Thread: ShapeShifter Builds a Twin Outboard Skater

Default ShapeShifter Builds a Twin Outboard Skater

I had one of these MRP Skaters years ago but sold it. I am getting back in to RC boats and recently picked up another one on ebay for way too much money. The kit was pretty complete with both outboards, motors, hardware, and even has a servo/switch type speed control - antique.

I also bought these twin Proboat outboards from an OSE member and I think Im going to use them on the Skater. Although if I can find another suitable cat hull in the 36" to 40" range, I may switch to that. The Proboat outboards may be too heavy for this old girl...

BTW, the first MRP Skater I had back-in-the-day I converted to run a single outdrive. Serious mods the the plastic transom. I never have set one of these up with twins so this will be a new thing for me. Unless I can find a better hull.....

following with interest

Call me fickle but I think an Aeromarine Avenger 36 is what I really need......

Cool

Wow, Make-a-Wake would really dig this one. he and I are both all about old school boats with a preference for super Hawaii's and the twin steerable out drive Traxxas Villain's from the early to mid 80's. Idk what kind of speed and power that boat design is capable of handling or how fast you're planning on pushing it, but you may want to get some carbon fiber cloth and some epoxy or glass resin and do an inlay thru the Hull to add structural strength first.

The more I look at this, the more I think the Proboat motors will be too heavy for this hull. I would nee to get the batteries too far forward and there is little access. It looks like I may use the original MRP outboards on this hull. Maybe I'll get some mild brushless motors for them....

Hi,
    I sent you a message.