Thread: This made me smile

Default This made me smile

Doing some light reading and stumbled across this little gem. Made me grin.

The IMPBA reserves the right to deny membership to any individual that has, at any time,
    demonstrated unsafe boating practices, been suspended, or banned from another boating
    organization for any amount of time, or for any reason.
    Noisy person

Another gem. Not sure why I'm sharing these. Just differences between NAMBA and IMPBA that caught my eye.

E. There shall be no backup boats at any event.

We run into this more than I ever thought we would. Guys break stuff and want to switch boats.
    Noisy person

The first one looks perfectly reasonable, it doesn't flat out block people without giving them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and change their bad habbits, yet gives you the right to turn away those that you don't believe have or believe won't change.

That second one is strange to me. I can kind of understand that it may discourage people from going wild on the course, driving all over the place and hitting people and wrecking boats willy nilly, but would it not be better just to give the race controller powers to penalise that bad driving specifically? If I was someone that was hit by a careless driver through no fault of my own, and was lucky enough to have a spare boat why shouldn't I be able to use it to continue my day of fun?

I race on a budget and generally only have 1 competitive boat for each class, but If I could afford 2 boats for the same class they wouldn't be the same hulls and maybe not the same power system either, I would have 1 for flat water and 1 for rough water, while they could function as backups they wouldn't be optimised for the same conditions. So does it cover all instances of multiple boats or just backups for broken ones? If I have a roughwater boat and a flatwater boat, could I bring both to the race and decide which to run when I see the water, or would I have to decide at home and only bring the one I thought would be the most appropriate in the average conditions of the day? If I can bring both and it is calm in the morning as it usually is, could I run the flatwater boat in the morning and switch to the roughwater boat in at lunch when the wind picks up?
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Paul, you could bring two boats and choose based on the water but once that choice is made you have to stay with it. You can't switch boats throughout the day based on weather, or you crashed it, or burned up the motor, etc. My understanding.

We've had guys at NAMBA events switch boats between heats because the rules don't prohibit it.
    Noisy person

It is not prohibited in Naviga either, as long as your second, third, fifth, tenth boats are complete enough to pass tech you can register them all, race a different one in every heat or the same one, it is up to you. You are still pitting your driving, setup, assembly, (and possibly building and design) skills against the competitions skills. I don't really see what is to be gained from prohibiting it.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    We've had guys at NAMBA events switch boats between heats because the rules don't prohibit it.
    I never new you could do this.
    So in "P" Offshore - in the morning I could run my "P" Twin Cat, then change over to my "P" Mono for the rougher water in the afternoon,

This would be pure BS

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Damn, I have been using Duct tape to hold it together and all I had to do was switch boats (in NAMBA). My duct taped Lucas Oil runs like a champ though..
    JOHN A. GROSS
    MILLBROOK, AL
    Crickety Crack Racing Team

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    The first one looks perfectly reasonable, it doesn't flat out block people without giving them the opportunity to learn from their mistakes and change their bad habbits, yet gives you the right to turn away those that you don't believe have or believe won't change.
    Absolutely.
    Unfortunately there is a need for a rule like this to protect organizations from individuals that don't stay told . There is enough liability in this hobby when we do the right thing right.

I wasn't around when the "backup boat" rule was implemented, but I bet there is a story or two to go with it.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

...We've had guys at NAMBA events switch boats between heats because the rules don't prohibit it.
    This is not accurate. NAMBA Section 16.C.1 states::

"Contestants in all NAMBA competitions will be limited to one boat per type/class in each event or competition."

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by rightturnonly View Post
    Damn, I have been using Duct tape to hold it together and all I had to do was switch boats (in NAMBA). My duct taped Lucas Oil runs like a champ though..
    I have seen some gas & nitro boats patched up that you'd swear wouldn't make it through a heat. It's amazing what you can do with a little foil & duct tape.
    What's really cool is to see how many racers gather around to see what they can do to help get a guy back in the water!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    This is not accurate. NAMBA Section 16.C.1 states::

"Contestants in all NAMBA competitions will be limited to one boat per type/class in each event or competition."

Actually this rule has been interpreted that you can't have more than one boat in a class at the same time. So even though I have 2 P-monos, I cannot enter them both and run them both in all the rounds of the event. If I start an event running a Pursuit setup for P-mono there is nothing to stop me from running my Delta Force 33 in heat 2 and 3 INSTEAD of the Pursuit. It's still only one boat but it's a different one.

Not agreeing or disagreeing just this is what I've heard.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Cool

Actually this rule has been interpreted that you can't have more than one boat in a class at the same time...
    This interpretation is pretty funny. Does it mean you can't drive two boats at the same time? The rule does not say "limited to one entry" it says "limited to one boat". Seems pretty clear that "one boat per class" means that the driver can't run different boats in the same class.

But my interpretation means little (unless asked in my role as D-7 FE Director). As with many rules, the bottom line is what the local CD decides. He/she clearly has the above rule to support not allowing a racer to change hulls mid-race. IMO any NAMBA CD who allows someone to change boats in the middle of a race is not doing his club - or the event - good service.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Jay, I have always thought the same thing. We had the "precedence" thing sighted from a prior nationals used. Someone CD at some nationals interpreted it as you can only enter a class one time. The racer isn't running multiple boats in multiple heats so it's okay. Theory being that you could run blocker in other heats to screw up the results etc if you had two boats in a class. I've always felt that interpretation was wrong and that your take on it is the right one. It's one of those grey area things that you could interpret either way.

Because some don't agree, we've allowed the other racers in a class to decide if a switch was acceptable and only after some catastrophic failure of the first boat. No change on a whim for wind conditions or what ever. In hind sight.......we never should have done that. It puts the other racers on the spot. If I'm the CD, being the bad guy comes with the gig sometimes. I blew it.

Now I don't have to worry about it since the IMPBA rule is a bit more clear as to what was intended. No back up boats, done.
    Noisy person

IMPBA Rocks!!!!!

OK, it looks (to me) like it is a rule for both organisations, and several well respected boaters support it.
    Help me out here, I still don't see a reason for it, why is it there?

Why did it make you chuckle originally Terry?

Paul, the first one made me grin because I know someone that it applies to. He's become my Voldemort of racing. "He who must not be named."

The second didn't exactly make me chuckle. Only caught my eye. I suppose that's because I remembered having it explained to me how I was wrong. That in fact they could swap boats because this guy/that guy/the other guy said so at some race in the past.

I've just been studying the differences between NAMBA and IMPBA as our gang will be IMPBA this season. There once was a time that I could cite section and verse from the NAMBA book. Whitt used to say he didn't need to carry a rule book with him because he had me. I'd like to be as prepared as I can for 2017.

A lot LOT of the rules are the same. The IMPBA version is less vague in many regards though. Some would say that it's too restrictive in some areas and not enough in others.

The on course calls are different:
    The 50 point buoy cut for instance as opposed to a 1 lap penalty. Easier on equipment but is it punitive enough to discourage it? I'm not sure.
    You also only receive 50 points in IMPBA if you are taken out by another racer that is subsequently disqualified where as with NAMBA you receive 4th place points when someone is DQ'd for taking you out.
    No 5 pin turns in the IMPBA rule book that I could find.

I'm still learning.
    Noisy person

Hey Terry,

Three or five buoy turns in the IMPBA. The five buoy turn course is optional. (And a better course IMO)

"The optional Radius Buoys will be added to the 1/3-mile oval course only. The Radius buoys
    shall carry no number identification. The Radius buoys will be placed in between buoys 1&2, 2&3,
    4&5, and 5&6."

If you cut the whole end of a three buoy turn, cut three buoys on a five buoy turn, or cut an offshore buoy, you are rewarded with a lap penalty.
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 01-12-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

But..
    I'll..
    Let....
    Leverage...

Overcome where nothing but....
    X that marks the spot.....
    In other words...
    Don't try to.....
    Ever....
    Answer...
    Nothing....

But I could be wrong.......

IMPBA numbers the buoy and calls each one a turn. That's different two...to.....too....also.....as in..... along with.
    Noisy person

I watched John and Andy Brown rebuild a boat that was cut clean in half at an Internats in Huntsville several years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    But..
    I'll..
    Let....
    Leverage...

Overcome where nothing but....
    X that marks the spot.....
    In other words...
    Don't try to.....
    Ever....
    Answer...
    Nothing....

But I could be wrong.......

Doby you are all over it, as usual!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Doing some light reading and stumbled across this little gem. Made me grin.

The IMPBA reserves the right to deny membership to any individual that has, at any time,
    demonstrated unsafe boating practices, been suspended, or banned from another boating
    organization for any amount of time, or for any reason.
    To the best of my knowledge I've never been banned from any club that I have belonged to or not.

Q: Does a club have to notify a person they are banned or can they just spring it on someone at any time say after attempting to sign up for a race sanctioned by IMPBA?
    Nortavlag Bulc

And as for rules, sorry if it's been answered but, is a 26.5" hydroplane not allowed in P-Limited class? I wanted to try the ML265 in it but, things changed recently. I'm still going to finish building it, just don't want to rely on it.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    To the best of my knowledge I've never been banned from any club that I have belonged to or not.

Q: Does a club have to notify a person they are banned or can they just spring it on someone at any time say after attempting to sign up for a race sanctioned by IMPBA?
    It's not a club thing. It's an IMPBA thing. What would happen is you wouldn't be able to renew your membership.

Unsafe boating practices or maybe getting suspended multiple times from other organizations. You can also be banned for having protests upheld against you 3 times for equipment violations. Takes some pretty blatant abuse to receive this status Ray. Pretty sure you're safe.

I only know of one electric guy ever that fit into this category.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    And as for rules, sorry if it's been answered but, is a 26.5" hydroplane not allowed in P-Limited class? I wanted to try the ML265 in it but, things changed recently. I'm still going to finish building it, just don't want to rely on it.
    Works for us but IMPBA has no limited rules to reference.

I have one of those too. Pretty darned small for limited.
    Noisy person

Larry has a mini whip 27" that chouces nice. I'm just playing since N2 is dead... The way I can build it, it can handle the traffic.

I still have the PTSS setup. Like yours/Ty's, it needs a tear down and repaint (less paint this time, lol)

Thank you.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yeah, I gutted ours and rebuilt it. Filled all the gaping cracks.
    20170118_202947.jpg

Has a windshield and such now.
    Noisy person

Until I zoomed the Picture up, I said, powder blue, Ahem! Manly colors only please and then I saw the Miss OSE. Thats slick!

You paint or someone else??

The pin holes are a nightmare to fill. This hull and the Whip cowls are nasty. I've tried Spackle compound, Byron Jets pin hole filler... I'm useless! lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

haha That's Aztec Blue. Tyler picked it to go with Steve's logo. If you look close at his stickers that color is in there.
    Noisy person