Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The new "boat shop"

I've been meaning to update. We had a nice beautiful warm weekend so I decided to paint the floor. Not just any ole paint. I found a two part epoxy paint that will protect the wood. I work on a lot of different things and spilling fluids is inevitable and a wooden floor with fluid spots will get ugly quick.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Mmm, kinda envisioned a green/CF checker pattern in my head for you Travis. Hehe! We all know CF is tuff!

looks real good, still jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Mmm, kinda envisioned a green/CF checker pattern in my head for you Travis. Hehe! We all know CF is tuff!

looks real good, still jealous.
    Yea well I'm running out of $$ on this project. I've got way more than I figured into it at this point. I have ordering a black 36" wide tool box that would go under the counter but after waiter two weeks I got tired of waiting and canceled it. I'm going pick up some bottom drawer cabinets for it from Home Depot this evening. I need space to put boat parts, motors, escs and crap in. After I put them in this evening I'll post some pics.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I got my work bench almost done. I added two sets of drawers and I think I'm going to add another smaller like on the left , to the right side. What do you guys think?

Well I was going to wait till payday to get the last drawers but I needed to finish it so I could move all my boat parts and supplies in. All these drawers contain boat parts and building supplies that I need to be in quick reach. Will really make things go quicker during builds if I don't have to search for stuff lol

Well I was going to wait till payday to get the last drawers but I needed to finish it so I could move all my boat parts and supplies in. All these drawers contain boat parts and building supplies that I need to be in quick reach. Will really make things go quicker during builds if I don't have to search for stuff lol

You can never have too much storage. Looks great.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks!

To neat...needs more crap in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    To neat...needs more crap in it.
    It'll look like a disaster area in short time, trust me. Lol

I wish my garage looked that neat. I have a 3 car garage that I thought would be plenty big, but it seems the more room you have the more crap you manage to stuff in it

Looks awesome man! I'm sure you will appreciate all your hard eork when you get back to building.

I wanted to give an update. Still not quite done just yet. I'm trying to maximize my storage space and workability in the shop. I've been considering adding compressed air to the shop. But how? The circuit and the wiring the shop is on won't support an air compressor so I had to get creative. (Running heavy duty power to it isn't an option right now). What I did was I sold my dewalt 15 gallon compressor which was always too small for most tasks (grinding, sandblasting, painting etc) and I bought a 27 gallon craftsman professional compressor. It's almost twice the capacity and more cfm and it was $129 off so I couldn't pass it up. It's much quieter and pumps up quicker now. The cool thing is I left it in my house garage and buried the air hose. I bought a nice 100ft hose and ran it inside of pvc pipe that I sealed all of the joints and ran it into the shop to a retractable reel. I machined a fitting that is inline with the hose that I put a pressure gauge in so I can keep tabs on my pressure. The coolest part of it is I can't even hear the compressor kick on.

Notice the pull-up bar? lol I decided to move my weights and workout equipment in the shop because when I'm doing p90x there's some things I feel stupid doing (yoga lol)

I also moved the tv and hung it at an angle plus hooked it up through my stereo. I've become addicted to watching tv now while working lol

I made a holder for all my air tools

Here's a good pic of the outside

Where's the bed? I'd never leave.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Where's the bed? I'd never leave.
    I thought about getting a fouton lol

Just want to say, if your on the fence about getting a retractable air hose, do it. I get so tired of rolling the hose up and when its cold and you have plastic based hose, good luck....it's stiff and hardly manageable. One thing I really regret is not getting the 50ft version. I bought the 25ft version and now I realize I was stupid for squeaking on 20-30 more bucks. I've solved that problem tho, I've gotten so spoiled that I'm moving the 25ft one to my other garage and going to put a 50ft one in this shop. Plus I think I'm adding a retractable extension cord....rolling those up is for the birds.

Forget the P90X, commit to using more space and just get one of these ;-)
    Monster Rack.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf View Post
    Forget the P90X, commit to using more space and just get one of these ;-)
    Monster Rack.jpg
    The wife is wanting me to get a cable machine but I have two four wheelers and a golf cart in there. Right now I have enough space to put a table which makes it nice when I need an extra work space. Funny thing is I have 24ft x 2ft counter and that space gets eaten up pretty quickly. I'm considering making a slide out table in one section on some roller slides like a toolbox has. The hardware store near me carries some super heavy duty ones and this will help me when cutting carbon cloth. I'll glue a cutting board to it (you know the one with 1"/1" squares) so I'll have a nice surface for cutting perfectly square stuff

Boy I got off topic quick lol.

I already have a bench tho, it's one that inclines too. Since my surgery I haven't been working chest heavy anyway, so no need for anything with heavy weights. We have a squat rack at the gym I work out at so less stuff I need at home

Oh yeah I forgot about your surgery, of course, no need for injuries that will take away from boat building! Was initially thinking you could alternate between cutting carbon cloth and doing deadlifts, squats or bench...all max weight too LOL! Truth be told, I actually finally sold my bench and weights yesterday which is why my mind was even on this, good to get rid of it, so difficult to motivate and workout at home as I am sure most will agree with.

Seriously though, your Shop is really coming together beautifully, nice work but still needs beer fridge even if just for show.
    Last edited by Lone-Wolf; 12-11-2016 at 02:36 PM. Reason: poor spelling

Oh yeah I forgot about your surgery, of course, no need for injuries that will take away from boat building! Was initially thinking you could alternate between cutting carbon cloth and doing deadlifts, squats or bench...all max weight too LOL! Truth be told, I actually finally sold my bench and weights yesterday which is why my mind was even on this, good to get rid of it, so difficult to motivate and workout at home as I am sure most will agree with.

Seriously though, your Shop is really coming together beautifully, nice work but still needs beer fridge even if just for show.
    Ummmmm......

(I'm about to head to the store to fill it back up....I'm a wine cooler, daiquiri and vodka kind of person)

Geez I don't know how I missed that, just being a smart-A**. Keep in mind that fridge will be more efficient while fully loaded.

BTW That epoxy floor is awesome stuff, looks great and will last forever, good choice.

Congratulations, it looks awesome!

Thx fellas. It might not be the biggest shop but I'm happy with it. It's very cozy. I changed out the retractable air hose yesterday and added the 25ft to my garage and put a 5ft in my shop. Mo better now. I don't think I told you guys but I'm already planning an add on to the shop. When I get my income tax I'm going to add an 8x10 or 12 to the side of the building. The purpose of that is to get ride of the little plastic shed I have on the side and to add a little more "dirty" storage room. I don't like getting my shop dirty with grass and mud so the lawn mower, lawn tools, bicycles, waste oil containers and extra transmission cases and parts (I rebuild transmissions) are going in this building. Looks something like this but bigger

Jealous!
    Traxxas Spartan, RCBB Zonda-R, Promarine MTR, Proboat IMP 31 v3, PB UL-19, Bonzai FE 47 Skater

How I missed this thread I don't know. Looks like a great place to get work done Travis, nice job! It's cold here in Chicago and snowing, would you consider sub-letting your shop to me till say April?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    How I missed this thread I don't know. Looks like a great place to get work done Travis, nice job! It's cold here in Chicago and snowing, would you consider sub-letting your shop to me till say April?
    I'm sure we can work something out lol.

One small but very important thing to not forget is how you are going to store old and puffy lipo's until you can properly dispose of them, don't wanna risk losing the man-cave! Some old WW2 ammo boxes off to the side would look the part. Actually, now that I think of it, I gotta do the same...I'm such a hypocrite!

One small but very important thing to not forget is how you are going to store old and puffy lipo's until you can properly dispose of them, don't wanna risk losing the man-cave! Some old WW2 ammo boxes off to the side would look the part. Actually, now that I think of it, I gotta do the same...I'm such a hypocrite!
    As soon as I know I need to dispose of any, I shoot them with a .22 or salt water soak them. The .22 is much more fun however.

North of the Border we're stuck with pellet guns and paintballs unfortunately, a .22 does sound fun though but would probably end with a night in the slammer LOL!

North of the Border we're stuck with pellet guns and paintballs unfortunately, a .22 does sound fun though but would probably end with a night in the slammer LOL!
    That is horrible!

On a side note, I picked this up the other day because it was on clearance for $89. 1250fps varmit hunter. I ordered a nitro cylinder conversion for it. Found out real quick how horribly inaccurate it gets when the pellet is right at or just above supersonic speeds. Plus it's loud like a .22 when the pellet breaks the sound barrier, it shoots much better with heavy grain pellets. This is my new more humane way of putting lipos out of their misery lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast