Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flier 400 amps

Default flier 400 amps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ESC-BOAT...02765?_trksid= can someone buy this and run it. I really wish flier has worked out all their controller's problems and us average folks finally have an affordable, reliable esc to purchase. any takers??

Found the same one for a way better deal; Flier 400amp

Personally, for that kind of power I would pay more for an MGM...yeah it's "alot" more but nothing worse than ruining a nice boat with a burned out esc! Of course I am the first to agree though that we truly need some affordable alternatives for high amp boats.

I wish I didn't see this thread, I couldn't resist, I just bought two of them for my big Mystic, $400 for two 400amp esc's seems pretty fair. I was ready to pull the trigger on some extremely pricey MGM's today/tomorrow so fingers crossed that you just saved me a huge wad, heck these are 1/4 the price let's just pray they are not 1/4 as good as the MGM's. So needless to say, one day when they get here I will do a report on them.

Question

I hate being a Debby downer, but there is a reason that cheap ESCs are less expensive, and it isn't because the seller makes less profit. We can hope that the cheaper parts, reduced development time and effort, and final assembly end up producing a decent ESC. Odd that the seller can't decide if it's a 12S or 16S controller.

Then, like so many Chinese products the initial lots will be used to get a reputation to boost sales, then subsequent lots will be made with even cheaper parts. We see this all the time - but there are makers who do care about maintaining quality. Let's hope this manufacturer is one of the latter and LW doesn't end up with no money and no functioning ESC. Time will tell...

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...liermodels-esc

Last edited by Fluid; 11-24-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm not going to expect the World out of these Flier esc's, mainly I just hope they won't have a complete meltdown 30 seconds into the first run and ruin my best boat. I know you get what you pay for but I won't be running SAW with them, trying to stay at 150-200amps and will chose props wisely. I still feel the need to get my hands on those bigger MGM's no matter what the outcome...I hope I didn't make a really bad decision.

Default 400 flier

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    I'm not going to expect the World out of these Flier esc's, mainly I just hope they won't have a complete meltdown 30 seconds into the first run and ruin my best boat. I know you get what you pay for but I won't be running SAW with them, trying to stay at 150-200amps and will chose props wisely. I still feel the need to get my hands on those bigger MGM's no matter what the outcome...I hope I didn't make a really bad decision.
    really hope they work out. let us know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    really hope they work out. let us know either way.
    Absolutely will let you and everyone know, once I get them and run them I will create a solid thread with vid's etc and as much detail as possible. I know it's a crap-shoot but I truly hope for all our sake the outcome is positive...but mainly my boat's sake!

I have the program box for the Fliers here LoneWolf. You will be needing it

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I have the program box for the Fliers here LoneWolf. You will be needing it
    I kinda figured that, good to know you have it. So I take it the software is problematic/useless then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    I kinda figured that, good to know you have it. So I take it the software is problematic/useless then?
    Nope, just a certain order you need to do things, I have all that as well.

Default flier 400 amps

Nope, just a certain order you need to do things, I have all that as well.
    I think we all should help "lone wolf" with his build by advising him any way we can to achieve a proper, correct build which will not overload these esc's. His success, after all, benefits everybody interested in reasonable priced, hi voltage esc's. "lone wolf, when you receive these esc's, make sure you run water through them to check for even the slightest water leakage on the cooling blocks. 3 of the fightercat esc's that I ran just before fightercat stopped selling esc's, leaked and took out the esc's. the cooling blocks were siliconed together. Not a good construction method. Also, some of the solder joint (around where the pos and neg battery leads were soldered to the board) were very close to adjacent solder joints. Anyone else have any thoughts or advice ?

I think we all should help "lone wolf" with his build by advising him any way we can to achieve a proper, correct build which will not overload these esc's. His success, after all, benefits everybody interested in reasonable priced, hi voltage esc's. "lone wolf, when you receive these esc's, make sure you run water through them to check for even the slightest water leakage on the cooling blocks. 3 of the fightercat esc's that I ran just before fightercat stopped selling esc's, leaked and took out the esc's. the cooling blocks were siliconed together. Not a good construction method. Also, some of the solder joint (around where the pos and neg battery leads were soldered to the board) were very close to adjacent solder joints. Anyone else have any thoughts or advice ?
    I really appreciate the concerns, nice to not feel alone. For starters I will definitely be testing the watercooling to make sure it's sealed, I've got a small pump and will let it run for a few minutes. Also, will have Cap Banks installed as close to the esc as possible, thanks SRISLASH for sending me those! Hull is MHZ Mystic 138, motors are LMK 3040 1167Kv and will run 8S through X457's for Maiden tests. My 25063 MGM's (250amp continuous) could handle 10S with big X470's reduced to 60mm (116mph) so the 8S setup with the Fliers and X457's should be pretty "mild" and speeds about 90mph max.

maybe we could contact the manufacturer and show him this thread. basically it would be in his best interest to provide a decent esc for reasonable money. and if the esc works well, if quality continues, there is a good market for this esc. I certainly want it to work out. I will be buying at least a couple if they woek as stated.

Agreed and as long as the esc comes anywhere near their spec's it will be fine, heck if Flier could even add higher quality components on for a small increase in price I am sure nobody would have any issues with that...but maybe they won't have to, here's to hoping!

BTW Esc's have already shipped and seller said 5-7 days so won't be long until we see something...stay tuned, will keep you all updated.

maybe we could contact the manufacturer and show him this thread. basically it would be in his best interest to provide a decent esc for reasonable money. and if the esc works well, if quality continues, there is a good market for this esc. I certainly want it to work out. I will be buying at least a couple if they woek as stated.
    I will email Them and see what's been up. I'll explain our situation with the marketplace. They have worked with me in the past so let's hope.
    Shawn

Default flier 400

I will email Them and see what's been up. I'll explain our situation with the marketplace. They have worked with me in the past so let's hope.
    Shawn
    Good idea. I'm going to check on that swordfish thread concerning esc failures and the lip service the mfg. was giving the poster. will let you know.

Subscribed
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Subscribed
    Well Travis I have talked to Flier and changes have been made, And a couple guys outside of here and the 250's and 300's have been doing real well.

But from my own experience, waterproof, waterproof, waterproof, these just as all ESC's!!!
    Steve???

Well Travis I have talked to Flier and changes have been made, And a couple guys outside of here and the 250's and 300's have been doing real well.

But from my own experience, waterproof, waterproof, waterproof, these just as all ESC's!!!
    Steve???

Well if you have a contact at flier and can get me and said contact hooked up, I'll try to convince them to send me one for testing. I can put it in the shocker and flog it to see how it fairs and give an unbiased review on it. It would be really nice to have a 400 amp capable "affordable" unit for us "poor" fellas.....lol
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well if you have a contact at flier and can get me and said contact hooked up, I'll try to convince them to send me one for testing. I can put it in the shocker and flog it to see how it fairs and give an unbiased review on it. It would be really nice to have a 400 amp capable "affordable" unit for us "poor" fellas.....lol
    Tracking my two 400's right now and they are several days out but I will have them hooked up the day they get here and proper testing can commence! I truly hope the main parts ie: Mosfets are upgraded, heck for 400amps they better be!!

I emailed Lisa at flier earlier today to see if I can get my hands on a unit to test and review for you guys. The 37" cat I have with a neu 1527 ought to be a good test mule for it. I won't mind flogging it to lvc to see how it fairs. The 300 amp swordfish is holding up in it so I'm pretty sure the 400 should handle what I throw at it.

So I've emailed back and forth with Lisa a couple times. I'm awaiting an answer from her manager to see if we can get a unit for some testing. I do like the looks of this unit and if they are the same things as the alien units (or even possibly improved) then this unit may be promising. I know of the past Fightercat problems and those escs were actually pretty beefy units but the cooling blocks leaked just a tiny bit and caused it to short out. I'm pretty excited to try something new and hopefully this will be a good alternative to what we have been using. Keep your fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for you Trav, I really liked the setup of these in the past when testing them for FC. We did get thru some issues back then and any repair turnaround was good. Hopefully it's not neede anymore but y'know... boaters! LOL.
    Did you mention anything about waterproofing to Lisa? This will be my next email.
    I have a healthy size single mono that I could put together pretty quick and give a Flier a go with.

Fingers crossed for you Trav, I really liked the setup of these in the past when testing them for FC. We did get thru some issues back then and any repair turnaround was good. Hopefully it's not neede anymore but y'know... boaters! LOL.
    Did you mention anything about waterproofing to Lisa? This will be my next email.
    I have a healthy size single mono that I could put together pretty quick and give a Flier a go with.
    The only thing I mentioned about being waterproof was I wanted them to send me the red waterproof unit.

Btw this would be a good unit to run in my kbb34 that I'm building to run on 6s parallel. I'm trying to get it over 100 and I'll need the amperage overhead.

Red waterproof unit? Link please someone? Is this what you got LoneWolf?

Default flier 400 amps

link is in first post

Good news, esc's just arrived! Unfortunately it's the wife's b-day so won't be in the cards to be hooking these monsters up but tomorrow for sure. Have to say these things are heavy, I'll weigh them later, massive wires of course, 8awg for power and dual sets of 10awg for motor leads. Waterproofing appears good, sort of semi-sloppy but will take pic's of everything when I get a chance, later today. All-in-all a very solid feeling and looking esc's, basically a red brick! Stay tuned...

That's it but the picture does not do justice, I'll get a pic beside an SF300, similar size for sure but the "red brick" is alot thicker.

Details to come...

Thanks Travis, geez I hadn't seen that on their site

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast