Thread: Toysport Jolly "magic part"

Default Toysport Jolly "magic part"

Just received the part that Joseph Toth sent me. Its a wedge and you can see from the pictures were it sits!(between the drives)

According to Joseph it makes the boat ride much more stable with considerable less bounce!

I'll take a couple of pictures of the actual part that he sent and include measurements in case someone wants to try and duplicate it for their boat!

My part is yellow so it should show up pretty decent on a dark background!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

its basically just a tunnel extension. Not only should it help settle the boat, but it may help top speed

OK the part measures 3 7/8 x 2 1/2 x 9/16.

As you can see(I hope) it's a wedge!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Now I have a question - Joseph has said that I should just epoxy the part in place!

Should I rough up the surface where the part sets to get a better adhesion?
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

roughing up the contact surface on both the hull and the wedge will help the epoxy bond to either surfaces.

Before you place that I think you should know that same people use trim tabs...
    just an FYI
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Thanks I appreciate the thought! But I have to believe that the man who designed and built this twin Jolly believes that this is a better alternative!

With this having twin drives I'm not sure where the right spot would be for trim tabs!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Kind of takes the place of a tunnel tab, obrien is right on the money. You might want to think about making it adjustable some how.
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

MTI does this on race boats only...we saw it and discussed it at Randy's shop (MTI) His was made of 2" teflon and has trim rams on it. Only good for higher speeds but says it works well. Tunnels the air and provides lift

Talking

Awesome idea , I've been thinking about this type of trim tab for my twin maritimo cat. here is a pic of a real one on the boat. enjoy!!!

Thanks for the info and pictures.
    I must make up something similar for my twin Jolly to tame the bounce.
    Maybe if I make it from some flexible material like plastic sheet, or even carbon fibre, and attach it only on the front edge it can be adjustable on the rear edge with some screws or bolts like we do with trim tabs.
    Hmmmmmm, have to get creative.
    Graham.

Well I had the cat out today after mounting the part on the hull and it does make quite a difference! The bounce is gone! You apply the power and it just lifts and goes .... Full Tilt Boogie!

But I'm still nervous running this thing, it handles well .... just not confident in my abilility in driving this fast!

But I love this boat!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

sounds good maybe it need a little more surface area to run on. wait which way do they usually bounce forward or back?
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS

By bounce, I believe he means porpoise. Where the boat hops in and out of the water like a dolphin
    The Manx has been sitting dormant, but I think I finally have my motivation back. I hope to see it float soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
    sounds good maybe it need a little more surface area to run on. wait which way do they usually bounce forward or back?
    Up and down
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Yeah I do mean Porpoise ... everytime I type the word porpoise it never looks right ... I guess that's what spell check is for!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

If any of you guys have bought these hulls from me, let me know. I can get the wedge for you. I have a couple of wedges for Doug P and Robert G going out today.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Steven.
    Thanks for the offer to supply me with one of these 'magic parts' even though I didn't buy my Jolly from you.
    Please bill me for all costs/ freight etc to get it down to NZ.
    Regards
    Graham.

tunnel tabs work very well. they have been around since the first cat hulls
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Yeeehaaaa !
    I finally got around to fitting my own version of the 'magic part' to my twin Jolly and what an instant transformation.
    No more porpoising what so ever, and she rides perfectly with just a little bit of nose up attitude at full speed ( I'm guessing about 90 kph / 55 mph ) and when she does leap off a wave she stays dead flat in the air.
    Who would have thought that such a simple mod would make such a difference.
    By the way, rather than use the fibreglass wedge, I made an alloy flap to the same dimensions which is attached at the front edge but is adjustable at the rear ( just like on the full size cats ).
    I can move the rear up and down a little but it works just fine at the setting supplied by Joseph ( Mr Toysport ).
    I hope on future hulls this wedge is included in the design as it turns a dog into a rocket ship.
    Graham.

I would like to discuss the term : tunnelextension , haha
    the TUNNEL ends where the sponsons end, so this is not a tunnelextension, haha.
    In the latest version of the Jolly, they have made real tunnelextensions.

Note : this is not the Toysport version, but a changed version of the original AS-Schink Jolly.

I Loved my Jolly more than any other boat I have and it drove me Crazy trying things to make her stop bouncing!!! I finally read this thread and found new hope. I sent a e-mail to Mr.Toth asking about ordering a wedge for my hull and got no reply... a couple of weeks past by, then I checked the mail box on my way in from work Friday and to my suprise a package was in there for me from Hungury???? 1 wedge and 2 other pieces of odd shaped cutouts, I fumbled around with them for awhile and then it came to me what they were for....

My setup in my Jolly was a125 Cuda, 20 IB 3600, 14XL and a X447/3 it was good for just over 50 mph, I recently put it on 6s but haven't bothered to put the GPS back in it. And if the bounce goes away for good I have a 1527/1D, X450, 240 Hydra and 4s X 2 6500 mAh. My math shows that the 1527/1D will spin about 6000 more rpm and make a ton more power then the 14XL on 6s.
    Last edited by Tuslow1; 11-15-2009 at 02:39 AM.

100 points ! the odd parts are tunnelextensions.
    You will think you've got a different boat, the first time you go out with the extensions/wedge !

I wish I would have asked before I put it together

I used spots of CA to hold it together then went over the seems with 30 minute epoxy... I don't want it to come apart in the water... and yes I put a slight sand scuff on all of the seems before I started.
    Last edited by Tuslow1; 11-19-2009 at 01:16 AM.

ok, I'm at my nerves ends at trying to get the boat to run properly... I've cut the strut out, moved it up and down with no luck. Added the wedge and tunnel extenders, with worse luck!! after I added the pieces from Mr.Toth the boat ran like total crap!!! I'm starting to think I should have never touched it after all, She did her share of bouncing but it ran over 50 mph. I'm about to give it a total drive make over!!! I got a strudder from OSE and I'm cutting out all of the original driveware but leaving the wedge and extenders, this is my last effort to make her run right... after adding the new pieces the prop sucked massive air and when it grabbed water all it would do is hard righthand hooks and spins!

personally I think you have to much weight in the hull. why don't you ask MR. Toth what he recommends for a ready to run weight of that hull.l I will bet its way over weight. 4s1p 6500 and that 15271d you have would be a better set up IMO.

Jeepers I now have a 14XL on 6s2p in it and that is way lighter than the 1527 and 2 4s packs...
    I think the problem was moving the strut around then adding the addon's plus maybe too small of a prop ( X442 ) it ran it's best (55 mph) with 20 sub-c's and a X447/3 with the 14XL.
    Guys told me to raise the strut to stop the porpusing and that was my first mistake, now with the OSE strudder I have easy adjustment, so I think she will be fine.
    She has to do good with the current setup before I dump in the big guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuslow1 View Post
    Jeepers I now have a 14XL on 6s2p in it and that is way lighter than the 1527 and 2 4s packs...
    I think the problem was moving the strut around then adding the addon's plus maybe too small of a prop ( X442 ) it ran it's best (55 mph) with 20 sub-c's and a X447/3 with the 14XL.
    Guys told me to raise the strut to stop the porpusing and that was my first mistake, now with the OSE strudder I have easy adjustment, so I think she will be fine.
    She has to do good with the current setup before I dump in the big guns.
    I said 4S1P not 2p, still I would check with Mr Toth on a what he recommends for a max weight. Every boat has a limit of what weight it can lift and still plane properly. ALSO check were he recomends the CG

Example: Brian Blazer at Blazer Marine recomends the CG at 1" behind the sponsons on his Whiplash 20 with a RTR weight of 5lbs. This changes if the boat is built heavy.

Just recieved my wedge and extensions from Toysport - what is the best method to attach them so they never never come off....anyone

Joseph is an incredible hull designer hands down!