Thread: Ambient temperature and lipo's

Default Ambient temperature and lipo's

Hi all was running my 2s hydro over the weekend using Thunder power 2s 2700 mah Magna 70 c lipos in 2p format outdoor temp 45 farenheit gps read 37 mph 2 weeks ago outdoor temp was 80 farenheit and was getting gps reading of 41mph ? Could out temperature be a factor or should i be looking else where? Regards Andris Golts.

Temperature absolutely is a major factor in LiPo performance (or about any typical battery for that matter). The higher the temperature, the lower the internal resistance and the higher voltage output. More volts = higher speeds. SAW racers usually heat their packs to ca. 120*F for maximum voltage.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

To add to what Jay posted, when you "hit" a cold lipo with Amps, like I see many of you do in your videos (really should try to SMOOTHLY accelerate, not just PUNCH it...), you can damage/destroy your lipos pretty quickly.

I'd actually contend that more lipos "puff" because of abuse when cold than overuse when hot.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    To add to what Jay posted, when you "hit" a cold lipo with Amps, like I see many of you do in your videos (really should try to SMOOTHLY accelerate, not just PUNCH it...), you can damage/destroy your lipos pretty quickly.

I'd actually contend that more lipos "puff" because of abuse when cold than overuse when hot.
    This is very solid advice and I was reminded of some points I've forgotten.

Steve Reesor used to always heat his packs and Randall Thomas is still running those same cells today.
    , nearly 5 years old.
    Nortavlag Bulc