done that. There are at leasst 3 cone of shame at the bottom of our pond just from me alone.
    Those hatches could be made out of composite to eliminate breakage.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Default the black pearl

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    how about hdpe ( high density polyethylene ) plastic? thats the stuff gas cans are made of. pretty indestructible and vacuum formable ( pretty sure )

Pretty sure that's injection molded.

I'm going glass.
    Noisy person

Just to be clear, Terry is talking about the nose cones falling off...... not breaking. The vacuum formed cowls and hatches are made of high impact styrene. Never seen one break. They are not as strong or cool as fiberglass, but they are considerably lighter.

Default the black pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Just to be clear, Terry is talking about the nose cones falling off...... not breaking. The vacuum formed cowls and hatches are made of high impact styrene. Never seen one break. They are not as strong or cool as fiberglass, but they are considerably lighter.
    thanks for clarifying that. how are those nose cones held on?

We've been taping them, but I just started putting floatation in them..duh!!! A guy on the west coast has a really nice dual magnet system. I may implement it in the next molds.

Well, on mine I ca'd the joint, then carbon fiber on the joint, then two part PU foam. Exploded.
    Noisy person

We've been taping them, but I just started putting floatation in them..duh!!! A guy on the west coast has a really nice dual magnet system. I may implement it in the next molds.
    The thicker Ul1 nose cone has always used floatation foam and dual magnet system. UL1 hull also has locator pad on hull to keep nose from falling off when hitting waves. Grimracer helped design...lots of R&D.

Speaking of Grimracer. Does he still post in this forum?

Haven't seen a post from Grim in ages.

The prototype for the UL was raced by our very own Mike Ball at the 2009 NATS. It was pretty competive back then.
    Noisy person

Some guys just stop posting because of other interests...I am one of them. Maybe Grimracer still works at Aquacraft ?

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Some guys just stop posting because of other interests...I am one of them. Maybe Grimracer still works at Aquacraft ?
    nope
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Good news. I have the new kits cut and the hatches formed. If you are on the waiting list, it won't be long now. Need to get all the parts organized and packed.

I put spacers on the bottom of the laser cutter grill (below the wood), therefore there are minimal burn marks on the back side. Wish I would have thought of that earlier. Also, using vector instead of raster for the graphics. Skulls turned out real nice. The vacuum pulls are very good, but not as good as the formech machine. That machine could really pull some tight radii.

Pete, are you pulling .040 or .060?
    Noisy person

0.060". I still can't believe you are exploding these! 0.040" is a bit on the thin side IMO.

Pete,
    I was wondering if you could tell us how much your kits costs, complete with the cowl. Also, do you supply any instructions, or just the build threads.
    Regards,
    Bob

Hi Bob. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Building the Black pearl, first one in Sweden!? Have used the 3x3 mm carbon fiber tube from HK: https: //hobbyking.com/en_us/carbon-fiber-square-tube-750x3mm.html
    Maybe overkill but equal in weight.
    Hope to be able to use a Lehner 2240 or 2250 with Kv of about 2500 with 4S. Esc will be a Swordfish 240Amp to begin with
    20180423_182107[1].jpg 20180423_182136[1].jpg

Great! Looks like the 3mm CF sticks fit in nicely. The slots are actually laser cut to ~3mm since the birch I use is metric (from Finland). When you use 1/8" wood sticks from the USA, they press-in snug.

Keep us posted! That's going to be a fast little boat! Most of us run 2200KV on 4S.

Great! Looks like the 3mm CF sticks fit in nicely. The slots are actually laser cut to ~3mm since the birch I use is metric (from Finland). When you use 1/8" wood sticks from the USA, they press-in snug.

Keep us posted! That's going to be a fast little boat! Most of us run 2200KV on 4S.
    This explains A LOT now... Holy crap, I thought I was losing my mind...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hi Pete,
    Sent you a PM
    Bob

We're still working on this but thee boats are ridiculous. This was very late in the day. The officials were pushing to get as many heats in as possible because the weather was going to tank by noon Sunday. This was the third prop change. Very little chance of me sharing this setup btw. It's not for the faint of heart.

https://youtu.be/mfFUOa-WRNM
    Noisy person

I was happy to see how the GSX338 responded when they both went down the back stretch. Pretty fast boats out there!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast