Thread: Spartan Upgrade Recommendations

Default Spartan Upgrade Recommendations

Hi. I recently got my first rc boat (ProBoat Recoil 17) and have been having lots of fun. I am going to get a Traxxas Spartan as my next boat. I have done PLENTY of research and i know all about its cooling issues and that i need to add a second water cooling line as well as a better water cooling jacket for the motor. I have read about people using the boat on 6s and having the ESC break. I saw on OSE that they have an upgrade kit that includes a Leapord 4082 1600kv and a SeaKing 180a ESC. I like the deal and people say its great for the boat. Im not sure if i should go for it right away or if i should just use the boat with the stock electronics for a while. I plan on buying 2x 3s batteries as well as 2x 2s batteries so i dont always have to run the boat on 6s. Anyway i was wondering what prop wuld be best if i were to go for the upgraded config. (I am going to get the OSE 3/16 flex cable even if i keep it stock.) I really like the x442 if i were to keep it stock but i cant really find very much info on what fits the upgraded setup nicely. Some people say the Prather s220 would be good but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated .
    Also, the OSE upgarde kit comes with bullet connectors for the batteries. Since the batteries run in series im not sure how they would need to be hooked up; considering that the Gens Ace batteries i will be purchasing have Traxxas connectors.

Thanks in advance! Luke

Motor/ESC Combo: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...artan-Combo-v3
    Last edited by LukeFig; 11-01-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Your going to end up with a very expensive plastic boat by buying the Spartan & upgrading the motor & esc, just get a Voracity 36 that already comes with a 6 pole 4082 motor & decent esc. No need for any upgades & will run better & faster than the Spartan + a glassfibre hull.

I would run the boat with the stock setup first. The first reason is to get used to the boat and the second as something to compare to the new setup so you will see the value of your upgrade. I don't have enough with the Spartan to recommend a prop.

I would replace the Traxxas connectors, especially with the upgrade. Don't use adapters! Solder the 6mm OSE connectors that come with the upgrade onto the battery leads, making sure the polarity is correct.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the replies! martin, thanks for the suggestion on the Voracity.. I really like it and am considering just getting that instead, it would be ALOT cheaper in the end! Any idea i should do any upgrades off the bat or if i should upgrade the prop?
    Thanks!

You'll want to get the OSE upgraded flexshaft, a quality set of 3S batteries, and a S&B stock prop to start with. I never liked the stock trim tabs because I felt they put too much stress on the transom when adjusted. I found an adjustable set with the same sized mounting holes, there are several other options as well.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Hey fweasel, thanks for the response. I am most likely getting a Voracity instead. I noticed that you have one as you have listed at the bottom as your signature or whatever. Do you have any suggestions on what to get starting off? I saw a video where a guy got 55-60mph out of it on 6s with the OSE flex shaft and an M645. I will get that to start unless you have any other suggestions on what might work nice.
    Thanks! :)

My last post was about the Voracity. Lots of prop info in the Voracity modding thread. I run an ABC 1914 17* and do about 56mph. Several others have run the ABC 1915 17* and are over 60mph. I wanted a little more headroom on the stock electronics so I didn't go as aggressive on the prop.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)