Thread: Flier 3-16s 300a esc

Default Flier 3-16s 300a esc

Fighting in my head as far as an which ESC to choose. Have been reading alot of posts about them here and online reviews, Seems like there's been some problems with Swordsfish esc's lately but I understand that some of those issues could be set up or user issues (get that). Found a thread about what are the ultimate ESC's recently (don't remember the name) but at $650 my boats would cost $3000 to build and some day would like to build a second boat of some kind and that price tag wouldn't go over so well with the misses. LOL

Been looking at the Flier line of ESC's, especially the 16S 300A and can't really find alot of info online but what I have read isn't really bad reviews. There's some info on this site but really isn't negative.
    I really like the looks of them (seem built pretty good) but it's the thickness that appeals to me at 7/8" it would be great as I was thinking about making a ESC mount that straddles the packs in the nose of the hydro.

At first I will be using (2) Revo 435 Graphene 5000 mah in series that are 1-5/8" thick and the ESC is 7/8" thick, I actually have 3-1/2" at the thickest point in the nose that tapers down to 2-1/2" where the end of the battery packs will be.

Motor is Neu 1527 1.5Y 850

Would like to hear from some of you pros out there to know what your thoughts are as this is my first FE

Cool

If this is your first FE boat why in the world do you need a 300 amp ESC? As with all Chinese ESCs, reviews from a few years ago are useless, the makers are constantly changing the controllers usually to reduce costs. BTW, looks are meaningless too, it is performance which counts. Making a pretty looking case is cheap compared to making a reliable controller.

Few here know much about the Flyer line. It would be helpful to know the specifics of your build:

- the exact hydro and its dimensions
    - the exact packs and total voltage to the ESC
    - the type of running you will do...oval racing, zip zip running, general sport
    - how large is the pond where you will run?
    - what are your speed and run time expectations?
    - what about this particular ESC appeals to you?

Without all this information we can't give you meaningful recommendations. Please give it all to us.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

This is a 1/8th hydro? Fluid is correct, a bit more info please. I don't have experience with Flier's latest offerings but do have quite a bit of experience with them.

ML Boatworks 1/8 scale that's being built as the 1991 Winston Eagle and is 45" long. Built three 1/8th scales in the past but all were nitro powered (last one was Radared at 68 mph) but don't want to deal with nitro anymore, we have a pretty good size pond at one of parks for RC boating in Las Vegas but all they race here is gassers, so if I decide to race will have to travel to Arizona or California to be able to do that. Speed I'm looking for is in the 65-70 range.
    Quite a few people (on this site) giving advice talk about better safe than sorry that's why I'm looking in the 240-300 amp range. I haven't read a lot about Flier ESC's that tells me there no good and don't buy them and the price appeals to me (about the same as a Swordfish). Recommendations are definitely welcome
    Running will be General Sport and Oval racing
    Motor is a Neu 1527 1.5Y 850KV
    Batteries will be (2) Revo 435 Graphene 5S 5000 mah 70C / 140C Burst making 37 volts (in series for now)

On my other hydroplanes my go to prop was a Octura X457 and it seems to me that with FE you have to prop down a bit? but any recommendations would be appreciated as well.
    Run time? say 10-15 hot laps, not worried about running for a long time. Just running as fast as possible to get through a race and have a cushion
    Last edited by worthing3104; 11-04-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Well I am not sure about 10-15 laps on 5000mah, double that mah up and shouldn't be a problem. I have never had a hydro that big so I am likely no good judge.

Honestly as of late I am an Etti fan(220HV). They are a bit touchy off the get go but that wouldn't matter in a hydro as you generally have to 'snap' the throttle to get up on plane.
    The fliers are much improved and had good throttle response and efficiency. We had cooling issues and solder quality issues(very low melt point) at the beginning. But my last few are good. THEY NEED WATERPROOFING!!!

Set up correctly your combination should give mid-60s, but not for ten laps. It will draw too many amps for the 5000 mAh packs, and even ten laps is a very long time for a racing FE boat - you don't need, or want, warmup laps. My 10S cats for example run in the mid-60s with 6000-6500 mAh packs and I can make 7-8 laps on the 1/6th mile course safely, but that's as far as I will push it. More will overheat and damage the packs. To make over 10 laps safely you will need more capacity.

I am not familiar with that exact hull, but you may have trouble getting all the packs onboard with the correct CG. That is often the real challenge with the 1/8th scales since their design limits interior room, you may need a high-lift prop to keep the nose down. But by being creative you should be able to cram in enough capacity. Hopefully someone with that hull will chime in.

I am impressed with your build BTW.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Good info..Thank you guys...I have plenty of room for bigger packs, no problem and I can figure something out for the esc...but in the end I really don't have to do the ten laps I stated earlier just enough to make a qualifier or race and have a little left over so those 6 or so laps I do make are quick and consistent.

I have a build going on here with pics and today just got the second coat of resin over the carbon fiber in the center section, been going slow the last few weeks but will pick up steam here in about a week.

Thanks Again