Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ***NEW*** - Pro Boat River Jet Boat - 23"

Separated at birth?
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post

Separated at birth?
    The boats, yes. Me and drivers, no. But I'll take the compliment :D
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    Rafael, thanks for the detailed explanation. I understand now. The change in footprint makes sense.

I must point out that the "regular" steering on this jet boat is thrust vectoring. By adding the trim servo, you add another dimension to the thrust vectoring.

As I said, this boat looks pretty fun, and it opens up new opportunities to run. I'll be looking to get one of these in the spring/summer. I hope enough of these sell that ProBoat decides to offer a 30-inch version.
    I guess I should have explained it as multi axis thrust vectoring, but glad you got the idea
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    The boats, yes. Me and drivers, no. But I'll take the compliment :D
    If I had better photoshop skills, I'd slap a black helmet and goggles on you with an orange polo and the discussion would be over. I'm still laughing at the comparison. Too funny.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

fweasel, I'm glad I could bring a little joy into your life. Now we need someone with photoshopping skills.
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.

I saw on the product-announcement video at Horizon that Rafael said the boat doesn't have a reverse gate. Is this something that's required to operate in reverse on a jet boat? Does that mean there's no reverse on the River Jet?
    '09 Miata.

Yes it's probably like a jet ski reverse gate. On my Honda aquatrax there's a reverse lever when you pull it up there's a plastic scoop that comes down over the jet pump exit to direct the water from the pump downward which = reverse

Thanks. The product video shows the exhaust nozzle to be below the waterline, so is there a reason you can't run the motor in reverse to pump water backwards through the boat? It wouldn't be as efficient as running forwards, but I'm hoping it could still nudge the boat backward slowly. I can see why the reverse gate on the jet ski is cheaper and easier to make than a reverse gear, but electric motors run in reverse without any additional hardware.
    '09 Miata.

The motor will run in reverse as it is instrumental in the self right feature. The boat will move backwards if you operate reverse slowly, but you can not steer it. Adding a reverse gate with a servo to operate it would have raised the price of the boat and would have put us out of our target price range, and honestly it just would not have fit since the space accessible inside the hull is very tight as it is.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael,

Thanks for your reply. I understand a reverse gate would have caused a cost overrun. All I want is a little slow reversing in case the boat gets nosed into shore; I don't need speed or steering in reverse. (My son is only learning to drive RC cars and boats now). It sounds like this boat will do what I need.
    '09 Miata.

Well, even a pro will need to learn how to drive a jet boat if you have never driven one, RC or 1:1. Main thing to remember is no power, no steering. And you have to learn how to blip the throttle at the right time to get it to turn the way you want to. Like in my street run video, I was using full throttle to tightly spin it around. I used to had Yamaha SX230 and still had to learn how to drive this thing, lol.

Also, remember that the pump is very powerful. If the boat runs on shore, don't operate the throttle or it will suck up loose material if it's sitting on the ground, which can damage the pump's internals. Again, I learned that the hard way with my 1:1. Debris becomes shrapnel as it's being sucked through the pump, which can/will damage the stuffing tube support and the impeller.
    Rafael Lopez

Boat is now showing as in stock at Horizon. I just ordered mine.

I also grabbed a Glacier 4S 3300mAh 30C lipo to run in this. I've had excellent luck with Glacier packs so far.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

[QUOTE=Rafael_Lopez;685487]Well, even a pro will need to learn how to drive a jet boat if you have never driven one, RC or 1:1. Main thing to remember is no power, no steering. And you have to learn how to blip the throttle at the right time to get it to turn the way you want to. Like in my street run video, I was using full throttle to tightly spin it around. I used to had Yamaha SX230 and still had to learn how to drive this thing, lol.

Also, remember that the pump is very powerful. If the boat runs on shore, don't operate the throttle or it will suck up loose material if it's sitting on the ground, which can damage the pump's internals. Again, I learned that the hard way with my 1:1. Debris becomes shrapnel as it's being sucked through the pump, which can/will damage the stuffing tube support and the impeller.

Rafael,

Looks like you developed an AWESOME boat! What is the speed difference while using 3s vs 4s in this boat? Pro Boat claims 25mph....is this on 3s or 4s? I am assuming it will be around 6-8 minutes of runtime with 3200mah? Mine shipped yesterday and I can't wait to test it out! Thanks!

Madrcr, 25 mph is on 3s. 4s should get you closer to 30. Run time is 3-7 minutes depending on how heavy your trigger finger is.
    Rafael Lopez

I'm just curious, about how many amps does the system pull on 4S???

Something tells me the 90A ESC should be more than enough though.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    If I had better photoshop skills, I'd slap a black helmet and goggles on you with an orange polo and the discussion would be over. Too funny.
    couldn't swing the orange polo sorry

Yep, it's totally Little Rafael and his twin driving the River Jet.
    '09 Miata.

Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Hahahaha! That's awesome. Thanks guys.
    Rafael Lopez

Awesome lil Jet Boat Team ProBoat / Rafael! I'll have to swoop one up soon

20170307_164529.jpg20170307_164332.jpg20170307_164639.jpg
    Got mine today! It is bigger than my Barbwire XL and is barely smaller than my Impulse 31 V3! It should be a blast! Thanks Pro Boat!
    Last edited by MADRCER; 03-07-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Mine will be here tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

I got my 4S 3300mAh 30C lipo pack today and voltages checked out around 3.85 volts per cell so I'm all set.
    Current boats

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    20170307_164529.jpg20170307_164332.jpg20170307_164639.jpg
    Got mine today! It is bigger than my Barbwire XL and is barely smaller than my Impulse 31 V3! It should be a blast! Thanks ProBoat!
    Very nice!
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

I just couldn't resist I had to take it out for a spin. Below is the link to the crappy video I made while trying to driving it. This little guy is like a mouse on the river and is way different to drive than a prop and rudder boat as Rafael said...Figure 8's at will Lol. I put the speed meter in and got 27mph on 3s 3200mah. Please don't laugh at my bag and ziplock baggies I have my speed meter strapped in with, because this is the second one I have had to buy in the last two weeks and I am very cautious now Lol...my first one is in the bottom of the river because it fell out of my Impulse doing about 50 when the top came off. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOCE...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by MADRCER; 03-08-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Great video! Looks like you're having fun. Definitely a new learning curve with a jet boat for those of us who have only experienced prop boats before. One of my main goals was to make the boat carve the way it does without breaking traction or rolling over. It is a bit like a mouse, as you describe it, but it will get better once you get used to how little steering input it needs while on power. The acceleration is almost comical to me. Looks like someone sped up the video, lol.

I made and instructional video on how to service the drive shaft. You can also find it on the product page in the manuals and support tab.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jIP2y-IpE
    Rafael Lopez

Great video! Looks like you're having fun. Definitely a new learning curve with a jet boat for those of us who have only experienced prop boats before. One of my main goals was to make the boat carve the way it does without breaking traction or rolling over. It is a bit like a mouse, as you describe it, but it will get better once you get used to how little steering input it needs while on power. The acceleration is almost comical to me. Looks like someone sped up the video, lol.

I made and instructional video on how to service the drive shaft. You can also find it on the product page in the manuals and support tab.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jIP2y-IpE
    Good to know there is a video on the shaft servicing as well.

I have a problem with mine now.... It seems to go into low voltage cut off (limp mode) way to early. I ran it again today and it shuts down about 45 seconds into a run and runs half throttle. On glass water I did get 30mph running 3s before it shut down. Horizon tech had me make sure the cut off was on 4 beeps (for 3.2volt cell cut off) and it was, but still the same thing turns off 1 minute into the run under full throttle and the red light is flashing on the ESC. Do you think the ESC is bad? The are sending me out a replacement one tomorrow. Here is a video of it during the 30mph 3s run today, notice when it stalls out 45 min into the run. I have tried 3 different batteries and all the same thing. I turn the ESC off and back on again and it runs fine for a very short time then goes back into "limp mode". Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRl6oMMKNw&t=6s

Check your individual cell voltage when it goes in to limp mode. The ESC will shut down if there is a cell below the threshold. Don't power cycle the boat while checking since keeping a light load on the pack will maintain the low voltage on the cell that could be lower than the rest, possibly causing the issue. Once you disconnect or turn it off the cells tend to recuperate.

I doubt that you have 3 different batteries that are bad but we have to start off with what could be throwing it in to LVC. I found that some packs have cells that fall way out of voltage under load. Let me know how it goes.
    Rafael Lopez

Check your individual cell voltage when it goes in to limp mode. The ESC will shut down if there is a cell below the threshold. Don't power cycle the boat while checking since keeping a light load on the pack will maintain the low voltage on the cell that could be lower than the rest, possibly causing the issue. Once you disconnect or turn it off the cells tend to recuperate.

I doubt that you have 3 different batteries that are bad but we have to start off with what could be throwing it in to LVC. I found that some packs have cells that fall way out of voltage under load. Let me know how it goes.
    Thanks. I will try that tomorrow. I do know that when I put the batteries on my charger when I got finished running after having these issues they all were around 4 volts each on all packs.

.4 is quite a bit off once they have recovered. You may find that under load they are falling pretty far off balance, more than just .4 of a volt, but let me know what you find out. We do all our testing with the batteries we recommend and we only experienced what you are describing with weak packs that fell off voltage under load.

Like I mentioned above, try and not power off the boat and get each cell's voltage. This will get me a better idea for what is happening with your ESC and your packs.
    Rafael Lopez

Rafael's "street boating" video got posted at Big Squid today. Rafael, did you send that to them, or did they choose it on their own?
    '09 Miata.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast