Thread: 1973 PayNPak 1/8th scale nitro to electric conversion?

Default 1973 PayNPak 1/8th scale nitro to electric conversion?

Halloween 09 020.jpgI built the boat a few years ago for CMB .67 Greenhead power...I built it kind of heavy(I think) to handle the rigors of nitro racing and I believe the boat will end up weighing around 15 to 17 lbs when its done...is there even a motor/ESC combination that can handle that much weight? its also set up for a 1/4" flex shaft....I know ABSOLUTELY ABOUT setting up /rigging an 1/8th scale electric hydro! hardware, motor/battery placement etc. etc. so if anyone can kind of walk me thru this, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I don't think I will ever race the boat, but I would like to see it get up on plane and run at a reasonable speed....doesn't have to be a ballistic, on the verge of a blow over kinda boat! Many Thanks BillHalloween 09 019.jpg

WOW! Almost 90 views and not a single reply? Sure thought I was on the right forum...... Very dissapointing.

Hi Bill
    I just saw this post I run a or ran a 1973 U12 Budweiser. It is 16 pounds and run on 10S2P Lehener 3040 8T Schultz 40.160 and a pitched X462. The boat runs in the high 60ies. For a american motor a Neu 1527 1.5Y on 10S2P up to 12000Mah will work fiine. the only ESC I recommend at this point is a MGM. Do not skimp on the ESC. I spend as much as possible for me and never regretted it. this ESC below is a lot of bucks when I have the extra money I will buy another one. Just keep it dry.
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/race...x2-series.html
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Also you can call me for help if needed.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

There is some on the board if you use the search function. The main problem you have is there are some scale guys here but not a huge number and even less of 1/8th scale hydros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
    WOW! Almost 90 views and not a single reply? Sure thought I was on the right forum...... Very dissapointing.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Hi Bill
    I just saw this post I run a or ran a 1973 U12 Budweiser. It is 16 pounds and run on 10S2P Lehener 3040 8T Schultz 40.160 and a pitched X462. The boat runs in the high 60ies. For a american motor a Neu 1527 1.5Y on 10S2P up to 12000Mah will work fiine. the only ESC I recommend at this point is a MGM. Do not skimp on the ESC. I spend as much as possible for me and never regretted it. this ESC below is a lot of bucks when I have the extra money I will buy another one. Just keep it dry.
    https://www.mgm-controllers.com/race...x2-series.html

Randy, Thanks so much for the reply! Im trying to gather as much info as i can before i start spending money! I wish i could put the best of the best in this boat, especially electronics wise, as that is the smartest thing to do, but the price of that ESC would shut my project down completely.....i was looking at the 300 amp Swordfish...would this work with the motor you recommend? Again, i really appreciate your help, as im going nuts wanting to get started on this boat!

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    There is some on the board if you use the search function. The main problem you have is there are some scale guys here but not a huge number and even less of 1/8th scale hydros.
    Thanks Jim!

The SW 300 light will work but just do not push the size of prop. The thing is if you burn up one and buy another you have spent $650. with shipping. On the third there you are paid for the best any way. If careful and do not push the limit the SW300 may be OK. I never can do that.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Hi Bill.
    I thought a few more guys would have offered some suggestions by now.
    I think a lot of guys over there run the 1527/1.5Y on 10s that Randy suggested.
    I myself run the 1527/1Y 1250kv motor on 8s, in my U-95. ESC is a Swordfish 240A & prop is a Prather s235.
    But it is a light boat at only 15lb ready to go. In fact I had to add weight into the front to balance it & keep it on the water.
    I also race a U-36 Miss America IV shovel, with a TP 4050 1210kv motor on 8s with a Seaking 130A HV ESC spinning a Prather s240.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched this video, But if you haven't seen it, I think it will inspire you.

Last edited by 785boats; 11-11-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Hi Bill.
    I thought a few more guys would have offered some suggestions by now.
    I think a lot og guys over there run the 1527/1.5Y on 10s that Randy suggested.
    I myself run the 1527/1Y 1250kv motor on 8s, in my U-95. ESC is a Swordfish 240A & prop is a Prather s235.
    But it is a light boat at only 15lb ready to go. In fact I had to add weight into the front to balance it & keep it on the water.
    I also race a U-36 Miss America IV shovel, with a TP 4050 1210kv motor on 8s with a Seaking 130A HV ESC spinning a Prather s240.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched this video, But if you haven't seen it, I think inspire you.

I like the idea of running 8S much cheaper for the cells I have a lot of 4S packs. I had the Neu motor at one time someone talked me out of it by waving money in my face.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

He! He! Money is always a good incentive to get rid of things that you don't have the need for any longer.
    That's the main reason that I run 8s. I've got plenty of 4s packs.

I personally run 10s1p 5000mah with a Lehner 2280/9 and MGM 25063 in my 1/8 scale

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Fleury View Post
    I personally run 10s1p 5000mah with a Lehner 2280/9 and MGM 25063 in my 1/8 scale
    Is it a light boat? Todd is that a hot motor? I haven't ran the 2280 in a long time I had a 12T and it was great. The MGM 25063 is a good controller probably a lot better that a Swordfish. And $705. too.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I cant thanks you guys enough for the replies, as they are a big help! I made some choices and ordered some stuff....
    1- a TP-4070 110KV motor/8mm shaft
    2- a Swordfish H-300L ESC that's supposed to be waterproof...the lite is water resistant, but the price was the same....time will tell I guess
    3- im going to run 8s for the reasons Randy stated...a friend of mine who runs FE boats expressed the same reasoning...makes sense to me!
    If the choices I made are less than stellar, i'll learn as I go! Please feel free to holler at me with any advice as I go along with this project guys! And I WILL be very careful not to over prop the boat when its ready to try out!
    785boats, if I had a dollar for every time Ive watched that video, I could buy a COUPLA OF THEM MGM ESCs!!!!! Ive been a PAK FAN since I was a kid, and the "WINGED WONDER" is my favorite unlimited hydro!! Always has been! And it stayed pretty competitive thru the '80s under other owners! Ron Snyder was the MAN! back in the day!! Thanks again guys!

Another question.......I always had to paint my nitro hydros with 2 part automotive paint, mainly IMRON for me, but have any of you guys shot your boats with a good quality enamel rattle can paint? Just curious!����

Bill.
    I had a pretty strong feeling that you would have seen that video. And many more besides, I would imagine. It's just one of my favorite races to watch.

Please tell me that the kv of the motor in your last post is a typo. You'll need a few more revs than 110kv will offer you.

I'm a rattle can guy myself.
    Rustoleum paints work well. I used the 2X range on my last couple of boats. The tape hasn't pulled the paint off yet.

m_051.jpgm_042.jpg

WOW! First time seeing that video. I was fortunate in that I got to see the piston engines in the 70s at Madison and Evansville. Unbelievable memories! Am a fan of Pay n Pak. Their shop was in Madison. And by the way, the movie "Madison" starring Jim Caveziel, star of Person of Interest, is a very good movie based on a true story. We got to see a lot of the filming in Madison.
    My first roc boats were nitro. Then I got a hold of an electric thunder scale hydro. Love it. So now I am going to ask anyone's advice on the same topic, nitro to electric. I have a 37 inch Dumas AVL Blue Blaster with a K B 7. 5. That will be the first switch. Also a Dumas Pay n Pak .21 that has been remodeled to their first turbine hydro. The Pay n Pak has a modified K B .21 that outran the much more expensive OPS powered outriggers! Those were the days.
    But to get back in rc with my family, it would completely feasible electric.

Sorry about that 785! The motor is rated at 1100 KV....and thanks for letting me know what you paint your boats with..... They look GREAT!

I figured it was a typo Bill.
    That will be a good solid setup for 8s

Jerry.
    Love that movie. In fact I lent the DVD to a club member last week. His wife sat down & watched it with him, & really enjoyed it. And she's not a big boat fan.

Thanks 785! I love that movie too! Jerry, the Dumas .21 PaynPak was the 2nd boat I ever built! I built it in 1981, stuck a K&B 3.5 race car engine with the big ol heat sink head in it put a cool clamp on it, a had a blast...in fact.....I STILL GOT IT! And I just remembered that I've got another kit.....might make a new really fun FE!!

I too used a K&B, but the marine version modified by using an aircraft crank. Then rotate the front housing 90 degrees allowing the cylinder block to rotated 180 degrees. Now you have a carbureted rear exhaust motor that with an ops .21 tuned pipe is wicked fast because of the timing changes from the airplane crank and housing rotations.
    If you go electric, please keep us informed. I am slowly doing research to go electric?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryemartin1958 View Post
    I too used a K&B, but the marine version modified by using an aircraft crank. Then rotate the front housing 90 degrees allowing the cylinder block to rotated 180 degrees. Now you have a carbureted rear exhaust motor that with an ops .21 tuned pipe is wicked fast because of the timing changes from the airplane crank and housing rotations.
    If you go electric, please keep us informed. I am slowly doing research to go electric?
    Sure will Jerry! I think its gonna be a lot of FUN! Here ya go........The Pak with the driver is the .20 boat, the other one is the .40 boat....the 1/8th scale FE will have the scale paint scheme.......!boats 08 013.jpgboats 08 025.jpg

Great looking build and finish quality! Building a hydro is as much fun as running!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryemartin1958 View Post
    Great looking build and finish quality! Building a hydro is as much fun as running!
    Thanks Jerry! AGREED! COMPLETELY!