Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zelos 48: Modding, Running, & Setup Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IRON-PAWW View Post
    So wait.... you have an 800kv TP Motor? Or the 800kv Castle?

I'm done with TP Motors. 2 bad motors straight out of the box is enough for me. If you have a new one I'd definitely open it and check all is as it should be. Or else run it *carefully* first up to check for excessive heat.

The castle 2020 Extreme has run very well straight from the box. Still incrementing the props up at the moment. Looks good so far... Different beast to the TP stuff.
    T.P. motor. when i tear it down, what do I look for?

Check for anything that looks like this. See at the bottom where the green tape has slid around to the bottom of those windings? That is wrong - it should be like all the others.

If you aren't confident in opening it up - you could just bench test and see if the motor gets unnecessarily hot after a short time. Or check it after only about a minute or less run time on the first run. My motor and esc were very hot after a very short initial run - so I wouldn't push it any more. If temps are all good after that then run a little longer and check. You'll soon know if the motor is good.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Check for anything that looks like this. See at the bottom where the green tape has slid around to the bottom of those windings? That is wrong - it should be like all the others.

If you aren't confident in opening it up - you could just bench test and see if the motor gets unnecessarily hot after a short time. Or check it after only about a minute or less run time on the first run. My motor and esc were very hot after a very short initial run - so I wouldn't push it any more. If temps are all good after that then run a little longer and check. You'll soon know if the motor is good.
    ok, thanks

This thread never seemed to garner much interest. But I like to finish things off in case anyone *was* interested. Apologies for huge delay. Life... y'know. Ran with a Dasboata prepped ABC 2015 and got the numbers back. Boat had bounce that limited how much I could stay on the trigger so some adjustment to prop depth may help. If I can smooth it some then this prop would do a lot better I think. Numbers say I've got a bit of headroom still. Perhaps a 2016 3 blade next if I can calm it on the 2015.

If I can get 60mph (96.56 km/h) then I think I'll rest.

CASTLE 2028 EXTREME: 10S VOLTAGE: SWORDFISH 300A Lite: 4 x 5000mah TURNIGY GRAPHENE 5S 60C

Max speed 91 km/h ( 56.5 mph )

CURRENT - ABC 2015

TEMP - ABC 2015

RPM - ABC 2015

RPM - 4814 2 Blade - For Comparison
    Last edited by IRON-PAWW; 05-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA
    || 2 x SV 27R || Impulse 31 - ver1 || Traxxas Spartan || Kintec Pursuit || Zonda Cat 41" || Insane FE30 || OuterLimits 870mm || TFL Ariane 36" || ProBoat Zelos 48 ||

Default zelos 48

This thread never seemed to garner much interest. But I like to finish things off in case anyone *was* interested. Apologies for huge delay. Life... y'know. Ran with a Dasboata prepped ABC 2015 and got the numbers back. Boat had bounce that limited how much I could stay on the trigger so some adjustment to prop depth may help. If I can smooth it some then this prop would do a lot better I think. Numbers say I've got a bit of headroom still. Perhaps a 2016 3 blade next if I can calm it on the 2015.

If I can get 60mph (96.56 km/h) then I think I'll rest.

CASTLE 2028 EXTREME: 10S VOLTAGE: SWORDFISH 300A Lite: 4 x 5000mah TURNIGY GRAPHENE 5S 60C

Max speed 91 km/h ( 56.5 mph )

CURRENT - ABC 2015

TEMP - ABC 2015

RPM - ABC 2015

RPM - 4814 2 Blade - For Comparison
    running my zelos 48 with tp 5670 840kv, swordfish lite 300 10s2p. started with prather 250. packs on both sides pushed all the way forward. cg at 33%. boat bounces and wants to blow over. built a battery tray in front of the motor and 2 added layers of matt. it was kinda thin there. going to mount 2 packs up there and 2 all the way forward on both sides. that will give me 35% cg. sponson bottoms are perfectly flat and sharp. will run this weekend. will post results. using telemetry (graupner) for pack voltage and esc temps.

The prather 250 is a 58mm or so prop isn't it? That should be interesting!! I'll be interested in your results for sure.

This hull does like to blow over there's no doubt. Especially into the wind. I've found that the strut height can calm it a little but the best setting & angle seems different for different props.

Intetested too to see how your layout works out. My esc (sf300 lite as well) is in front of the motor....but i have the mounting to put it on top so I'll see how yours turns out :-).

Messing with air dams too to see if they may help with blow overs. First test run this weekend.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

The prather 250 is a 58mm or so prop isn't it? That should be interesting!! I'll be interested in your results for sure.

This hull does like to blow over there's no doubt. Especially into the wind. I've found that the strut height can calm it a little but the best setting & angle seems different for different props.

Intetested too to see how your layout works out. My esc (sf300 lite as well) is in front of the motor....but i have the mounting to put it on top so I'll see how yours turns out :-).

Messing with air dams too to see if they may help with blow overs. First test run this weekend.
    this boat has excessive lift, which actually is a good thing. easy to reduce lift, hard to add. i think the stock strut height is below rear sponsons, right? the only reason to put the strut below the rear sponsons would be to loosen up the boat. not needed here. this boat has wide, flat (no dihedral) sponsons. high lift. I put in a 5/16" brass shaft tube and mounted strut back at transom. let me know how the air dam works.P1010016.jpg

what power system are you running?

Power is Castle 2028 Extreme 800kv 10S.

I am *not* experienced with cats - let me just say that now.

In my hull I cannot quite get the strut to sit below the rear sponsons. Close but not quite. Below the rear sponson *is* the accepted running position that people with experience have advised me. But some have said that dropping the strut slightly *can* help with bounce and prop walk with *some* cats.... I get the impression this very much hull dependent and won't always work.

Dropping the strut and putting in a touch of negative *can* help with bounce. I never had much luck doing this.

Next run is with ABC 2016 3 blade - a very slight shade of negative - a touch lowered - air dam. We'll see.....

Can you show me how your strut is set urbs00007?

I went back and re-read all the advice Rafael gave me that seems relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post

I've tried a detongued 450/3 and its too much prop on 8s. The boat prop walks horribly.

If you end up propping too high, the boat will let you know. It will start to prop walk horribly, whipping the back end side to side as it's running.

You also have the option of 3 blade props. 50mm and smaller should fit the boat well. I find that 3 blade props on a cat tend to give them the lift they sometimes lack and makes them ride very smooth over calm water. a 450/3 is too much for 8s, but works well with 6s. M series props will help with some prop walk if the prop is too large and relief cutting should help as well.

The twin can bounce too, if the CG is too far back. This is how you know to move your packs forward, or add 1-1.5mm of negative angle in to the struts to lift the transom. The bouncing is all tuning, IMO. If your Pro Boat cat is bouncing, it's telling you the CG is off or it needs more negative strut angle.

Something is off if you only got 48 on 8s. Drop your strut as low as it will go and try and add some negative angle to lift the transom and calm the bounce. I've never seen speeds that low on 8s. The slowest I've got on 8s was 53 with some very weak packs.
    PERTH AUSTRALIA

Default zelos 48

Power is Castle 2028 Extreme 800kv 10S.

I am *not* experienced with cats - let me just say that now.

In my hull I cannot quite get the strut to sit below the rear sponsons. Close but not quite. Below the rear sponson *is* the accepted running position that people with experience have advised me. But some have said that dropping the strut slightly *can* help with bounce and prop walk with *some* cats.... I get the impression this very much hull dependent and won't always work.

Dropping the strut and putting in a touch of negative *can* help with bounce. I never had much luck doing this.

Next run is with ABC 2016 3 blade - a very slight shade of negative - a touch lowered - air dam. We'll see..... I have no experience with cats, so I'm going to treat this boat like a mono. if it was blowing off and bouncing, I would raise the strut

Can you show me how your strut is set urbs00007?

I went back and re-read all the advice Rafael gave me that seems relevant...
    I have no experience with cats, so I'm going to treat this boat like a mono. if it was blowing off and bouncing, I would raise the strut then put negative angle in it. the stock strut on this boat is not really adjustable and the stuffing box is not bendable. I put a normal setup in mine. see picture. my strut is even with sponson bottoms. i also came up with neat hatch fastening setup. also, I put 2 batteries up front in front of motor. see pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12