Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW which gun do you use and why?

Default CCW which gun do you use and why?

Ali and I are getting our CCW's this month and buying new handguns.

what do you all carry? recommend?

We are looking for .40 S&W semi auto's at least
    an RC rock crawler lost in a sea of boat parts.........

I carry a kimber ultra cdp with 3 inch barrel awesome gun holds tight groups a bit pricey but worth it pretty light for 1911 45 alloy frame

Yep out of my price range............I was thinking along the lines of the taurus pt-140 for the wife and the Taurus 24/7 Pro for me.

This would be my choice:

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=14

.45 ACP get the job done the first time.

But whatever you decide on. PLEASE take the time to actually become proficient. It still mystifies me why gun owners get all wound up about this. In most states all it takes to buy a gun is a clean record and the money. But we require the girl who cuts your hair to be proficient and licensed. How insane is that??

My wife is 5 foot nothing and never had a problem with a .45.

And this will no doubt shock some of you, but when I was doing my fieldwork in geology in SE Arizona just feet from the border I carried TWO guns. A Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum in a holster with 2 rounds of snake shot in the first 2 chambers and a full size stainless steel .45 ACP in my pack. And yes, I knew how to use both of them. Still have them but see little or no reason to walk around with them. At the ready in the house to be sure, along with the Remington 12 Ga.
    Don't get me started

Double Post.

Maybe I should sell my guns. I am too stupid to use the internet how can I possibly be OK to own a gun.
    Last edited by Bill-SOCAL; 11-08-2008 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Too stupid to type too!!
    Don't get me started

WTF... is this a gun trade show now... Ariz. boy, 8, accused of killing 2, including dad http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/.../child_charged back in the days a fist use to be your best weapon, the loser would still be alive to keep stepping.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    WTF... is this a gun trade show now... Ariz. boy, 8, accused of killing 2, including dad http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/.../child_charged back in the days a fist use to be your best weapon, the loser would still be alive to keep stepping.
    This an off topic thread about hadnguns for ccw, if you dont like it thats fine but dont start your usual liberal crap and junk it up please. If you wish go start another thread

I like my dads Glock ( not sure what model, but .40 cal) I am wanting to buy a Glock or HK, but prices have gone up in the past few years.
    Twin power =

H&K USP .40
    because in a world of compromise, some don't

I also have a S&W M&P9C
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

The first gun my wife ever shot was a full auto H&K MP5
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Avanti, have you tried a glock .40? Would you rec the hk over the glock? My dad told me to buy a hk over the glock if I buy in that price range. I know there are tons of stuff for glock if you were to want to change things, but I don't really know much about HK except the reputation

This is a little off topic, but I thought it was really cool, check it out, its sort of a CCW, just watch and see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NH...eature=related
    Twin power =

ACE they are very similar in comparison I just hate glocks because of the wannbe factor.
    but either way you can't go wrong. there is a good comparison video on the tube.
    the glock also have every add on toy imaginable available for it if your in to tactical stuff and bling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ9wXzhr_4c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZmVcR4CEk4
    he claims not to be bias, but I think he favor the glock.
    at any rate great comps...

While on the subject of self defense when I was younger I felt more strongly about being armed whenever legally possible. As I've grown older and realized that in my now close to 53 years on Earth I have not once been in a position where I needed to use a gun to protect myself.

Not sure what that means, but perhaps the perception of danger is far greater than the actual danger. But in the end I have no qualms about people being legally armed. My only sticking point is how few actually learn to become proficient and even fewer that stay proficient.

And in case some here have never heard of this man, take a look:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cooper.htm

As far as I am concerned, Col. Cooper was THE man.

A great way to stay proficient and to get some real life stress shooting is through organized events, especially those held by the IPSC.

http://www.ipsc.org/

http://www.uspsa.org/
    Don't get me started

For the record I don't carry, my guns are for shooting at the range and home protection.

And I still love the scene in Full Metal Jacket where the DS has the recruits marching around singing "This is rifle and this is my gun. One is for killing the other is for fun!!"

The reason I am a big fan of competitive practical shooting events is that they give you as close to a real life shooting situation as you can get. And when you are stressed you will revert to your training. And if you have no training, then you might as well throw the damn thing at the bad guys.
    Don't get me started

Mine would be only for home protection also, but I think having a permit is a good idea.

Avanti, thanks for the link, I think I like the glock better due to durability of the polymar, but I think the HK looks better (not that it matters for its purpose), and is probably more comfortable to shoot, looks like either choice is good. Both are probably out of my price range right now, though. Maybe I can pick up a good used one.

If you type magpul on youtube you get a bunch of cool clips of guns and mock up scenarios.
    Twin power =

either one will be in the $500+ range

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    This would be my choice:

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=14

.45 ACP get the job done the first time.

But whatever you decide on. PLEASE take the time to actually become proficient. It still mystifies me why gun owners get all wound up about this. In most states all it takes to buy a gun is a clean record and the money. But we require the girl who cuts your hair to be proficient and licensed. How insane is that??

My wife is 5 foot nothing and never had a problem with a .45.

And this will no doubt shock some of you, but when I was doing my fieldwork in geology in SE Arizona just feet from the border I carried TWO guns. A Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum in a holster with 2 rounds of snake shot in the first 2 chambers and a full size stainless steel .45 ACP in my pack. And yes, I knew how to use both of them. Still have them but see little or no reason to walk around with them. At the ready in the house to be sure, along with the Remington 12 Ga.

I like seeing this post by Bill. It shows even though he's a dem, he harbors some hidden inside right wing views. He's just totally understanding them yet. Dont worry Bill, we all still love ya!
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I am carrying a Glock Model 27 at work, but also have a HK40. After trying to be proficient with the 27 for years, I will switch to carrying the HK once I find a nice holster for it. The HK is much smoother. For those of you who don't know, my full time day job is a jewelry store owner in a rougher than liked neighborhood.
    Steven Vaccaro

What about a Sig Sauer P229? (for the record, I stick to the rifle and shotgun for hunting) However, I do borrow a handgun when I go into the mountains.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

The only gun I ever owned was a 9x18mm Makarov exactly like this one.

I sold it after my camping trip in the blueridge mountains.

Foreign-made 9x18mm ammunition is very inexpensive and allows for considerable shooting. It is slightly more powerful and much less costly than the ballistically similar .380 ACP
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have a safe full
    my fav is my Armalite AR15

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    I like seeing this post by Bill. It shows even though he's a dem, he harbors some hidden inside right wing views. He's just totally understanding them yet. Dont worry Bill, we all still love ya!
    I am actually registered as an Independent. You see, I think a woman should be able to CCW when when goes to get an abortion is she so desires.

But don't get too happy yet. I also think that there is not even the slightest bit wrong with requiring people to demonstrate some minimum level of competence with a firearm before they can go off and start packing heat.

And finally, I am always concerned about the Billy Bad A$$ mentality that I see from many gun owners. 90% of these folks would fill their own shorts if they were ever actually confronted with a situation requiring the use of deadly force.

But in the end, I agree with Col. Cooper, An Armed Society is a Polite Society.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    The only gun I ever owned was a 9x18mm Makarov exactly like this one.

I sold it after my camping trip in the blueridge mountains.

Foreign-made 9x18mm ammunition is very inexpensive and allows for considerable shooting. It is slightly more powerful and much less costly than the ballistically similar .380 ACP
    Those are nice little guns, but what a kick! shooting that all day will build you your hand and forearm hungarian PA-63. There are spring kits and other mods available to reduce the trigger pull and kick about 50%. They shoot a real nice pattern very accurate. Being la lefty though I had to make myself up a set of grips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    But don't get too happy yet. I also think that there is not even the slightest bit wrong with requiring people to demonstrate some minimum level of competence with a firearm before they can go off and start packing heat.

And finally, I am always concerned about the Billy Bad A$$ mentality that I see from many gun owners. 90% of these folks would fill their own shorts if they were ever actually confronted with a situation requiring the use of deadly force.

But in the end, I agree with Col. Cooper, An Armed Society is a Polite Society.

I agree that there should be training. In the great on state of Massachusetts getting a firearm is extremely difficult!
    Steven Vaccaro

Unfortunately that is the problem. I think the government has focused on making it harder to obtain a firearm rather than making sure that those who do get them are safe and trained.

I am not a fan of background checks and such. Bad guys will get guns irrespective of that. But it makes no sense to me that Joe Suburbia can fill out the papers, pass a background check and he is good to go. Here in California they actually require that you obtain a handgun safety certificate (not needed for rifles and shotguns). You have to pass a test on safe handling and gun laws and then do a practical test with the gun you want demonstrating that you actually know how to safely load and unload it.

Not one person I know of would be OK with allowing people to drive without a license, but owning a gun without a similar deal is just fine and dandy. But as I said, sadly the government has focused licensing on who can own a gun and record keeping in that regard rather than on making those people safe.

This is one place I think the NRA has gone way off course. I think that if we had proficiency based licensing it would reduce the number of accidental deaths and injury and remove one of the major points used by anti-gun people to argue against guns.

Bottom line - I think anyone who owns a gun and who has not taken at the very least a course in safe handling is an idiot.
    Don't get me started

Both Ali and I have had gun safety courses and have signed up for refresher as for the competitive type courses those would be several hundred miles away from us (or farther). We both have been around guns our whole lives. I run a 6 cottage resort on the Olympic Peninsula, the closest town of any size is 70 miles away. I take several walks around the property at night to make sure that there is nothing out of place. I am the security for the resort and our guests;, and feel its time to take that roll a little more serious.

As in the past, when I purchase the new guns. I will spend quite a bit on ammo, so we can practice, and practice. I think I also found a retired sheriffs officer to give us further training.

I know it's not realistic and i know nothing about guns.......but it's sure neato.

Quote Originally Posted by teach View Post

I know it's not realistic and i know nothing about guns.......but it's sure neato.

actually that looks like a Walther P99 variant all decked out. a very nice handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
    Both Ali and I have had gun safety courses and have signed up for refresher as for the competitive type courses those would be several hundred miles away from us (or farther). We both have been around guns our whole lives. I run a 6 cottage resort on the Olympic Peninsula, the closest town of any size is 70 miles away. I take several walks around the property at night to make sure that there is nothing out of place. I am the security for the resort and our guests;, and feel its time to take that roll a little more serious.

As in the past, when I purchase the new guns. I will spend quite a bit on ammo, so we can practice, and practice. I think I also found a retired sheriffs officer to give us further training.
    Sounds to me like you are in the perfect situation to be armed/CCW.
    Don't get me started

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast