Thread: Leopard 2845 4420 kv motor upgrade ?

Default Leopard 2845 4420 kv motor upgrade ?

Hi all looking to upgrade my 19'' Finch mini wild thing at present set up on 2s 2p 1800 50c lipo's Electric fly Ammo 2845 3600 kv motor Etti 45 amp water cooled esc turning x632 prop on a .098'' flex shaft. Looking at installing a Leopard 2845 4420 kv 58 amp draw motor upgrading to a .130'' flex shaft as there are no 4mm flex hex's available to fit a .098'' flex shaft. Has anyone set up a mini hull using the Leopard 2845 motors ? What size esc ? what Dia prop? Are The Leopard 2845 a good quality and powerfull motor? Regards Andris Golts

Check out the description in my video. I have another df23 to build and I'd do it the same.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQWYC__oZM

I ran it on 4s because it's more efficient. You could do the same with the same kv.

Your hull is smaller and will only need a 2845.

Since you have the packs already you might just stick with that configuration, they can take the load.
    Last edited by ray schrauwen; 11-08-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Nortavlag Bulc

there are no 4mm flex hex's available to fit a .098'' flex shaft.
    Evgeniy Gromov sells them on his Ecomaster.torgg shop, he is a member here.

Having said that I recently twisted a .98 flex into a pretzel with a 2836 motor in a 450mm Mini Hydro that judging by your setup is probably little over half the weight, so I think .130 is more suitable for your needs.

3600kv is OK for 3s so you could run 1 more cell with your existing motor, ESC, and x430, or your existing X632 will give a big boost to the speed at the expense of runtime and more load on the flex, maybe run it while your flex lasts, then upgrade if and when it gives out.

4400kv on 2s will work with your X632 and 45A ESC.

A 28x45 motor is ample for a 19" boat.

A 45A ESC is enough for a 19" boat, adding cells would give it an easier time for a given speed though.

An X632 is IMO the best prop for a Mini boat if you prioritise speed and acceleration over runtime. X430 will gain you a fair chunk of runtime, but lose you a fair chunk of speed too. Anything in between isn't worth the compromise to me and I think you would be better off with one of those.

Leopards are great bang for the buck, I have raced several, and still race one, but good without taking the price into consideration is a push too far. They are pretty average motors at a less than average price. Neu, Lehner, Mega, Plettenberg, Kontronik, and some Tenshock motors are all more efficient, but cost more too.

What does it weigh RTR?

Have you tried 2s1p of your cells? You may be able to pick up some speed from the weight savings of running one of your batteries at a time rather than both as a 2p pack, or maybe it is too flighty, or just won't balance out at the lighter weight.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Who says there are no 4mm Flex Drives? Yes they are harder to find but not impossible. Crazy chinese like 4mm for some reason. I just did this turkey hunt. OSE didn't have them and Jeff Wholt could not make them.

Kintec Racing has them and Ebay though. They are all over Ebay, and I just received 5 from Ebay for $12.00 each (from seller dymotorshop) with free shipping! That is hard to beat. You want a 4mm to 4mm collette or other sizes for 4mm flex drive, Kintec Racing has them and a good (hard to find) variety of sizes.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 11-09-2016 at 08:23 PM.