Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ML BOAT WORKS GSX310 or GP 310

Default TP Power changing 3630 can sizes

Received an interesting call from Jean at TP power tonight in regards to the 3630 1950Kv motor I ordered. Actually it was really great that they called to verify the order. In any case...the new can size for the 3630 is now 65mm in length which does not fit the IMPBA rules of not to exceed 62mm. The original can size was 61mm. Jean said she had other guys that had ordered the motor and found out later that it doesn't fit the rule. Thus why she called me. So what she is doing is forwarding the order to TP for the 61mm motor, which for now she said they can do.

Not sure how long they will be able to do that, but I indicated to Jean that they may want to make both size cans. (V2 / V3) Otherwise they will be chopping out sales on 3630 boat applications because they meet the IMPBA racing rules. She was going to pass that on.

May have to look at testing the Leopard motor out too....

Got some building done this past weekend....

Received some of the hardware on Friday afternoon.....So got the strut and rudder mounted along with water fittings. Then finished up the bottom sponson skins and cut some foam blocks to go into the sponsons.
    Pre-fitted the servo mount where I would like to mount it.

Next is to use some light glass cloth and epoxy coat the inside of the sponsons. As soon as I can get the turn fin I'll make the back plate and get it mounted and then the deck skins can be completed. Other then that waiting for the motor and ESC so I can find the COG and get everything mounted and drive line installed. Seal the exterior and get it ready for paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike,
    Those are MMEU rules you are referring to right?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hey Doug....Are you talking about the 1/8 scale motor rules we were talking about over in the other thread?

Oh I see what your asking.....LOL Got lost there for a second....LOL
    My understanding was that the motor rules for the P-limited class for MMEU is set by the IMPBA "M Spec" rules:
    Motor not to exceed 37mm X 62mm any Kv.

Correct me if I'm wrong...thought this was what the club adopted from IMPBA. Did I misunderstand?
    Last edited by Speed810; 01-16-2017 at 10:31 PM.

No sir. "the new can size for the 3630 is now 65mm in length which does not fit the IMPBA rules of not to exceed 62mm".

That's the MMEU Spec. isn't it?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Doug....

I really hadn't had a chance to research this on the IMPBA site until now....
    Looks like maybe the club made an "M-spec" class that is designed to give us a better variety of motors for the limited classes.
    Could not find any reference in IMPBA rules on "M-spec" motor rules......

My bad....I guess I misunderstood the meeting minutes that came out when we made the change to IMPBA. I thought this was something the club adopted through IMPBA....Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    No sir. "the new can size for the 3630 is now 65mm in length which does not fit the IMPBA rules of not to exceed 62mm".

That's the MMEU Spec. isn't it?

No worries Mike!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    No worries Mike!

Oh Doug....After looking through the posts I wanted to clarify that in my first post on the new TP 3630's ....Your right they are 65mm in length now. That's what I was reporting here when I talked with TP USA. So they are ordering me a 3630 with the old can length (62mm) so it fits IMPBA rules. Hope I got that right......LOL

Default Ready for prime and paint

Finished up my new GSX310 last week.....2 coats of thinned down west system went on great and completed the final sanding. Just waiting on a bit of warmer weather to start the prime and paint. Putting in my order for 2 - 2S 6500Mah batteries from Mojo Racing.... Going to mount a light ply sheet up front so I can mount the batteries cross wise and have plenty of room for the Raider ESC up front of the main bulkhead. I did a lot of weight and balance work before mounting the motor so I hope to have some flexibility in battery packs.

Haven't picked a color yet....wife is helping me out with that...LOL

Looks good! I haven't even got started on mine yet. I can't wait to see the paint.

Nice work!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Finished up my new GSX310 last week.....2 coats of thinned down west system went on great and completed the final sanding. Just waiting on a bit of warmer weather to start the prime and paint. Putting in my order for 2 - 2S 6500Mah batteries from Mojo Racing.... Going to mount a light ply sheet up front so I can mount the batteries cross wise and have plenty of room for the Raider ESC up front of the main bulkhead. I did a lot of weight and balance work before mounting the motor so I hope to have some flexibility in battery packs.

Haven't picked a color yet....wife is helping me out with that...LOL
    MAN, don't let her pick the color she might go with pink lol. what do you use to thin the west systems with ?

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    MAN, don't let her pick the color she might go with pink lol. what do you use to thin the west systems with ?
    Eugene I have always used denatured alcohol with mine. I have heard of folks using acetone also, I think the denatured alcohol actually mixes at bit better and it doesn't evaporate out as quickly as acetone. Your drying and curing times maybe be a bit longer using the denatured alcohol, but it will cure up very nicely. I use the west system 105 and 206 slow hardener.

I have also found that after a 24hr period I will sand with a 120 grit to get the initial top coating or shine off. then let it sit over night. This really seems to help the epoxy breath and cure fully. If you start trying to sand to early without a full cure it will start to ball up and cause more problems.

And I already told the wife No Pink or Lavender colors.....LOL

Yes, denatured alcohol is best. Wish I could get it in Canada. I have to use Xylene?
    Nortavlag Bulc

There is actually a product from System Three Epoxy that is extremely thin. It is called Rot Fix.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Nice to know, thanks!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Very nice build, Speed.
    I also use an epoxy wood preserver for the initial sealing of the wood. The first coat soaks into the wood like water. Much easier to sand than resins too.
    But I have to ask. What's wrong with pink.

They sell rot fix up here for $53Cdn 24oz kit.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    There is actually a product from System Three Epoxy that is extremely thin. It is called Rot Fix.

Thanks the heads up Jim....I'll have to look into that. Is it an epoxy type of material?

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Very nice build, Speed.
    I also use an epoxy wood preserver for the initial sealing of the wood. The first coat soaks into the wood like water. Much easier to sand than resins too.
    But I have to ask. What's wrong with pink.
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Paul, I thought about some of your boats painted in pink when I said that and I knew I was going to hear from ya!!!! To funny!!
    BTW.....really nothing wrong with pink....:) They look Great!

So what is the sealer your actually using? Maybe I can find it over here or something close. How many coats to you end up using?

Later buddy

Mike

Thanks the heads up Jim....I'll have to look into that. Is it an epoxy type of material?
    Yes it is a thinner epoxy

Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    Yes it is a thinner epoxy

Hey Jim....Looked at this Rot Fix. Looks like a great product. Couple of questions: How many coats are you putting on and how much product are you usually going through on a lets say 33" boat. Just curious as to how much product to buy for a standard project. Seems like if it is that thin it should go a long way.

Also....have you seen any problem with primers adhering to the finish?

Thanks a lot..
    Mike

HAHAHAHA!!!! Paul, I thought about some of your boats painted in pink when I said that and I knew I was going to hear from ya!!!! To funny!!
    BTW.....really nothing wrong with pink....:) They look Great!

So what is the sealer your actually using? Maybe I can find it over here or something close. How many coats to you end up using?

Later buddy

Mike
    That gave me a good laugh too. Love it.

Not sure on the actual brand. I get it in unmarked jars from a fellow boater. I'll try & find out from him.
    I usually give it 3 coats. Sanding in between.
    The first coat I even thin down a bit more with some Methylated Spirits. I think you guys call it Denatured Alcohol over there. Really gets into the wood instead of just being a layer on top.
    I've never had any trouble with primers adhering to it.

Hey Jim....Looked at this Rot Fix. Looks like a great product. Couple of questions: How many coats are you putting on and how much product are you usually going through on a lets say 33" boat. Just curious as to how much product to buy for a standard project. Seems like if it is that thin it should go a long way.

Also....have you seen any problem with primers adhering to the finish?

Thanks a lot..
    Mike
    I have not built a boat since finding it.

Billy Graham

Default 310 Pictures

You know I got so busy last spring getting ready for Atlanta that I completely forgot to post pictures of the finished boat. MY BAD!

I hate it when a thread is going and then all of sudden it just drops off the face of the earth.

So apologize for leaving it in this state. But the boat did turn out great looking. Still have some work to do to make it competitive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12