Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new "boat shop"

Default The new "boat shop"

I know this isn't a boat per se, but many boats will come out of this LOL. So as most of you guys know we flooded a month and a half ago. My small workshop (I used it for storing 4 wheelers and working on them plus housing my path/mill) flooded. The floor buckled and the trim started to detach. I had I hauled off. I actually gave it to a friend because he said he was going to repair it (have fun with that lol). FEMA offered us no assistance so to replace all of my lost items I was forced to take out a home equity loan. No insurance either. So be it. Might as well go a little bigger while I'm at it. So because I have restrictions in my neighborhood I couldn't do a sob and metal building. Had to be something that matched the house and had shingles. I was pretty satisfied with my previous shed from tuff shed that I decided on another one. They build it in a day because they permanently it to order. I had a custom size done (18x24) so it took a couple weeks to build before they came assembled it. Enough of the boring dialogue.....on to the pics

Say bye bye!!

Here's they are starting on it.

The frame is going together quickly. I actually had moved it closer to my driveway than the other shed but when I saw how much it was jacked up off the ground to get it level, I had them move it back. I don't think they were happy with me at that point lol

Walls going up

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

This is the most completed pics I have. I wasn't home when it was completed and everyday I've been getting home after dark

I started wiring it up. I used (5) 4ft led strip shop lights. 2100 lumen each. Can you say BRIGHT! I put a 10000btu ac insight in. The outlets have heavy duty 12ga wire going to them. Lights only needed 14ga. It's got an 8ft wide roll up door for putting the golf cart and 4 wheelers in.

I should have plenty of room for my CNC machine, lathe, mill, band saw etc. it's now time for some shelves and a couple cabinets. I have a little mini fridge someone gave me and a tv to go in there for the long haul builds I'll be doing lol.

I'll post more as I get the shelves put in.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Wow... COOL!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I am Jealous!!!! Someday soon I hope!!!!

I can't wait to get this puppy done so I can back to the boat building

Awesome. I'd love to have a work space like that. Are you going to insulate it? That's a knee jerk question from someone who lives where it gets cold, but I suppose it gets plenty hot down there and it would help the AC run a little more efficient.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice Travis, very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Awesome. I'd love to have a work space like that. Are you going to insulate it? That's a knee jerk question from someone who lives where it gets cold, but I suppose it gets plenty hot down there and it would help the AC run a little more efficient.
    Well I don't know yet. The ac seems to keep up well right now. I did pay extra for heat barrier walls and roof panels. It may not be enough come summer time but I'll address it then. I'm overwhelmed at what I've got going on right now. Bout to pull my hair out lol

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Nice Travis, very nice indeed.
    Thx buddy! More boat building room and capabilities. I may add a couple more machines or upgrade my mill/lathe since I've got more room.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Thx buddy! More boat building room and capabilities. I may add a couple more machines or upgrade my mill/lathe since I've got more room.
    I was going to suggest machinery. But you need to get settled into it and comfortable. And don't worry Travis, it will all come together.

The insulation would help with sound too, you could work late and not wake the neighbors. Also as mentioned it will help your ac come summer, looks good nonetheless though. Try to keep your hair in.

Got a good bit done this weekend. Put in 4 sets of cabinets. Put the main shelves in. Put a tire rack for 4 wheeler tires in the rafters. Got the tv and stereo hooked up. Installed a couple pieces of peg board. A few hanging hooks and a rack. I'm going to put a smaller sheft under the big shelf that will hold all my ryobi tools (I have the 40v chainsaw, weedeater, blower and edger attachment).

Tire rack

Here's a couple panoramas

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    The insulation would help with sound too, you could work late and not wake the neighbors. Also as mentioned it will help your ac come summer, looks good nonetheless though. Try to keep your hair in.
    Yea I left the air on yesterday while I ran to Home Depot and it was in the high 80's....when I got back home it was 82 in the shop. I may be buying a bigger ac unit come this summer.

Sound isn't an issue. The houses are spaced very far apart in my neighborhood. I had the stereo cranked up last night. When I was building my drag bike I could crank it up and rev it up in my other shed in the middle of the night and no one ever heard it. I'd even ask to be sure. But yea insulation will still be needed.

ahh the south, i can hardly take a dump without my neighbors knowing about it, cant wait to be in a house instead of an apartment. Your shop is pretty big for a 10000 btu ac , it will probably cool you off when your working at your bench but as for the rest of the shop I feel like you would be best off with a mini-split, it would provide ample cooling and not take up any floor space, the downside is they are a bit costly, averaging around 1,200 and the installation is slightly more involved than the window unit. Then there are also portable floor units to consider, typically more affordable but not quite as much cooling power as a mini split, they take up floor space and you need to run the exhaust outside (should be pretty easy with your window). Then again you could just get a bigger window unit since it looks like you have a big enough window and I believe window units are actually the most efficient (don't quote me on that). Or you could keep you current window unit and add a floor unit to complement it, run both when its really hot and you need to cool the entire space and then once its cool in there you could probably just run one of the units. But of course all of this should take a back seat to recovering from the flood and getting your main house in order.
    Last edited by TheShaughnessy; 10-20-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: slight grammar corrections

ahh the south, i can hardly take a dump without my neighbors knowing about it, cant wait to be in a house instead of an apartment. Your shop is pretty big for a 10000 btu ac , it will probably cool you off when your working at your bench but as for the rest of the shop I feel like you would be best off with a mini-split, it would provide ample cooling and not take up any floor space, the downside is they are a bit costly, averaging around 1,200 and the installation is slightly more involved than the window unit. Then there are also portable floor units to consider, typically more affordable but not quite as much cooling power as a mini split, they take up floor space and you need to run the exhaust outside (should be pretty easy with your window). Then again you could just get a bigger window unit since it looks like you have a big enough window and I believe window units are actually the most efficient (don't quote me on that). Or you could keep you current window unit and add a floor unit to complement it, run both when its really hot and you need to cool the entire space and then once its cool in there you could probably just run one of the units. But of course all of this should take a back seat to recovering from the flood and getting your main house in order.

Well I think the plan is to move all of my stuff out of my boat port (mini garage, it's 20ftx8ft) and move everything into the new shop. I've got much more room. So if I do that I have an 8k ac unit I won't be needing that I can add in there. I'll figure it out when summer hits. Bad thing is I just bought this 10k unit and tossed the box so I can't bring it back unless it develops an issue.

Well I think the plan is to move all of my stuff out of my boat port (mini garage, it's 20ftx8ft) and move everything into the new shop. I've got much more room. So if I do that I have an 8k ac unit I won't be needing that I can add in there. I'll figure it out when summer hits. Bad thing is I just bought this 10k unit and tossed the box so I can't bring it back unless it develops an issue.

Congrats. I still can not give up my shops, though I have slowed a bit more than I wanted. But that is OK. How often does it flood? Possibly you should have thought about stilts for the shop. The houses in the delta it is a requirement.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Congrats. I still can not give up my shops, though I have slowed a bit more than I wanted. But that is OK. How often does it flood? Possibly you should have thought about stilts for the shop. The houses in the delta it is a requirement.
    It's never flooded here like this before. Will it again? It's possible but not likely. The root of the cause (in my neighborhood anyway) was a large beaver damn blocking the water flow. When the drainage district came and knocked it down the water drained very quickly. Hopefully this won't happen again. This shop is actually about a foot higher than the other one. So I guess I'll get about 2ft instead of 3ft feet in there lol. Everything expensive is up high anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Bad thing is I just bought this 10k unit and tossed the box so I can't bring it back unless it develops an issue.
    pin hole leaks happen all the time...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    pin hole leaks happen all the time...
    Funny you say that.....tonight I think it feels like it's not cooling as well lol

After 20 or 30 years it will look like this. As long as no floods. :-)
    DSC00073.jpg
    DSC00074.jpg
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

lol I bet it will!

Wow...
    Nortavlag Bulc

the must funn is setting your shop up to your liking good luck T ,

for the ac look into a Fujitsu split unit great efficient units cheap to run !!

ahh the south, i can hardly take a dump without my neighbors knowing about it, cant wait to be in a house instead of an apartment.

I have discovered that if you spray air freshener before dumping, it will kill the smell better than spraying afterwards. It would be good to spray afterwards also. Lots of trials and testing went into this. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    the must funn is setting your shop up to your liking good luck T ,
    No doubt. I have kinda took a different direction. I had to take some stuff down on the left wall (stereo shelf and yard tool hanger) because I'm building a smaller bench on that wall about 8 ft long. It's going to be a machine only shelf. It will have a drill bread, skil table top band saw, large belt sander, small belt sander, bench grinder and whatever else I can fit lol.

My favorite part. All my little benchtop machines in one spot. I'm going to Home depot today to pick up some vacuum hose and a extra vacuum to hook all those machines up to keep dust and mess down to a minimum

Sa'weet!!!

this is much better then a vacuum T and more fun to set up http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=du...yword_rollover

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast