Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ***NEW*** - Pro Boat River Jet Boat - 23"

Ran this thing today. Definitely takes some getting used to especially since I decided to go 4S but what a blast. Heck, I think this thing does better donuts than both of my air boats.

With that being said, I was experiencing quite a bit of porpoising especially as I got near full throttle. My pond water is always a bit on the choppy side due to the pond fountain in it that runs all day.

To stop porpoising, is it best to adjust the nozzle up or down???
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    .4 is quite a bit off once they have recovered. You may find that under load they are falling pretty far off balance, more than just .4 of a volt, but let me know what you find out. We do all our testing with the batteries we recommend and we only experienced what you are describing with weak packs that fell off voltage under load.

Like I mentioned above, try and not power off the boat and get each cell's voltage. This will get me a better idea for what is happening with your ESC and your packs.
    Ok I believe I found the problem. The motor had some resistance when trying to turn it by hand and it had a clinging sound as it spun around. I noticed what appeared to be small square magnets right beside the Dynamite sticker of the motor hanging out past the gap where they shouldn't be and I touched it with my fingernail and it seemed to go back into place. Now no more clinging and ran smooth, so I went and tested it and it ran fine 31mph(WOW!!!) on 3s 3800mah for almost 8 minutes and then I bring it back in take the cover off and put in a 4s battery to try that and the I noticed the resistance was back in the motor so I noticed the square magnets or whatever they are had shifted again so I pop them back with my fingernail and try it again for a real speed run, LOL....but the boat would only go about 10mph from the start, so I bring it back in and motor spins free change to another battery and same thing 10mph so I believe I have a motor issue and not a ESC issue. I think the extra resistance from the motor yesterday was causing the ESC to go into overload protection and not LVC like I initially thought, so now I have a motor on the way from Horizon. Does anyone think my theory is right? I don't know a whole lot about brushless internals. I would bet anything this Boat will do 35 mph on glass water running 4s 40-50c batteries. I will find this out if I can ever get it to act right again. LOL

They chose it on their own, I had no idea. It was a humbling surprise.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    Ran this thing today. Definitely takes some getting used to especially since I decided to go 4S but what a blast. Heck, I think this thing does better donuts than both of my air boats.

With that being said, I was experiencing quite a bit of porpoising especially as I got near full throttle. My pond water is always a bit on the choppy side due to the pond fountain in it that runs all day.

To stop porpoising, is it best to adjust the nozzle up or down???
    LMAO on the donuts....I feel your pain....You can only go up on the jet discharge tube because it s all the way down from the factory. Raise it up and you will really spin out on high speed turns unless you are in high and heavy rapids ..Ask me how I know Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    LMAO on the donuts....I feel your pain....You can only go up on the jet discharge tube because it s all the way down from the factory. Raise it up and you will really spin out on high speed turns unless you are in high and heavy rapids ..Ask me how I know Lol...
    The donuts were a blast due to the shear volume of water that was getting kicked up and it was about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I'll get video the next time I do it.

I noticed the nozzle was tilted all the way down. I ran it in the stock position this morning, raised it a tad and tried that this evening. Maybe this is just the nature of jet boats at high speed.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

The nozzle is pointed all the way down to allow the boat to run as smooth as possible on open water, which is where I assumed most people would run. If running in a rough stream where you need to keep the bow out of the rapids and I'd advise adding some positive trim.
    Rafael Lopez

The nozzle is pointed all the way down to allow the boat to run as smooth as possible on open water, which is where I assumed most people would run. If running in a rough stream where you need to keep the bow out of the rapids and I'd advise adding some positive trim.
    Sounds good. I'll give it a try.

This is definitely a new experience for me. I'm normally used to air boats and standard prop boats but I love this.
    Current boats

[QUOTE=MADRCER;686094]Ok I believe I found the problem. The motor had some resistance when trying to turn it by hand and it had a clinging sound as it spun around. I noticed what appeared to be small square magnets right beside the Dynamite sticker of the motor hanging out past the gap where they shouldn't be and I touched it with my fingernail and it seemed to go back into place. Now no more clinging and ran smooth, so I went and tested it and it ran fine 31mph(WOW!!!) on 3s 3800mah for almost 8 minutes and then I bring it back in take the cover off and put in a 4s battery to try that and the I noticed the resistance was back in the motor so I noticed the square magnets or whatever they are had shifted again so I pop them back with my fingernail and try it again for a real speed run, LOL....but the boat would only go about 10mph from the start, so I bring it back in and motor spins free change to another battery and same thing 10mph so I believe I have a motor issue and not a ESC issue. I think the extra resistance from the motor yesterday was causing the ESC to go into overload protection and not LVC like I initially thought, so now I have a motor on the way from Horizon. Does anyone think my theory is right? I don't know a whole lot about brushless internals. I would bet anything this Boat will do 35 mph on glass water running 4s 40-50c batteries. I will find this out if I can ever get it to act right again. LOL

The magnets did come unglued in the bell of the motor if anyone is still in suspense on my issues. I glued them back in place but it looks like my coils suffered some slight damage as well. I did run two more packs through it after I re-glued them in with Baking soda and CA glue and it ran fine. The motor isn't perfect but I did eliminate the ESC being the issue with the (LVC). Hopefully this isn't going to be a wide spread issue. Anyways, I hope I helped someone if they have similar issues.

I found that I had 2 magnets loose in my motor as well. I took the motor apart and glued the magnets back in place with CA. I'm just wondering if I should trust this motor or try to request a new one from Horizon.
    Current boats

[QUOTE=DBJr;686180]I found that I had 2 magnets loose in my motor as well. I took the motor apart and glued the magnets back in place with CA. I'm just wondering if I should trust this motor or try to request a new one from Horizon.[/QUOTE

I told Horizon what my problem was and they are sending me a replacement. This is a lot of money for a boat of this size and if I were you I would request a replacement as well. I don't know if this motor is trustworthy or not. It looks like it was developed just for this boat a few weeks ago. This really concerns me...I was hoping it was just a fluke with mine. I question if this motor is capable of being revved out of water and causing it to potentially sling magnets. We have no choice to rev it and almost abuse it (so to speak) using the self righting technique.. Or maybe the motor is heating up to much and causing the CA to start to melt then causing this problem. Mine only felt warm every run. Let's see if Rafael has heard anything else about this.
    Last edited by MADRCER; 03-11-2017 at 01:13 AM.

I think that's what I'll do. If this motor decides to fling a magnet or two at 30,000+ RPM, that will be downright ugly. Not to mention I disassembled my pump assembly earlier to grease it and found signs of minor scratching on the inside of the pump housing. It appears the impeller was slightly rubbing on the pump housing. Thankfully I was able to clean up the edges of the impeller blades with my fingernail.
    Current boats

I think that's what I'll do. If this motor decides to fling a magnet or two at 30,000+ RPM, that will be downright ugly. Not to mention I disassembled my pump assembly earlier to grease it and found signs of minor scratching on the inside of the pump housing. It appears the impeller was slightly rubbing on the pump housing. Thankfully I was able to clean up the edges of the impeller blades with my fingernail.
    Did you experience power issues and then check the magnets or just notice them loose?

I just noticed they were loose. I then remembered your posts about your motor issues.

Heck I'm glad though. I really wanted to run the crap out of this thing this weekend but I might have just avoided a potential catastrophe. I'm not sure if you know this but the fact is that if a brushless motor blows up, it can and may very well take out the ESC with it.
    Current boats

Thanks for bringing up the issues with the motors. I'll discuss this with my team since we didn't see any like this during development.

Please don't risk glueing anything inside the motor back on. Call and request replacements. If need be have product support reach out to me via email.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys, but we'll make sure to make it right.
    Rafael Lopez

Thanks for bringing up the issues with the motors. I'll discuss this with my team since we didn't see any like this during development.

Please don't risk glueing anything inside the motor back on. Call and request replacements. If need be have product support reach out to me via email.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys, but we'll make sure to make it right.
    Thanks for your support as well! Please keep us posted on any findings.

I was chatting with Rafael over on RC Groups and he said you can use a suitable 3650 or 3660 size inrunner motor in the 2200kv-2600kv range and it will bolt onto the stock motor mount without modifications. I didn't think it was possible but since he designed this boat and knows it better than anybody, I believe him.

I was looking on OSE and Steve has a nice Leopard X2 3660 2380kv motor that looks like it would work just fine. Of course I plan to use the replacement stock motor that Horizon is sending me first but if that decides to throw magnets, then I'll try this.

Rafael, thank you so much for your support as well.
    Current boats

Good to know! I glued around all my magnets and so far 4 packs through it today with no more issues. Here is a self-righting test that I have had a few people asking me about if anyone is interested in knowing how it self rights on 4s vs 3s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-y4tsaLi-U&t=0s

For those of you with motors that had magnets come loose inside and are getting new motors from Horizon, can you please message me so I can send you call tags to get them back? we need to look in to this further.

Thanks.
    Rafael Lopez

Thinking about getting one. What I'm wondering is why the low Mah on the batteries? Why not a 4-5000 mah to increase run time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    Thinking about getting one. What I'm wondering is why the low Mah on the batteries? Why not a 4-5000 mah to increase run time ?
    5000mah Battery is too heavy for the boat. It already leans heavily to one side with a 4000mah 4s in it. 4,000mah does work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    5000mah Battery is too heavy for the boat. It already leans heavily to one side with a 4000mah 4s in it. 4,000mah does work fine though.
    I thought about using a 4S 4000mAh pack but was concerned about the weight so I decided to go with a 4S 3300mAh pack. It still leans to the battery side a bit but not too bad.
    Current boats

What would be the largest mah and c rating on a 3 cell would you all rocommend ?

Quote Originally Posted by Donny View Post
    What would be the largest mah and c rating on a 3 cell would you all rocommend ?
    I use 3s 3800mah Gens Ace 45c and it works well. My 4s pack is a 2200mah (for quick speed runs) or a 4000mah both are 30c. I think 4s is a bit too much IMHO, because I find myself turning the throttle rate down because it is very quick and nimble and causes it to be uncontrollable at times. The higher the c rating the better, but you don't need a 90c pack by no means) and don't put anything in it under a quality 30c pack for sure.

I thought about using a 4S 4000mAh pack but was concerned about the weight so I decided to go with a 4S 3300mAh pack. It still leans to the battery side a bit but not too bad.
    Yea, good move on your part. I run the 4s 2200mah more than the 4s 4,000... but both do work depending on where I'm running it 3300mah should be the optimum range of size and weight.

Has anyone experimented with using a 2S pack in the stock location and another 2S on the right side somewhere? I'd guess that would balance the boat better.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    Has anyone experimented with using a 2S pack in the stock location and another 2S on the right side somewhere? I'd guess that would balance the boat better.
    Unfortunately there is no room for another pack because you have the ESC and receiver on the other side. Not to mention the slot for the optional trim servo would get in the way and the ESC is not wired for 2 packs in series.
    Last edited by DBJr; 03-25-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Current boats

IMG_0614.jpg
    It happened 😀
    River Jet 🚤

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    that would pretty much kill the self righting ability, seeing how there are reported difficulties doing so on 3S
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Unfortunately there is no room for another pack because you have the ESC and receiver on the other side. Not to mention the slot for the optional trim servo would get in the way and the ESC is not wired for 2 packs in series.
    Yeah, I included moving the ESC and Rx as well as mounting a battery try under the admittedly unspecific "experimented with." Rewiring the ESC to accept packs in series is trivial.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

If you are running in open water the chances of flipping are less than any other boat because there is no protruding equipment to grab and force the boat over. I don't run self right in mine. I run a inrunner with s straight coupling and have yet to flip it **knock on wood. Its a much more predictable and better performing boat with no steering bias.

Now, If I were to go run in rough water, I wouldn't run without it. I'd have to be in rough water and have to watch my boat float away on its lid.
    Rafael Lopez

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast