Thread: Newbie with first question......several more to come.

Default Newbie with first question......several more to come.

Good morning all. New to the forum and to RC. I just purchased a 34'" Pro Marine MTR and cant wait for it to get here. According to the manufacturer I will require 2-2s8000 65c with 45c or higher discharge batteries. That being said, he recommends the Pro Marine ones, but I was wondering if you guys were aware of equivalent, or better batteries? I don't see very many, if any, with those identical specifications. I am a tinkerer by nature, but for the time being the boat will remain stock, as I need all of the support items as well, and will have no cash for mods. Boat will be used for fun and just tearing up the pond, no organized racing as of yet. I'd like to eventually mod it, so I want a set of batteries that I can eventually grow into, if that makes any sense. Here are some of the details. Motor – 3674 2075kv brushless Pro Marine RC, ESC – 120a Seaking V3 programable and 6s capable, Hi Torque servo.
    Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 04-30-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: details

Most people run those boats on two 3S packs. I personally like Revolectrix Graphene 70C and Turnigy Graphene 65C packs. You'll likely be shopping for something in the range of a 5000mAh sized pack. Increase the packs capacity and the run times go up, as does weight, size, charge time, and cost.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the quick reply fweasel. I suppose a pair of the OSE offered Revolectrix Lipo Pack 5000mah : Blend420 SILVER Label 70C : Graphene Oxide Hard Carbon Cells would do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Linewbie View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply fweasel. I suppose a pair of the OSE offered Revolectrix Lipo Pack 5000mah : Blend420 SILVER Label 70C : Graphene Oxide Hard Carbon Cells would do the trick?
    yes those would do the trick. stick to 4s unless you plan to do a motor swap in the near future .

The stock components are definitely 6S capable, but you'll be near their safe limit and the ESC will likely not be happy with anything other than wide open passes. 4S will put you closer to the 45mph range, from what I've read about others running that setup, and will be a lower heat setup.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I havnt used them personally but the new Dinogy Ultra Graphene 2.0 80c orange packs are said to be a much better battery than the Dinogy Silver Graphene 70c.
    Last edited by martin; 05-02-2017 at 09:32 AM.

I guess ill run it hard to take advantage of what the boat was built to do and go with a pair of 3s. Thanks Martin, Ill have to do a bit of research on them. A charger is going to be my next investment. Another costly hobby comin' up.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 04-30-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Don't skimp on the charger/power supply, make sure you get one that can deliver the amps to your packs.
    Progressive RC has a nice calculator to help you decide how much power you need depending on the pack size, qty, and charge rates you want:
    http://www.progressiverc.com/chargingdemand

LIPO batteries are inherently dangerous, but with the proper handling are very safe. I recommend reading up on storage and charging of these batteries:
    https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Actually Tameless I'm just reading up on chargers now. My head was spinning with battery selection, there is even more to know about chargers! I understand the value of the extrrnal power sipply, I just doubt its value to me being Im just starting out. Tons of available info out there, I dont think its time to start another thread just yet. Thanks for the links.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 05-01-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    I havnt used them personally but the new Revolectrix Ultra Graphene 2.0 80c orange packs are said to be a much better battery than the Revolectrix Silver Graphene 70c.
    Where are you finding these new packs? Just looked on their site and nothing, I had no idea they have these new 80C packs but where did you find them? Lately I have had alot of my Revo Silver 4.20 70C 6S packs lose a cell, nothing worse than losing an entire pack to one cell...happening way too much for my liking.

Im not sure if the larger Dinogy Ultra packs are available just yet as ive only seen testing & reviews on the smaller packs ie 1300mah & 1500mah.

I havnt used them personally but the new Revolectrix Ultra Graphene 2.0 80c orange packs are said to be a much better battery than the Revolectrix Silver Graphene 70c.
    Im not sure if the larger Dinogy Ultra packs are available just yet as ive only seen testing & reviews on the smaller packs ie 1300mah & 1500mah.
    So are you talking about new batteries from Revolectrix, Dinogy, or both?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

My apologies I got Revolectrix & Dinogy mixed up with the Ultra 80c battery, it should of read Dinogys.