Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ML BOAT WORKS GSX310 or GP 310

Default ML BOAT WORKS GSX310 or GP 310

Well thought I would see if some of you folks might have some experience and/or ideas on P-Limited boats. I am going to build a P-Limited boat this winter so I have another club class that I can run this 2017 season. I have built 3 different ML Boat Works kits from Mike and they have always been top notch kits that fit very precise and the wood is superior.

So my thoughts were either the GP 310 or the GSX 310. I love how the new GSX series go together. But I also know the GP 310 has also been proved as a good winner this year. Congrats to Doug! So has anyone else had some experience with either of these hulls in the P-Limited Class? Talked to Mike for a bit on this and his take on it is there really is not a whole lot of difference in the hulls except that the air bleeds run all the way through the length of the sponson's on the GSX 310.

Our club also just changed this year to IMPBA which puts us under some different rules for motors and expanding the choices a bit. My thought at this point was to build the GSX 310 with a TP 3630, 1950Kv on 4S. Nice thing with the GSX series is the room it has up front for batteries. So I can experiment with different Mah batteries and weight distribution.

I think the biggest thing for me personally is to concentrate on building a solid hull, but light. I have a tendency to over do it. I know the Pearl I built last year was a solid boat, but really tried to get it lighter. It was actually quite competitive this year with a good overall second place record. Will be experimenting with some props this spring. Watch out MMEU...LOL

Please feel free to comment on boats and power packages....trying to get something ordered by next week.

Thanks guys....

Have a great Holiday!

Mike

No Ideas out there at all.....WOW That's not like you guys!!!...LOL

gsx series--great--hulls for racing!

I have a GP310 and love it.
    I don't think you could go wrong with either one honestly.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I've never seen the bottom on a GSX in that size. I'll try to get Mike to chime in here.

Kenny won limited limited sport class with a GP310.
    Noisy person

Thanks Doug...Kind of leaning toward the GSX series. I love my GSX380....

Hey Terry....Yea wasn't aware that Ken was running the GP310 last season until now. I know it is a fast and stable boat.
    I think Mike was saying that the air bleeds were the major difference between the GP and GSX series.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

So after doing some more reading and knowing how the GSX380 went together and how it runs I decided to go with the GSX310. I have a feeling it will fit the TP 3630 motor perfectly. This is a little power house motor that will need a hull that will stick to the water during race conditions. I'm thinking that the GSX310 will do that. At least I'm hoping it will...LOL Hope to have the boat sometime next week and start building.

Still like hear your thoughts...

I know this will sound terrible but the nice thing about Mike's boats is that they're kinda idiot proof.

You don't have to sacrifice a live animal to get them to run really well from the first pull of the trigger.
    Noisy person

HAHAHA......I will say that Mike's kits are becoming very easy to build. Not much you can do to screw them up. However the 1/8 scale build was a bit more challenging. Had to get a bit creative with that build.

So what do ya think of the TP 3630 in this rig? Should be plenty of motor. Have an ESC recommendation for this set up? Was thinking of either the Swordfish or Hobby Wing 120 Amp ESC. Or is that overkill?

All his scale boats are like that. He gets you shaped right and you fill in the blanks. I'm at peace with that process. If he worked out every detail for us the kits would be 4 times what he charges. Probably more. Scale is an adventure in my opinion. Even the 10th scales require some imagination. Not everyone finds that amusing.

I have a number of winds of that TP3630 motor too. The 1950kv motor runs really well in sport. We ran the 2200 in Tyler's Stealth. That ran well too but was a little hotter than I like. Considering the water was in the 50's it's not a good sign for summer heats. I've also got the version that is just over 2k. 2070 I think. Water froze before we could try that. We may run it in P sport out in AZ just to get some data on it.

I'm probably going to try some Raider 150 speedo. Steve always backs up what ever he sells but at that price if you get one wonky it's not the end of the world. 150amps should be plenty for these new setups. We ran that 2200 on a Turnigy 120. No idea what the real amps were though.

I liked the Seaking speedos. I really pushed those beyond their rating. Problem for me is that Hobbywing sponsors the guy that triggered MMEU's exit from NAMBA. I can't personally purchase products from any company that sponsors him. That's just me though. Bums me out that they fell for his BS. So be it though. I have options.

I'm still optimistic that we can develop something through MGM at a lower price point. Not everyone needs all the bells and whistles. The Seakings and Raiders work without 99 setting to adjust. Same thing with Castle. Data logging and just a few settings is enough for the average human.
    Noisy person

I hear ya on the 10th scales also....was following your 10th scale build a bit. You were really going to lenghts to get the cowling right and all. I liked the idea of the foam core you used on that....I'm going to have to take a better look at that boat.

Didn't realize the relationship with Hobbywing and this fella. Bummer!! Yea I was looking at the OSE Raider also. It looks a lot like the Seaking ESC. Are they the basic component and then Steve adding something to them for OSE products? I know your right on all the products Steve sells.....He has always backed them 100%. The last one was my ETTI ESC that blew up on my 1/8 scale at the cup race and he took it back to see what he could do. Ended up getting a bigger Swordfish with the ETTI going back and a little cash. At least the Swordfish will be easier to program....LOL

Sure would like to make the Spring Nationals with you guys. Be nice to have this boat in the P-Limited class.

Later Dude!!

Default Went with the GSX310....:biggrin:

Well....Made the decision to build the GSX310 as my P-Limited boat. Ordered it just before Christmas and everything showed up on the 23rd. That was fast....Big thanks to Mike for getting the canopy set up and Mike's laser cutter. Everything looked perfect.

Pretty much settled on the following setup:

TP3630 1950Kv May Opt for the 2070Kv
    OSE Raider 150 Amp ESC
    Speedmaster Mini Sport 20 Rudder
    Speedmaster Sport 20 Strut
    .187 / 3/16" flex cable / shaft

Started the build on Dec. 27th....and had the boat pretty much all framed and ready for sponson skins by Saturday. Of course it did help that I had already built the GSX380 and this is just its little brother. One thing that I have noticed with this kit however is that some of the cuts for the center section tabs and the cuts in the sponson bulkheads for the outside sponson rail were a little enlarged. So took a bit more time in checking the alignment of things for square.

Going to be ordering hardware this week.

image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPG

Looking great! I wish I had the patience to build one of Mike's hulls, there are a bunch of different sizes in my club.

I would recommend the 1950 Kv motor. The old AQ2030 was the motor to beat for years - until AQ went cheap on it. Mine measured much closer to 1850 than to 2030, and it were 6-pole motors. Terry's comments are good ones. The extra torque of the lower Kv with the ability to spin a bigger prop at lower temps will likely make a better race boat. IMO too many folks focus on high rpm.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Looks good Mike, But I think that you are showing off a little building it that quick. You are getting like Terry now. I finally started putting epoxy on my GP310 today that I have had for almost 2 years. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

I liked the Seaking speedos. I really pushed those beyond their rating. Problem for me is that Hobbywing sponsors the guy that triggered MMEU's exit from NAMBA. I can't personally purchase products from any company that sponsors him. That's just me though. Bums me out that they fell for his BS. So be it though. I have options.

I'm still optimistic that we can develop something through MGM at a lower price point. Not everyone needs all the bells and whistles. The Seakings and Raiders work without 99 setting to adjust. Same thing with Castle. Data logging and just a few settings is enough for the average human.
    I'm looking forward to trying the sidewinder ESC I got from castle with a smooth 1515 1y. $63 for the two i could not pass up. I opened up the SC and it's waterproof meaning it's fully ported in epoxy.

I'll use it in spec and see how hard it can be pushed. Perfect size for the LSH I'm building.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey Jay....I'm in agreement...will be starting with the 1950kv, but would like to do some testing with the 2070Kv 5Y and see how that forms also. Be interesting to get some numbers on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Looking great! I wish I had the patience to build one of Mike's hulls, there are a bunch of different sizes in my club.

I would recommend the 1950 Kv motor. The old AQ2030 was the motor to beat for years - until AQ went cheap on it. Mine measured much closer to 1850 than to 2030, and it were 6-pole motors. Terry's comments are good ones. The extra torque of the lower Kv with the ability to spin a bigger prop at lower temps will likely make a better race boat. IMO too many folks focus on high rpm.

Hey Bill!!

Where the heck you been buddy? Going to be racing this year?

Well this went pretty quick since I had already built the 380 and all in all its the same build....LOL Will have the inside center epoxy coated by Wed. and hopefully have the sponson skins on before the weekend. Just won't be able to put the top skin on the right sponson till I get the backing plate design for the turn fin. I like to have that in place already drilled and tapped before the top skin goes on.

Post some pics of your GP310 if you get a chance. Would be interesting to see it....:)

Later buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 80mac View Post
    Looks good Mike, But I think that you are showing off a little building it that quick. You are getting like Terry now. I finally started putting epoxy on my GP310 today that I have had for almost 2 years. Bill

I just realized I have 4 boats I'm working on and none of them are mine. WTH!
    Noisy person

HAHA.....Your legendary Terry!!!

I have put my services out there. Can't take on to many projects other wise I'll not get my own done for ATL this spring. Going to re-motor the 1/8 scale with the TP 5660 640 Kv, moving the motor mount and strut location to meet IMPBA rules and re-working the 380 Q boat strut location. Hopefully I can get them all done by middle of March.

I have some work on Todds twin wing to do.
    Build Ty's Cyber Storm.
    Rebuild a Raptor rigger
    Repair, repaint, and reassemble the Stealth
    Re-power the Pay N' Pack
    Straighten out the mess that is the bottom of Todd's Pursuit.
    New wire drives in 3 boats needed.
    About 70 connectors to solder.

Before warm up in Feb. Those will all have to ship at least a week before. Getting a little tight. A lot tight to be honest.
    Noisy person

I seriously under estimated that connector count. Just banged out 36 and nowhere near half way. Ahhhhhhhhhhh
    Noisy person

Looking good, Mike! I'm sure it will be competitive. I had a 310 years ago and it ran great. I hope to be out there more this year to race with you!

Just got my GSX310 kit in yesterday will be my first kit build. I am looking forward to it!

I have got to get a kit! A little more reading and research, plus finishing what I've got going, and I'm doing it!

Hey Pete....Thanks I'm hoping it will be completive....Its going well so far. Hope to see ya at the pond this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Looking good, Mike! I'm sure it will be competitive. I had a 310 years ago and it ran great. I hope to be out there more this year to race with you!

Jim you will really enjoy building this boat. Everything fits excellent. If you have any questions at all and need help just drop me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by jim82 View Post
    Just got my GSX310 kit in yesterday will be my first kit build. I am looking forward to it!

Evening Larry...
    If you have never built a kit, you can not go wrong with one of Mike's kits. The new GSX line is almost impossible to not to build square. Once you have all the formers square to the bottom pan and the sides of the center section square the dowels help keep it all square so the sponsons line up perfectly. Feel free to ask any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter View Post
    I have got to get a kit! A little more reading and research, plus finishing what I've got going, and I'm doing it!

Default Progress going good

Finished up more on the 310 over the weekend. Front 1/2 round and the 1/4 round were epoxied in place along with the top trim plate. Then epoxied both sponsons to the center section. Cut and sanded the front and rear canopies to fit and sealed the interior of the center section. Just need to start on the sponson skins and start mounting hardware.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good. Is it just the camera angle, or does this boat have a wider stance than the GP?

Hey Pete....

I believe the width is slightly wider than the GP310. It does allow for a set of higher Mah battery packs. There is a ton of room up there. It also appears to have a bit deeper air bleed off on each sponson than the GP did. Overall I believe the major difference is the way the kit is designed for building. It really is a no brainer to build and build straight with the way the dowel system works. Just get your bulkheads 90' to the bottom pan and the side center sections 90' to the work surface and the dowels will keep it right there through out the rest of the build. Of course it also in turn puts the sponsons at the correct angle. If the center sides are off the whole thing is going to be off, but still pretty hard to do with these kits.

The GSX380 was the same....Great Build!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed810 View Post
    Jim you will really enjoy building this boat. Everything fits excellent. If you have any questions at all and need help just drop me a line.
    Thank you. I have not started yet but if I need help I will dang sure ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast