Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scale

So you consider the 56mm a soda can...LOL

Yes, I consider a 56mm a soda can.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Hey Doug...was running an cupped X450(3) and when I blew everything I was running a cut back X452(3).
    I had run the 452 one other time and it had really come back hot, but did pick up on some speed. Had Mark Shouland cut some diameter out to cut down the blade area. But it was just to much I guess.
    I made the right choice in Michigan. I'll take a second, third, or whatever over smoke any day. lol Some of the guys may remember I'm a "Stator friendly racer"

I agree on the soda cans Todd.
    I was a rent a driver in 60 scale before I ever ran a FE scale. It was the driving and gentlemen aspect of the class that got me hooked.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Well guess I'll stick with the slug 1527 motor. Don't really have any place to go.
    Let me make clear guys I am with ya on the gentlemen's class thought. I don't want anything that is going to be scary fast. Just competitive. I know this boat is at least 2 to 3 pounds heavier than your Squire Shop Doug and I've seen video and that is a fast boat along with being a beautiful piece of work. And I know even Todd's Peter&May is also a lot lighter than my Elam. Just a shame that I have all this work and money into it and really can't race it with the current power limitation. I love to build and run these scale boats...

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yeah, you need a 56mm motor.

TP works. I had an SSS 5684-1200kv motor in a heavy 40" mono on 6S2P. Ran great and cold. It was a setup to beat on. Almost wish I kept it but too damn big for me anymore. I could crank 57mm props without breaking a sweat. Shoulda kept the motor at least and put it in a Whip 40.
    Is that the motor i bought off you a few years ago?

Not sure why everyone refers to it as a gentleman's class...whenever they hit the water, its pedal to the metal....although we do usually shake hands before and after each heat. Other than that it business as normal.

Well guess I'll stick with the slug 1527 motor. Don't really have any place to go.
    Probably going to get pounded for saying this but it would be great if you guys did some real life testing in your club this year.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

HAHA...Doug Not going to do any pounding.....

You talking just experimenting with different set ups to gather some data for possible rule changes down the line?
    Could be possible!!.....

HAHA...Doug Not going to do any pounding.....

You talking just experimenting with different set ups to gather some data for possible rule changes down the line?
    Could be possible!!.....
    That didn't come from me. LOL Terry brought it up.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Well if it's just a gentleman's class lets not race them. Just put them in the same turn together and take cool pictures.

The purpose of the class? The intent was to race them. I know what the intent was when Ken and I proposed it.

The motor list didn't put scales on every IMPBA pond. It also didn't make FE boats comparable to nitro resulting in them being run together all over the place.

The lack of a motor list didn't put NAMBA scales on every pond. It also didn't result in 80 mph scales.

Both approaches failed to put take scale mainstream.

Gonna have to stew on this some. My hunch is that the lack of participation has nothing to do with the motors. It's all about the effort required to put one on the water. It aint fer everyone. The point is to put boats on the water. That's the "purpose".

Keeping the motor list keeps the cost up and actually eliminates some boats from competition entirely. Is that good for the class?

Another way to look at it too.......who cares? There are maybe 2 dozen of these from coast to coast. The only NAMBA regular heats are in MI and the only regular IMPBA heats are never. So why all the hand wringing over motors? "Oh, gotta keep the motors dinky for that scale appearance" Paul said the math should put us around 70. We're not there on the oval. More like mid to upper 50's.

Maybe FE scale should be under 10s and scale. Then we can stop pissing and moaning about motors. Someday I'm going to build an 8255 on 6s for spite.
    Noisy person

LOL Terry! Yes, let's stew on it some.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I agree that the boats are meant to race. But you have people like Thomas Schlarb that are boasting 70+ all day using a TP 56mm motor in his scale. We also don't race them like we race every other class. We are not running deck to deck with these things.

If MMEU agrees, I am willing to drop the motor requirement for scale this year as a trial run. I'll just drop in a 3060 in my T-4 and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Is that the motor i bought off you a few years ago?
    that was a 5694. I liked the 5684 a bit better.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Fleury View Post
    We also don't race them like we race every other class. We are not running deck to deck with these things.
    That was my experience racing the 60s.
    The guys have a little different mentality that some of the other classes. I'm the same way. I won't try to stick a scale (mine or someone else's) in a hole that I might with a mono etc. Way too much time and money to risk! And for what? A bowling trophy.

That's what gentleman's class means to me. Your results may vary.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Todd, why didn't you already? 3060 is a really good scale motor. Power to weight is good and the rotor is bigger so you get the needed torque. It would be perfect in the Peters boat.

Less Doug. Usually just a plate that says "1st place scale"
    Noisy person

Terry, I agree with you that the 3060 is a good scale motor, but the Peters & May has limited room. It is also already setup for my 2280, and do not want to have to redo the stuffing tube, sub hatch and other items.

I probably shouldn't post this, but...

Does removing the motor rule for 1/8 scale help the class? Meaning how long is the line for guys with 1/8 scale boats willing race but can't/won't because of a motor? I don't think the motor rule is the dam? In observing the FE 1/8 class in the recent past there are a lot of 1/8 scale rules that aren't being met, but are still allowed to race...

There is only 5-7 (seven is a stretch) that will actually be at the same race at the same time... communicate and make it work.... if your motor is out of spec, offer to prop down if your boat is THAT MUCH faster. It just seems this discussion is way more difficult given the number of participants in the IMPBA org.....

As they say.... flame suit on.

The more I think on it the more inclined I am to just let the class die.

There's no demand.
    Noisy person

Fun as heck to watch. If there was a RTR 1/10th scale I'd do that. I don't like all the fussy details :p Alan Nayman paint jobs or bust I say!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Fun as heck to watch. If there was a RTR 1/10th scale I'd do that. I don't like all the fussy details :p Alan Nayman paint jobs or bust I say!
    How much easier does it get?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    I've got molds for that boat in 1/8 scale.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    I've got molds for that boat in 1/8 scale.
    You would! Like you have to make more boats.

The 10th frames that Mike is cutting go together easy enough. Being scale though they still require a certain amount of finesse to finish. It's not for everyone either.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    The more I think on it the more inclined I am to just let the class die.

There's no demand.
    So 1/8th is officially dead....I'll burn my Executone then.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    So 1/8th is officially dead....I'll burn my Executone then.
    Well don't make it out like it's my decision. hahaha

There is no NAMBA scale anymore. Not for me at least.

We have guys who can't get their boats to perform due to the power to weight ratio. We have guys who can because they purpose built and stayed light. Those guys want the rule to remain intact. It works for them. Well sort of............ It works if your definition of working is not ever racing them because there are no heats.

Changing the rule sounds like a nightmare and frankly is above my pay grade. Those that are currently able to run their light boats on the current motor list would likely campaign against it. Although in truth.......if there are no heats maybe there is no opposition either. Hard to say.

Leaves me three options...............run and be lapped by something lighter, build a new boat, or don't run the class. The scale gene pool is pretty shallow already. If a few guys say "uncle". It wouldn't take much of a support hiccup for there to be no heats at all anywhere. Sorta like N mono. Seen an IMPBA heat of that in the last 10 years? Not many.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    Yeah but I want everything for nothing, lol... Has to be modern version. Those Vintage ones are fugly.

I do have a built wood round nose in that size range in the closet. Might be an Osbourne Kit. Might be light enough... If I'm running vintage it better be free, lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Needs a lot of TLC, lol...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yeah but I want everything for nothing, lol... Has to be modern version. Those Vintage ones are fugly.
    According to the master hull roster that boat is considered "modern".

Besides how can you call this fugly?!?!
    MyMissUS.jpg

Isn't it all about the racing??
    MissUS2png.jpg
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

We'll see... :)
    Nortavlag Bulc

That U2 boat is fast as hell too.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast