Thread: Mini Rio with brushless outrunner

Default Mini Rio with brushless outrunner

My RIO will be here by the weekend I plan on upgrading to brushless. I've seen pics of inrunner upgrades has anyone done an outrunner yet? If so pics please. If not stay tuned I will have some shortly.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

gee lot of help here

no love for the mini rios?
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

My rio arrived today, I will run it as is this weekend.
    It has the VR3 motor and stock electronics otherwise.
    I will be running it on 3s.
    After the weekend it will be treated to a brushless upgrade with 30a esc.

I havent tried a outrunner, but after burning up the stock motor on 3s, I will be going to one of the small Feigao 380 motors.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Steven, how many runs did the stock motor take? and is was the stock esc able to take it, or did that fry too? I'm hoping it last for about 4-6 runs tomorrow and maybe a couple today. Thanks for your input.

The small team orion captain esc works like a dream. I picked up diegoboy's mini rio with this esc and an ammo ?/kv. Speed control and motor are barely warm after a run on 3s 1500mah. The rio is running consistant 30-32mph.
    * BBY Lift Master RIgger * Insane Gen 2 Cat * Aeromarine Avenger Pro Twin * Delta Force Cyber Storm * Delta Force 41" Mono * H&M Viper II * H&M Intruder * OSE Raider Hydro * Whiplash 20 * Brushless Mini Rio *

Well as expected my rio was killed by 3s power. (the 3s run lasted 1.5 laps until smoke)
    Now it is time to upgrade to brushless power.
    I will post the info here as it happens.

tth, thanks for your input that sound like a sweet rio.

that sucks! what burnt? the motor or ESC? did you use a smaller prop? or just up the voltage?

Glad I saw this post, I have 3S on the way and will wait now for the outrunner I have coming for it.

How would you keep an outrunner cool in a boat?

water cooled motor mount and or a fan are a couple ways.

any vids tth?