Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need Help with newest 180A SeaKings

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    Eric, since you increased the peak rpm of the motor by almost 10,000 rpm, I hope you reduced the diameter of the prop by about 10 mm.

And I'm curious as to why you say the TPs are "amp hogs" ? I guess it's because you have read this before. I keep hearing this about different brands, but I never hear any reasoning for anyone saying this.
    When I went to TP motor I had been trying different props out.

I'm being like everyone out there saying the TP's can pull alot amps.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    As don mentioned, hopefully you propped down. What is the LVC set to? Your batteries may be experiencing more voltage sag on the new setup and tripping the LVC too early. I've had trouble with overly sensitive LVC on the V3 ESC, and usualy just disable it by default since I time my runs.
    Like I said been trying out different props. I disable the LVC and still cutting out on me even with bec.

My friend has same boat and setup, only difference between our setup is he running Turnigy 180 V2 esc and has no cutting out issues.

We are heat racing though.

"I'm being like everyone out there saying the TP's can pull alot amps."

Eric, there's a big difference saying that a motor is an amp hog, and it CAN HANDLE a lot of amps. And I agree with that statement that yes, the TPs CAN handle more amps than the typical Chinese motor can.

The TPs have better wire in them and more of it. Not really the actual copper quality, although I wouldn't doubt that it is inferior in the cheap motors. But it's the quality, and the temperature rating of the insulation on that wire.

And there are reasons why they would use the inferior wire.

But to your problem, the only fix that I found was to throw the damn thing in the trash, and get a castle. And I had 4 of them. I only have one left and the reason I keep it is because I only use it to test motors on the bench after rewinding them. I don't have a way to load the motor on the bench YET. And If a rewind wasn't just right, and were to burn up the Seaking, well, I wouldn't shed a single tear. Then for testing, I'll move on to my next most hated esc, my MGMs.

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    "I'm being like everyone out there saying the TP's can pull alot amps."

Eric, there's a big difference saying that a motor is an amp hog, and it CAN HANDLE a lot of amps. And I agree with that statement that yes, the TPs CAN handle more amps than the typical Chinese motor can.

The TPs have better wire in them and more of it. Not really the actual copper quality, although I wouldn't doubt that it is inferior in the cheap motors. But it's the quality, and the temperature rating of the insulation on that wire.

And there are reasons why they would use the inferior wire.

But to your problem, the only fix that I found was to throw the damn thing in the trash, and get a castle. And I had 4 of them. I only have one left and the reason I keep it is because I only use it to test motors on the bench after rewinding them. I don't have a way to load the motor on the bench YET. And If a rewind wasn't just right, and were to burn up the Seaking, well, I wouldn't shed a single tear. Then for testing, I'll move on to my next most hated esc, my MGMs.
    I was able to find a castle XL2 esc and have it converted watercooled. It nice to be able to data log.

I am looking at the a TFL ZONDA with 3674 2075KV motors and the Seaking 180 ESC?s. I plan on running 2x6S. Am I going to have problems with this setup cutting out?

Quote Originally Posted by Marley-Buster View Post
    I am looking at the a TFL ZONDA with 3674 2075KV motors and the Seaking 180 ESC?s. I plan on running 2x6S. Am I going to have problems with this setup cutting out?
    Not if it's propped reasonably and you cut one of the ESC positive wires going to the receiver. The SK180's are fine, until you get close to their limits, then one or both will start to cut out. That just means you need a bigger ESC.

Thanks for your help. I didn?t know about cutting one of the positive wires.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345