Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Project VooDoo mono build

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Dang I can't believe you can see that. Bothers me too that's why I do it lol.

It's and MGM 25035 x2 lite esc. Very very smooth throttle response. I really wanted a sf300x for this thing but the only thing I had that may hold up was this one. It's 240 amps and will run up to 8s. You can turn the motor so slow that you can almost count the blades on the prop.

*****edit***** that's not heat shrink on this esc. It has two sets of power wires terminated at the same point. The other boat I just finished was actually like that with heat shrink. Maybe you saw that pic temporarily? This one.....

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I finally powered it up tonight. Had a little issue with the MGM esc (why am I not surprised?). It wouldn't even run the motor until I updated the firmware and programming software on it. Once I did that it works like a champ. Got it all programmed to my liking and started on the hatch retention. Got the front part of the hatch done. It's a process on this boat because I recently changed how I do my hatch bolts to a more elegant method which lines everything up even better. I haven't decided on paint and no one is giving me any ideas so I guess it's staying white for now......snore. Lol. Here a pic of the battery gauge lit up although it's so bright that it's blurry in the pic

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Greetings!
    I really like your project, where did you buy the boat hull? Can you link to the site?
    The body of the liver is beautiful, how many mm in length and width?

Sincerely, Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Shar75 View Post
    Greetings!
    I really like your project, where did you buy the boat hull? Can you link to the site?
    The body of the liver is beautiful, how many mm in length and width?

Sincerely, Alexander
    http://keithbradleyboats.com/product/34-mono/

Many thanks!

Im seriously considering selling this boat. I still haven’t had time to run it. So it’s all brand new. I can’t decide on a price, what do you guys think?

Edit. Dang I never updated the thread, I actually finished it. I added some carbon to the front of the hatch to reinforce it and added some layers of fiberglass to reinforce it. On two of these I built the front of the hatch broke where the hole was drilled after some crashes. This hatch should never break. I’ve incorporated fixes on the boat for all I’ve learned in the past builds so this boat will be extremely fast and reliable.

What color should I paint it? I thought about that sexy green like on my Zelos or a pearl white.

Here’s some pics

Maiden it today. Ran so perfect. Of course on its first outing I didn’t have it on full kill. Here’s a video

Travis
    New pond to run on.

It looks almost the same as the pond in my front yard at my old house in Florida.

Boat looks GOOD.
    Looking forward to seeing it opened up on bigger water.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Turn it up

A mono that behaves like it should. No chine walking and no porpoising. I will have to read through the build thread to see if you have any tricks to sort out the misbehaviour typical of most monos.

Thanks Larry and guys. Yea we are camping this weekend and I’m right on a pond. There is a big lake a hundred yards away but it’s had people fishing and kayaking in it. They don’t tell me anything about running in this pond but it’s too small. First glance I was like yea, this will do but even a 40mph boat eats it up in short order.

Yea the build thread is a good read. But look for my original one I built like this one may have more info. I go through great lengths to get things lined up perfect and straight and make sure there’s no slack on the steering.

I had originally planned on doing 100 or so with 6s but I’m not so sure I choose the right motor to do that. I originally was gonna use that motor in a smaller cat and then a 1527 in this boat. Maybe I’ll sell this motor and get a 1527. I dunno.

I messed with it a good bit today. Cut an inch off the rudder. Picked up 1mph. Then I messed with the strut some. Picked up a few more mph. I got it to 40mph so far. I had to work for it, I didn’t bring tools so for instance I cut the rudder with a file I use for sharpening props lmao. I also didn’t bring 6s packs to run in it like I should have. The boat is really setup to run 6s but man does she run clean and smooth. I never thought I’d have fun with a 40mph boat but I never managed to flip it no matter how hard I turned it. It turns ridiculously well. I’m enjoying this boat. Kinda sparked my interest again although I’m considering putting it for sale only because I could use the funds for other things. Here’s another video. Not the fastest as I didn’t have a cameraman later on in the day lol

There was so much care and "soul" put into the construction it would be a shame to sell it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    There was so much care and "soul" put into the construction it would be a shame to sell it on.
    I know

That’s why I haven’t listed it. I’ve come close but man I like this thing. Basically my weekend went like this: pulled the mini carbon car I built out the truck first. Ran it a couple times. Then pulled the mono out. Ran it a couple timed. Forgot about the mini. Put it back in the truck. I’ve been running the mono all weekend because it turns like nobody’s business. When I get home I’m gonna dial it in to about 50mph and turn well.

It is a thing of beauty and a testament to your skill. You would regret it if you did sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    It is a thing of beauty and a testament to your skill. You would regret it if you did sell it.
    they're all his children and each one that gets sold hurts a little.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I have some interesting news. I’ve been meaning to pull the logs and see what it says but I’ve had no time. Got around to it tonight. Well I found out I didn’t set the throttle end points correctly. I tried setting it like swordfish because that’s what I’m used to. Well an mgm is slightly different. Pulling my logs after I set the throttle and trying it out again on the bench (I tried it before and after on the bench to be sure before I made changes) confirmed it. I wish I would have thought of this when I was at the campground. O well, now I can’t wait to run it again to see what speeds I’ll get. I may end up running it on 6s also because that’s what I built it to run on. I can’t wait!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I have some interesting news. I’ve been meaning to pull the logs and see what it says but I’ve had no time. Got around to it tonight. Well I found out I didn’t set the throttle end points correctly. I tried setting it like swordfish because that’s what I’m used to. Well an mgm is slightly different. Pulling my logs after I set the throttle and trying it out again on the bench (I tried it before and after on the bench to be sure before I made changes) confirmed it. I wish I would have thought of this when I was at the campground. O well, now I can’t wait to run it again to see what speeds I’ll get. I may end up running it on 6s also because that’s what I built it to run on. I can’t wait!
    Travis

I remember we talked about this a few years ago.
    I was inquiring about the Castle ESC's at that time.
    I remember the full throttle setting was 118% to 120%
    This is what I use on all my Castle 240's
    I have 8 of them now.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Travis

I remember we talked about this a few years ago.
    I was inquiring about the Castle ESC's at that time.
    I remember the full throttle setting was 118% to 120%
    This is what I use on all my Castle 240's
    I have 8 of them now.

Larry
    Yea that does work with some escs but I think it doesn’t help with an mgm. I just did the process wrong. I feel certain I’ll get the boat where I want it to be now. I think it should do over 50 on 4s and on 6s it should go really fast. At least 75-80 maybe more.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345